The Moderation Myth

Hi Friends,

Thanks for reading this.

I wanted to ask you how many of you have presented the Whole 30 (W30) program to others and those you presented the information to will use the "moderation is the key" or have called the program "extreme?"

I would like your thoughts on this.

My husband said both of those things when I told him I wanted to switch the children's diets to w30 with me. That was 3 weeks ago. Now he wants to do w30 too! The proof is in the pudding. Or lack thereof, so to speak.

I really suck at moderation so the clear cut rules are what help me feel healthy and successful. My husband and stepson love to preach, everything in moderation, so I asked really? There's a moderate amount of cyanide you can consume? They said that wasn't what they meant, I told them I think certain foods are equally poisonous and cannot be consumed safely.

I have learned that I really can't do "moderation" very well. I'm an all or nothing kind of girl. I try really, really hard to be moderate when I'm not doing a whole30, but it always ends up snowballing into over-consumption of something that is toxic in some form or another. I like the black and white rules of the whole30. It's either good for you, or it's not. Done.

A young woman I teach with has rheumatoid arthritis (she's in her early 20's!). I was talking about my current whole30 and she asked about it. I asked her if she read the copy of ISWF that another colleague gave her. She said "yes, but...." and proceeded to list all kinds of excuses about why she couldn't do a whole30 now. I get it-you have to be in the right mind set to do it, but I'm just staggered that someone who struggles with something so painful and debilitating would be more willing to ingest all kinds of chemicals that have horrible side effects instead of trying a natural approach at reducing or eliminating inflammation. I mean, really, what does she have to lose? Hopefully, she'll come around and give it a try. I would love to see how it works for someone with a serious inflammatory issue.

It really is that simple. The excuses baffle me. If you want to feel better and get healthy, eat this way. If not, then keep doing what you're doing. But don't ask me for help and then tell me why it won't work for you.

"Everything in moderation" has become my biggest pet peeve when it comes to healthy eating. It's just not true, and tells me the person saying it knows nothing about nutrition. That statement has become my cue to exit the conversation.

My hubs said the same thing to me as he sat on the couch eating peanut butter cups, with a pile of empty wrappers in front of him and a little bit of belly protruding from his shirt.... I have learned that I cannot get him to follow any eating plan willingly. I will have to be the one doing it without singing the praises and he will have to observe the awesomeness himself in order to want to join in.

I have included my daughter into the program and sneakily removed her sugary cereals and snacks from the house over the past week. She seems to like it, and her behavior has greatly improved and we are only on day 4!

My husband said both of those things when I told him I wanted to switch the children's diets to w30 with me. That was 3 weeks ago. Now he wants to do w30 too! The proof is in the pudding. Or lack thereof, so to speak.

Fabulous! Good job on being diligent and allowing your results to speak volumes!

I really suck at moderation so the clear cut rules are what help me feel healthy and successful. My husband and stepson love to preach, everything in moderation, so I asked really? There's a moderate amount of cyanide you can consume? They said that wasn't what they meant, I told them I think certain foods are equally poisonous and cannot be consumed safely.

BOOM! LOL! Besides moderation is so easily manipulated by certain factors I think.

I have learned that I really can't do "moderation" very well. I'm an all or nothing kind of girl. I try really, really hard to be moderate when I'm not doing a whole30, but it always ends up snowballing into over-consumption of something that is toxic in some form or another. I like the black and white rules of the whole30. It's either good for you, or it's not. Done.

A young woman I teach with has rheumatoid arthritis (she's in her early 20's!). I was talking about my current whole30 and she asked about it. I asked her if she read the copy of ISWF that another colleague gave her. She said "yes, but...." and proceeded to list all kinds of excuses about why she couldn't do a whole30 now. I get it-you have to be in the right mind set to do it, but I'm just staggered that someone who struggles with something so painful and debilitating would be more willing to ingest all kinds of chemicals that have horrible side effects instead of trying a natural approach at reducing or eliminating inflammation. I mean, really, what does she have to lose? Hopefully, she'll come around and give it a try. I would love to see how it works for someone with a serious inflammatory issue.

I agree with the all or nothing. So funny how I use to wrap "moderation" around offending foods. One person I discussed this stated that they were not giving up their wine. I just smiled and when the student is ready, the teacher will appear. The whole argument of "we all respond differently to what we eat" is certainly debunked when you look at how we all are affected by inflammation.

So glad you are back on W30! :)

It really is that simple. The excuses baffle me. If you want to feel better and get healthy, eat this way. If not, then keep doing what you're doing. But don't ask me for help and then tell me why it won't work for you.

"Everything in moderation" has become my biggest pet peeve when it comes to healthy eating. It's just not true, and tells me the person saying it knows nothing about nutrition. That statement has become my cue to exit the conversation.

Exactly! LOL! I just smile and let them go their own way.

Oh, the people who ask for your opinion and then doesn't do them...aren't they irritating?!?

My hubs said the same thing to me as he sat on the couch eating peanut butter cups, with a pile of empty wrappers in front of him and a little bit of belly protruding from his shirt.... I have learned that I cannot get him to follow any eating plan willingly. I will have to be the one doing it without singing the praises and he will have to observe the awesomeness himself in order to want to join in.

I have included my daughter into the program and sneakily removed her sugary cereals and snacks from the house over the past week. She seems to like it, and her behavior has greatly improved and we are only on day 4!

Wowee! Congratulations! Yes, I think your results will speak volumes to him. My Honey stated that she will eat what I'll eat. Our daughter. Hmmm. Your approach is one I may need to follow!

Archived