Is "dessert" EVER okay?

blondie

We are having friends visit from out of town this weekend and I am just trying to finish up my meal planning. I was wondering if it's okay to serve some berries with whipped coconut milk directly after dinner (not a couple of hours later!)? I have read ISWF and understand that paleo-fying desserts to be Whole30 compliant is a big no-no. But is it okay to have some fruit with dinner, in place of dessert? Perhaps I missed something in the book, but can't seem to find a definitive answer on whether "dessert" is okay.

We are on day 5 of our first challenge and I don't want to mess this up. Thanks :)

I am relatively new to this forum, and am on Day 7 of my second W30 (did a successful W40 last year). So please don't give too much weight to what I write here.

First of all, congratulations on Day 5 of your first W30!

If the "sugar dragon" is as real an issue as it is for me, then I think you have to tread very carefully even with naturally occurring sugars like fruit ... especially in the first half of your first W30. Success in slaying the sugar dragon is not just about the technical (avoiding sugar) but also in unwiring long-held social patterns such as "complete meals should include dessert" or "it's odd to eat veg and protein for Meal 1 (breakfast)".

If it is truly a special occasion such as a birthday and there is going to be an expectation on your or your guests' parts for dessert, then what you are proposing is a great plan. And of course, you don't have to eat it, regardless. Finally ... if you are one of the lucky ones that don't struggle with the "sugar dragon" then: 1) I am jealous; and 2) you know your body the best!

That's absolutely fine. Well Fed suggests berries with whipped coconut cream topped with flaked almonds. Obviously you don't want to be scarfing this down every day :) but obviously there may be times we're entertaining, as you say, make it all part of one meal by having it after the main course and you should be fine. even Meliss in the book ISWF accepts that we may need a menu for entertaining and suggests Almond poached pears with raspberry cream. good luck

• Moderators

Psychology is an important part of why we frown on "dessert." Your Whole30 is a time to create new habits and break some old, unhealthy habits and for many people, dessert is a bad habit. That said, as the others noted, berries with whipped coconut milk makes a nice finish to a meal with guests.

I was also wondering about the place of dessert in a psychologically healthy eating plan. Food is nutrition, but it also plays an important social function in our lives. Enjoying a healthy, tasty dessert with others after a meal is really enjoyable. If it is healthy (normal portion of fruit with a little sweet topping) and makes us happy, why is this bad?? I honestly don't know if I have a sugar dragon anymore, but I can be totally happy after 1/2 oz of dark chocolate or a bowl of berries with some caramelized banana on top!

I was also wondering about the place of dessert in a psychologically healthy eating plan. Food is nutrition, but it also plays an important social function in our lives. Enjoying a healthy, tasty dessert with others after a meal is really enjoyable. If it is healthy (normal portion of fruit with a little sweet topping) and makes us happy, why is this bad?? I honestly don't know if I have a sugar dragon anymore, but I can be totally happy after 1/2 oz of dark chocolate or a bowl of berries with some caramelized banana on top!

Hi Jennifer!

In the overall context of life, no it's not "bad." Life comes with many experiences, even obligations, and often celebratory foods and drinks are a part of those. And, often, those are sweets. In the context of a Whole30, where your goal is to change your hormones, your habits and your overall way of thinking, "desserts" are out. We want you to have every chance to discover those habits and break them, to discover that you really don't need something sweet after every meal, and to give yourself the willpower to say no thank you when you really ought not to have that cookie (for whatever reason that may be), and to nourish your body with the healthiest foods you can.

I hope that helps!

Archived