Physician Healing Herself

Pea

Hi. I'm a nearly-60-year-old newly retired physician. In the past 5 years, I have had three major surgical procedures (two cervical spine fusions for severe spinal arthritis) and one hysterectomy. I have autoimmune disease (a history of Crohn's colitis, the associated autoimmune spinal arthritis, and now-treated late-diagnosed Lyme disease. I also have a stressful life.

I'm Fat. Sick. But not dead yet...:) I'm just tired as hell.

I know if I go to my Lyme doc, I'll get more antibiotics. (Don't want.)

I know if I go to my rheumatologist, I'll immunosuppessor drugs. (Don't want.)

I know if I go to my gastroenterologist, I'll get azulfidine. (Don't want.)

I AM working with a holistic nutritionist who is doing a workup and has already told me my diet is going to consist of grassfed meat, fish, vegetables, avocados, berries, and coconut oil. No nightshades, no eggs. If I understand it correctly, it's essentially the autoimmune W30 protocol.

So I'm coming here. I've just purchased the book IT STARTS WITH FOOD for my Kindle; I'm about to head out to my local farmer's market, and I'm going to officially start as soon as I get the book read, and the kitchen prepared.

My whole family is sick in one way or another, so I pray this will help all of us. My hubby is 100 lbs. overweight and diabetic, my 22 year old son has autism and Lyme disease (and is disabled), my 21 year old son has anxiety issues and acne. (He's living at home and doing great in college.)

3...2...1....GO!

Pea

Thank you. I am almost finished reading the book, and I guess today is the day, because I managed today well: breakfast was a grassfed beef burger with cooked brussel sprouts and olive oil; lunch was hardboiled eggs with green salad and raw red cabbage; dinner will be pastured lamb liver with roasted root vegetables and raw greens. I am so glad I am doing this.

Welcome Pea,

I'm a healthcare provider too. I must say that I enjoy this 'practicing what I preach' thing. I have been such a

the hypocrite, counseling folks on nutrition, exercise and healthy sleep, when I myself was eating crap, sitting on the couch at

midnight ;). Glad you're here!

There is a lot of helpful information about special ways to prepare your vegetables in the IBS/IBD section of the book- immediately following the section on AIP. It makes specific mention for those with Chrohn's, etc, to cut up vegetables finely and eat well cooked. I have just started the IBS protocol after experimenting with only eating pureed root vegetables and all other veggies (especially the FODMAPS) only cultured, both of these alongside my grassfed ground beef. I thrive on that diet. I only mention this to bring awareness to the potential pitfalls of eating some vegetables raw or undercooked.

Hi, Pea.

Since you responded to my welcome mesage, I thought I'd do the same for you. Sounds like you have more than your share of chronic conditions. For me, it's mostly weight (about 70 lb too much), and the resulting, constant aches and pains. But also CPAP controlled sleep apnea, statin-controlled high cholesterol, and a family history of diabetes that I don't want to repeat. I actually had Lyme, too, last year, but caught it right away and was able to get rid of it with only a course of antibiotics.

I notice you are a doctor. I am a medical editor and have been working in the area of diabetes since 1996. I edit two quarterly journals of the American Diabetes Association and work with lots of PCPs, endos, nurses, dietitians, and psychologists on various publications and professional education initiatives. All this means is that I know just enough about nutrition to know I'm doing it wrong. I'm trying the Whole30 with the idea that it will help me break out of bad habits such as excessive snacking, relinquish my over-dependence on carbs, and perhaps ease whatever inflammation causes me to constantly ache as if I'm 89 instead of 49. Luckily, I don't have any digestive diseases or severe food allergies (that I know of), so I'm not sure whether I'll continue on with this beyond the month or try to add back in a few reasonable portions of whole grains and occasional dairy. I'm not sure yet.

I will say that after only a day and a half on the program, I'm already feeling better. Maybe it's akin to a placebo effect, since I'm expecting to feel better. We'll see. Anyway, I hope it works out for you and that we can maybe give each other moral support if our resolve starts to crumble during this month.

Good for you for putting your own health first! I'm a teacher but I have several friends and relatives that are health care workers and they all are very unhealthy. Those long hours and stress it seems take a toll.

I just finished reading a great book Good Calorie, Bad Calorie by Gary Taubes. I liked it a lot (he has a more accessible shorter book 'Why We Get Fat' with a lot of the same info). I really, really enjoyed the background history of how nutrition science unfolded in the US. It is pretty enlightening stuff. He is a journalist so I really enjoyed his writing style.

I just started my second Whole30. It is great you are reading ISWF. I am re-reading it as I go along!

Good luck on your journey to health! I was able to get my husband on board which helps. I wish you great success!

Archived