What do you drink?

Whipple

I can't stand water most of the time. Adding just some lemon juice doesn't help. I love tea (and I hate coffee), but it has to be sweet. Truly sweet. Southern sweet tea. I also like lemonade and pink lemonade. I occasionally drink raw milk, too, sometimes with something added for flavoring. But none of these are allowed with this diet. If I'm not careful, I could go by without drinking anything and not even notice, or just barely notice. But I'm almost 16 weeks pg and I can't be doing that. So I have to figure out something I'm allowed to drink that I'll like. So what do you drink?

You are so right about your baby needing you to hydrate! I was a sweet drinker in my past and it has been a slow evolution to drinking all kinds of unsweetened teas, water, and kombucha.

I wonder if you could add a few bits of fruit to your water (melon, berries) and drink that. Maybe you could have that fruit at your next meal. I think that would be compliant and would help you transition to water. Thirst can be confusing, but it doesn't take too much training to teach your mind and body to remind you to "drink to thirst." Not doing so will result in all kinds of crappy feelings that you may associate with hunger or the Whole30. Oh, and peaches are nice in tea if you find yourself missing the caffeine, at first.

Gingerade kombucha from GT's is really nice. If you like lemonade and experience any tummy trouble, you may really like it. I read to start with just a little and to filter it. It is a fermented tea and is really yummy!

Part of this journey is doing without all sweets. We have overstimulated our palates for decades with artificial additives, so natural flavors seem tasteless at first.

I think this is a case of "just do it". Just start drinking water, like it or not, and once the sugar dragon quiets down you may find it's not so bad. I never thought I could drink black coffee, but here I am preferring it. Me, the 'extra light with two sweeteners' girl! Over time, by refusing to give in, my tastes have changed.

I'm sure you don't 'love' your pre-natal vitamins, but you take them because they are good for you and your baby. Give the same treatment to water for a week or two. You don't have to like it, but it's good for you. So just do it. I'd bet money that you'll start to enjoy it sooner than you think.

You know, the funny thing is that other than drinks (and I drink very little), I hardly have any sweets at all--most often none. I only make desserts a handful of times a year for special occasions. I don't want my savory foods sweetened at all. I can very easily pass on the sweet stuff. But sweetening my drinks is how I've gotten myself to drink at least a little. I can handle water in small amounts if it's filtered and cold. So I just have to remember to keep myself some water in the fridge, since we don't have room for an ice cube tray in the freezer and don't have an ice dispenser.

• 4 weeks later...

What about fruit-infused waters? It won't be super flavorful, and it won't be super sweet, but it would give you a bit of flavor at least, which might make it a bit more palatable. I've infused water with mango and with blackberries with great success.

Also, maybe a tea with a strong flavor. I know alot of teas have soy letchin in them, but, for example, Taxo Passion tea is fairly fruity tasting and sweet, but has no soy in it! I would recommend that(though you should check with your doctor, because I know some teas are not allowed during pregnancy).

If you really needed to, you could add a small amount of unsweetened juice to water, just like you do with a lemon. Then, if that works, you could cut back on how much you add, until you can drink the water plain.

I drink Gerolsteiner mineral water. It's got bubbles, but more importantly, it has minerals, like magnesium.

I drink A LOT of herbals teas, but hot: rooibos chai tea in the morning, detox tea in the afternoon, and chamomile and kava kava tea in the evening.

It does take some getting used to. In the hot weather, I like to make strong herbal tea with a little crushed fruit and chill it in the frig. You can make little fruit/tea ice cubes and pop them into your water! I am picturing a nice frozen fruity herbal ice cube with a single raspberry frozen inside popped into a glass of sparkling water. So nice! I think I've even inspired myself...:)

Pea

I drink a lot of herbal tea. Mint and chamomile are my favorites, but there's lots of good flavors out there that would be compliant. You can make herbal tea cold, too - mint is especially good that way, very refreshing in the summer time.

Other than that, I drink plain water, black coffee, and occaional black tea. I also have some coconut water at home, but I don't drink it very often - only after a particularly hard workout or if I'm feeling really dehydrated.

I hear ya. I've never been good at drinking water for the sake of drinking water thing myself. But I've faithfully been drinking (3) 24-oz tumblers of ice water with lemon. Sometimes a lime. I will be trying some infused waters this summer as well.

I also love La Croix sparkling water. The Berry and Grapefruit are my faves.

Tea-wise, do you like Chai? If you can get to a Trader Joe's, the Ruby Red Chai is awesome. It tastes like a Starbucks Chai – all of those yummy, gingerbread-y spices, but without the cloying sweetness. (But I do think it's sweet enough for a sweet tooth.) I drink it straight-up (hot or cold), as I found adding any coconut milk to it just dilutes it.

i drink the best tea in the world.....Good Earth organic herbal sweet and spicy....make sure you get the herbal and not the black tea kind it is so good i had to post once and ask if i could drink this liberally

Try a fruit concentrate. I add a tablespoon of cranberry or cherry concentrate (100% fruit concentrate) to my water or sparkling water. I do it for the same reason; I still have a very hard time just drinking water. It doesn't add sweet it just adds flavor.

Archived