Daughter's 5th bday!!!

Evelyn Benchimol

My daughter's 5th bday is in 2 weeks and I want to keep it as W30 compliant as possible. I know that this will involve "paleofying" things which is not totally W30 kosher but I HAVE TO do something to keep it somewhat normal. 5 is BIG and I do not want to disappoint! My kids aren't doing the W30 but most meals at home are compliant besides them gettng raw dairy and non compliant meals at daycare.

Any tips/recipes for me. Most kids are quite picky but I don't want to dish out the usual treats we wouldn't even eat normally!

I recently experimented with homemade Jellies (Great lakes gelatin/water/peppermint oil/stevia) and will will try other flavours (coconut milk, blueberry, sour citrus). They could be fun for them. Maybe apple/nut butter sandwiches. Veggie platter fo sho! Maybe a fruit platter too. Need a bit more food though... maybe grilled chicken strips or meatballs they can dip in ketchup (homemade of course). Is there a way to make a bday cake or cupcakes or other treats that will wow them??? HELP!

My 6 year old is already planning his sugar free/grain free birthday party to include a tiered "cake" made of watermelon and decorated with fruit. You could make meatloaf cupcakes piped with puréed sweet potaoes or carrots and beets. You can easily wow friends, kids, and family with compliant healthy food and redefine what celebratory food looks like. And when everyone leaves your party without a carb coma they will have some food for thought as well.

Cool ideas Moluv.... but seeing as my kids aren't really full on paleo or W30 (and my daughter is super quick on me trying to switch things up or "trick" her), I don't think that type of "cake" would fly! But you just gave me an idea.... instead of a fruit platter I will make one of those "Edible Arrangements" baskets with the fruit.

If anyone has a tried and true "paleofied" bday cake or cupcake recipe I'd appreciate it. And an icing one. I was thinking a coconut icing but hear you have to do it immediately before serving as it doesnt hold up very well .....maybe I could do something with meringue (but that takes a lot of sugar I think) <_<

I'm thinking of dates and figs as ways to sweeten. My husband and I celebrated our first W30 with a tiny slice of fig cake. Ingredients were figs and nuts. Not sure if kids would like them. Perhaps they could be made with all manner of dried fruits mashed together. That would be total SWYPO, but it would have compliant ingredients. Applesauce and juice might help.

I have seen paleo recipes for cupcakes, bars, and cookies. Some of them are mostly compliant, but sweetened. Maybe if you aren't eating any, you can find a recipe that will please the crowd. Or, you might ask how other parents have handled this transition with their kids in the kids section.

I know the recipes exist if you look for paleo desserts, but we aren't supposed to post those here.

There's a paleo carrot cake made with almond flour and it has coconut frosting that's posted on lots of people's blogs so I assume it works and is good! I think they're all adapted from one on Elana's Pantry blog.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is too late, but zenbelly's blog has an amazing flour less chocolate cake. It isn't 100% compliant as it contains sugar, & is also a cake (SWYPO). Post whole30 I've made these as cupcakes for a birthday party, & people keep requesting that I make them. I've had no luck with the coconut topping though (can't find coconut milk without guar gum in it, so it doesn't deprecate)

http://zenbellyblog.com/2013/02/13/no-joke-dark-chocolate-cake/

Archived