CALLING ALL UK Whole30/Post-Whole30-ers!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mrsmaggie, I got my scoby from here http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Happy-kombucha?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 and it's been fine. I also grew one from a bottle of plain gokombucha and, although it took longer, I can't tell which is which now :)

Wholefoods is quite something isn't it? Last time I was there I found fresh raw sauerkraut and it was delicious. I've become hooked onTom's idea of sardines and sauerkraut and, since I'm currently on the AI protocol, it became my go-to breakfast til I ran out.

Jodea, providing you don't have a problem with yeast extract, the Marigold, red organic bouillon cubes look ok. I personally try to avoid yeast extract because I feel I react to it like I do to MSG but it's not banned on a W30.

Tesco's also apparantly has compliant fish sauce but not in the one near me :(

Thanks everyone re the salmon and stock ... will go to Lidls, and excited to find there are some stock options out there. Made soup over the weekend with water rather than stock and now it's sitting in my fridge looking at me because it's just not as nice without stock and I have no desire to eat it. :P  Must go source stock, bin current soup and start again!

Day 1 didn't happen on 5th June as I got invited to my sister's over the weekend and I figure for my first W30 going to stay in someone else's house was not setting myself up for success! Still, have started today so here we go. Now I've got stock and salmon sorted I think I'm good.

Christina - I had a look at your fbook page, looks good, I am on day 3 now, and you will be approaching the halfway mark. How are you feeling? Stick with it, when I did my first whole30, I had a magic day after a couple of weeks but then day 26 was even better, it is worth it.

I am feeling slightly foggy and tired however I also feel much better in other ways. 

Kirsteen thanks for the link, I might look to getting the scoby once I finish up for annual leave in a couple of weeks, everyday life is a blur right now. Yes I did like the Wholefoods shop, spent too much money unsurprisingly!

Oh also if its useful to anyone I got a pack of smoked salmon from the Co-op the other day, it wasn't their brand, think it was called "posh cuts" - bits of smoked salmon, it was either 65g or 90g for 99p (I think), and was compliant. I try to shop in Lidl/Aldi in Stirling for stuff but the Co-op is here in Denny so it was easier. They are building an Aldi in Camelon though which is a 5 minute drive yay!!! great for the bank balance.

xx

MrsMaggie - very similar here. 

I am getting back to my second Whole30 in a few weeks.  I just spent 10 days on holiday in Portugal and ate way too much bread and sugar.  No excuses either as there were plenty of compliant or near compliant options - salads, grilled fish etc. - it's just I ate them all with a bread roll and dessert!  I'm not doing the full W30 yet as have a few celebrations planned (a lovely hotel birthday afternoon tea - about the most non compliant meal ever .. sandwiches and cakes!)  but am trying to get back as close as possible between meals out.  Already I have a shocking carb withdrawal headache. 

My husband has also recently started asking for me to do his lunchboxes too as he had lunchbox envy but I'm finding it a right pain to do as he is allergic to fish, nuts and eggs so I am having to buy a lot of meat.  He still has his weetabix for breakfast :-( He can't have eggs and thinks eating leftovers/"meal 1" type meals is just weird however hard I try. 

Waitrose do stock a sugar free smoked salmon in their london stores - H.Forman and Sons - but it is a premium product ... Â£5.49.  the co-op one sounds a better bet financially!   

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all I am from the UK too and glad I have found this thread ... I am from Nottingham and looking forward to reading back this thread of tips and where to get things. Has anyone forums spaghetti squash?

I am on day 20 and loving today's sunshine... BBq it it I think :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking for spaghetti squash (and jicama and collard greens and chard and fire roasted tomatoes) for the last three or so years and haven't seen it in any of the big supermarkets.

You could always try growing your own :)  (It's on my list for when we eventually get our allotment.) 

Hello all!  I'm currently growing about 10 spaghetti squash plants and they're thriving.  As I didn't have much garden space I planted them in huge containers on the patio- it can be done!  The garden centre manager down here was extremely sceptical of me doing this!! I found the seeds at a centre here, but you can order them online.  You'll be a little late in planting this year, but plant indoors beginning of May next year and transfer to a larger pot or to the ground when the temperature is no longer freezing at night.

I'd be happy to post out any seeds from my crop in the autumn once harvested and eaten :D  If you live in Devon... I miiiiiight share a squash ;)

Julie, glad to hear that you've had success growing them in containers.  I might need to takeover one of the potato containers for next year. 

I was put off trying this year because of my rubbish luck with courgettes and aubergine last year.  (And I hated spaghetti squash as a kid... along with nearly all other veg, so that's just a silly reason)

The chard is doing well, I just wish that I'd planted more of it.

Annabel, I think I've just been incredibly lucky with the weather that we've been having.  My FIL is growing them in his greenhouse on the Western Isles and he's having success- although mine are growing at a quicker rate (It's been a bit of a competition ;) ).

Currently only growing spaghetti squash, butternut squash, pumpkin (I like my squash!) and tomatoes.  Hopefully next year I'll do sweet potatoes and courgettes- once we have our own garden!  

Good to hear your chard is doing well- yum!

Let me know if you want any seeds!!

• 2 weeks later...

How is everyone doing?!  I haven't heard from some of you in awhile.

Went to my first farmer's market this past weekend and to my first high street butcher that I know is compliant with everything yesterday - exciting!  At the farmer's market was a local community-run allottment who also does weekly boxes.  Not sure if I'll do that, but I think I might get my kids involved there... It's called the Windmill Project.  I also asked her about spaghetti squash and she hasn't done them this year, but she said she'd grow them for me next year!!!!  YAY!

I'm looking to do my second Whole30 in August with the big one Whole9 is promoting.  Anyone else in the UK doing this as well????  :D

If anyone lives in Cheshire there is a superb farm shop called "Artisan Meats" that does the best grass fed beef around that area. I think they deliver now but I am not sure as I have not been there for a year (since I moved away). Furthermore, they do some wild boar bacon which is flipping amazing I tell thee!

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm back! I posted on here a few weeks ago that I was starting but for reasons that are mostly excuses it just didn't happen. But I guess I just wasn't ready enough to make a change. My partner and I are now on day 9 of our whoke30 and are doing really well. I miss my morning latte on the way to work but actually when I think about it it's the idea of it more than the reality that I miss.

I realise there is still a long way to go but I really feel like I am at the point where "I've come this far" and I really don't want to start over. The candy bar enjoyment would not outweigh the disappointment at failing after getting to one third of the way through.

Day 7 though was a killer for me. I was so wiped out. Since then I've developed a cold. I don't know if this is entirely coincidence or if my body is confused by the sudden lack of coffee and cake!!

Incidentally all I have had to drink is water and a lot of it. How much is too much? People keep telling me to be careful not to drink too much.

Hi Christina, I am drinking a lot! I drink at least 3 750ml camelback water bottles per day at work, at least one large glass of water before I leave for work, and then I have a glass or water bottle in my hand all evening - refilling as soon as it is empty. I've always found that the more water I drink the more I want.   I also realise that before my whole 30 I was drinking the same volume of liquid per day - but it was in the form of either vanilla lattes, or tea/coffee with milk and sugar.

I wouldn't panic about too much water as long as you're getting enough salt(s)? Cutting out processed foods means we don't accidentally get sufficient salt. So feel free to season! Bone broth is another good source of minerals.

Here's an article on Wikipedia about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

I drink that much sometimes and don't have any problems.  I do agree with making sure you're not on a low-sodium diet.  Also, make sure that you're not substituting water for food.  As long as you're getting in three meals a day that follow the Meal Template I think you're probably fine with the water.  If you're feeling ill, try cutting back a bit. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sainsbury's do a compliant smoked salmon - it's in their 3 for £10 offer.

And Waitrose have some cooked wiltshire ham that is ok as well.

I get scd sausages & nitrate free bacon from Devon Rose http://www.devonrose.com/shop/free-from-nitrate-free.html

I'm on day 4 of my second W30, doing ok so far.  Glad I found this thread, some useful info :)

Sainsbury's do a compliant smoked salmon - it's in their 3 for £10 offer.

And Waitrose have some cooked wiltshire ham that is ok as well.

I get scd sausages & nitrate free bacon from Devon Rose http://www.devonrose.com/shop/free-from-nitrate-free.html

I'm on day 4 of my second W30, doing ok so far.  Glad I found this thread, some useful info :)

Thanks for the tips Jenmer!  Just FYI - several of us Brits are doing a September Whole30 together and I'm posting on it from my fb page if you'd like to join us! www.facebook.com/practicingprimal

=0) Christina

Archived