E471: Mono- and diglycerides of fatty acids

E330: Citric Acid.

The only additives/preservatives/etc. that the Whole30 forbids is:

E-150b (sulphite)

E-150d (sulphite)

E-221 TO E-228 (sulphites)

E-407 (carrageenan)

E-621 (MSG or Ve Tsin)

(this is from another link http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6470-pay-attention-to-these-e-numbers/ and those are the ones that he found that contained sulphites, carrageenan and MSG, - the only 3 big no-nos for Whole30 - but still double check E numbers on the internet in case he missed some!)

While you want to stay away from most processed things that have E numbers, there are some "whole foods" that are Whole30 compliant - like meats (ie. bacon) and coconut milk - that will have something in them!

Oh great, thanks for the info Christina.

I've generally avoided anything that came in a can/jar/plastic etc just to be on the safe side so I get extra paranoid when I do want to use something like coconut milk. Rogan Josh here I come!

Hi Annabel, yes E471 *may* be derived from vegetable oils, we just don't really know. Now vegetable oils are on the better to avoid list. I guess it's an argument in favour of eating as unprocessed as possible. However if everything that *may*, *could*, or *possibly* contain minute amounts or be derived from something we'd rather not have, were banned, then we'd all have to eat nothing but home reared animals and home grown veg. Now this would be an absolutely awesome way to live but unfortunately way beyond most of us.

However, if you decide, personally, you wish to avoid it that's fine, we just all do the best we can.

Kirsteen, fair enough.

For me though, I'm concerned that vegetable=corn and I already know that I don't get on well with corn. (I put on about half a stone after eating corn tortillas at a Mexican restaurant.

I'm not sure what creamed coconut (Barts from Waitrose/Ocado) is, but I'm planning to give that a go and see how that compares to using coconut milk

You want to avoid it, that's great. I don't like eating anything myself if I don't know exactly what it is. I'm a touch paranoid that way :) I get my coconut milk from Amazon, it's got nothing in it except coconut extract and water

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRS-Coconut-Milk-400-Pack/dp/B004O0ATVW/ref=sr_1_3?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1364317143&sr=1-3

I've got the Barts as well. I buy the packets of 4 individual sachets. I like it but it's not the same as coconut milk, it's more like coconut manna. It's not smooth, it's gritty. I tried it in coffee but it wasn't a great success but it's lovely added to soups and curries.

Yes free delivery and subscribe and save means it's £13.61 for 12 tins. you can decide how often you want it, cancel at any time or delay deliveries to suit. I love it but be warned it was Derval who put me onto it and she doesn't like it

Hope you like it. I love it and, yes, I was impressed too by the ratio. It's always separated 'cos there's nothing like guar or xanthan gum in it. I need to take a knife to get it out of the tin but it blends up easy or you can just use the thick bit for cooking etc, whatever you like.

Archived