Different source of energy?

EmmaSthlm

I am doing my second W30. Both yesterday and today I have been working out really hard, and both days the same thing happened. And when I look back at my log from my first W30, I can see it happened then as well.

When I work out really hard (high-intensity interval training yesterday, spinning today), I run out of energy completely. I feel like I will faint, puke, or die after about ten minutes. I hit a wall. But then it changes and the energy returns. 45 minutes into the spinning class today, I had more energy than usual.

It is like my body does not know where to get its energy from; as if the step to the "second wind" is higher than ever. But finally, after having looked around for a while, the body finds the energy - and then it uses it more efficiently than ever.

Am I the only one encountering this? Are there any explanations?

I'm no athlete, but from vague memories of biochemistry 101 I think the high intensity exercise churns through your easy to access glycogen stores, then you hit a wall as your body switches over to fat burning mode. Once the switch has happened and your body is efficiently burning the fat, you get your energy back.

Are you in the early stages of your Whole30? Maybe this will become less of a problem as time goes by and you become more fat adapted :)

Yes glycogen plays a role.....

Doing explosive exercises you use creative phosphate and ATP ( no glycogen) and contractions will last for up to 10-15 seconds and done.... Think high jump boxes, dead lifts etc

Doing extreamly hard exercise while crossing your anabolic threshold you use stored muscle glycogen and lactate for energy.... Both are converted into ATP. 1-15 min worth of work.... but once it's used up at that particular muscle group, your body cannot recruit from other areas... Bonk city.. Advanced atheleats can train to push their threshold and extend this range but converting lactate into ATP is hard on you and your heart rate..... More important hydrogen ion waste turns into toxic acidosis ( cramps...fatigue).

If you stay at or below your anaerobic threshold you are in the oxygen utilizing zone and using liver/blood glycogen...... 60-90 min work

What I'm getting at in regards to w30...... Your body is already under stress from a change in fuel sources from the diet ..... And I know from experience that I cardiac drift ( from heating up, conversion of energy sources) will elevate my heart rate into a higher zone with less perceived work.... And leed to the " bonk" quicker

Slow down your pace just a bit for the first 20 min of your routine.... You won't crap out as quickly

Give your body a chance to acclimate and with in two to three weeks you will be on fire...

Make sure you are eating enough leafy and starchy vegetables to replenish glycogen stores, and eat recovery meals....

Fat adaptation is not what it seems...... If you train well below your anaerobic threshold.... Your body will spare glycogen and use not dietary fat but stored body fat for energy ........ By training in this zone you will increase your cell mitochondria by 1000% and beable to utilized stored body fat..... Most elite atheletes train this way in the off season.

A, I'm gonna move this one for you Emma :)

2, Fender - how can we tell where that anabolic threshhold is?

The general consensus is 80-90% of max heart rate..... You can approximate it but I think you really need to be at a sports medicine clinic and measure your VO2 max, etc.... To really nail it exactly....

All,the endurance athletes I know stick to around 70-75% max and don't cross it when they are in a "off season" building phase.... Lets say your a runner.... Set your HRM to alarm at 70% and stay there.... You run specific amount of time, say 90 min and see how far you go....

As your cell mitochondria build and you convert fat into ATP..... you should see your mileage go up in the same set time and heart rate. So you can run faster at the same heart rate. You have maxed your aerobic fat burning engine out when your times no longer improve. I know people who have shaved a full min off their mile times by simply slowing down for two months....

Well that's about all I know about it...hopefully someone else can add....

My main point was while doing a W30 I found it useful to slow my roll the first few weeks and let my body get used to it.... :)

Archived