Cholesteral levels are up ...not happy!

suzytee

I started Whole9 the day after Thanksgiving 2012, and did a Whole30 beginning Jan. 1st. I have continued very closely with the Whole9 template, not re-introducing grains or beans at all and only a small amount of dairy that might slip in when traveling...and probably trace amounts of sugar. So I had my yearly physical...my Doc is wholistic and was very happy to hear about my recent food choice changes though I have always been very healthy. We both thought it would be interested to test my blood levels since I did not do them last year. I think we were both puzzled that they went up from 198 to 260 and she said it appears to be the bad levels that have risen. I wasn't able to speak to her in person but just got a phone message. I will talk to her tomorrow but she suggested a further test to find out exactly what has change. So ...what do you all think...less eggs!! Eating about 3 a day plus whatever might be added to recipes. EEEEEK! I am soon to turn 58 and don't like this at all. I have always been healthy and felt no major health changes after my whole30 except a lovely new relationship with food and a great feeling about the choices I was making. Bleh!

The best explication of this issue is a post on Mark's Daily Apple, and it can be found here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread4723.html

Print it out, take it with you to the doc. Make sure doc does the test that measures particle size of LDL: the big fluffy ones are thought not to be associated with illness.

My total cholesterol is high about 230, my HDL is about 70; and my triglycerides are low, below 50. So I don't worry, even though one of my doctors wanted to put me on a statin. NEVER, I say. Statins have NOT been shown to be heart protective in women, especially with no family or personal history of heart disease. (In other words, in women, high cholesterol itself is not sufficient reason to take a statin.)

Finally, if you look at mortality rates, high risk men who take statins have lower mortality from cardiac disease, but they have higher rates of mortality from cancer. Statins are somewhat anti-inflammatory, which is probably why they work in high risk men----they reduce inflammation. More and more, inflammation is seen as the underlying issue in heart disease, not cholesterol levels in and of themselves.

This isn't meant as medical advice, just information.

Pea

Renee, I didn't need to loose weight but I lost a little about 5 lbs. My Doc wasn't concerned about it at all. I'm sure I have no thyroid issues...my Doc says I'm one of the healthiest people she knows.....of course that was before the test. Pea....thanks for the article...I will take it in when we have the 2nd test done.

Yep, my doc was the same way (holistic, happy with my diet, shocked about the cholesterol numbers) until I shared with her that post. She did some of her own research and agreed that my numbers are nothing to worry about.

The biggest factor for me was that my trig's were so low that it made my LDL look a lot worse than it really was...just because of calculation methods!

Well, isn't this perfect timing!

Just got my results today, and my cholesterol is up as well. My total chol has always been high, never below 200, even in my 20s. Familial.

Heart disease does run in my family. My mother had a triple bypass at the age of 38, in 1982 (when it was not done as commonly as it is today), and she died at 54. A lot of it was lifestyle, true, but still.

Reading this article now. Thank you for posting.

Well I read all the info above. I was able to speak with my Doctor who knew all about fluffy vs. dense etc. She is going to order the test that will tell us. Good news is that my good cholesteral went way up so that was great. I will keep you posted as to test results.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived