Can I have Chia Seeds?

ecophreak

The bag they came in only says "chia seeds". Nothing added.

So I guess my question really is, are chia seeds really seeds? Like lots of people think corn is a vegetable, but it's really a grain (or is it a legume?), so it's not compliant. And people argue about what quinoa is, if it's a grain or a seed.

The reason I eat them is they're supposed to be full of minerals (calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, molybdenum, niacin, and zinc). I also like adding them to water to change the consistency and mix things up (makes it chewy). Some people on the internets report increased energy, though I haven't seen that personally yet.

So, what do you think? Can I eat them?

• 1 month later...

So, I saw them mentioned in ISWF as not great, but they weren't on the actual DO NOT EAT list that I recall. Once since I started (yesterday, as a matter of fact), I had an unsweetened kombucha with chia. It was 100 degrees here, and it was really cold, and the only thing offered besides water, and dinner was getting late, so I was peckish. I knew it wasn't optimal, but this is the first I'd heard it was actually off. Does this mean, I just got demoted back to day one? :(

Archived