What Constitutes a Slip-Up?

I am new to the paleo lifestyle and am on day 4 of my Whole30. I have been doing great and not experiencing a lot of detox symptoms, because I wasn't eating SAD before (I'm mostly just cutting out all sugar and legumes in addition to my normal routine--and making NO exceptions for once). I was just wondering if having a single bite of something should be considered a slip-up that results in starting the whole program over. I agree that having a chocolate bar or a sandwich with real bread should result in a re-do, but if I had one bite of something to taste a meal I was preparing for others, does that really mean I need to start the Whole30 over? I've been totally strict so far, but I prepare food for others a lot, and taking a bite just to make sure it's to taste is kind of important. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!

I recently saw a thread involving professional chefs and bakers and the answer is that you can't taste non-compliant food and eat Whole30. The goal is to reset your body and mind and that won't work if you are putting harmful ingredients in. You won't know how good you may feel until you give 100% clean eating a try. Putting in even just a little of something non-compliant is important. You are worth a full Whole30.

I agree it's really difficult when you're cooking noncompliant food for others and want to taste it. Can you possibly get anyone else to taste it for you? The thing is, the W30 is basicallly an exclusion diet. It's designed to do many thiings but it totally eliminates foods that could be problematical for 30 days. This allows your body to heal and reset. After 30 days, you can reintroduce them and see how your body reacts to them. If you're having noncompliant foods even in really small bite sized portions throughout the 30 days, you're not following an exclusion diet. You're denying your body the chance to heal from anything that is affecting it.

If a food is problematic for you, and most of us don't know which those are until we try something like this, then even a small amount can keep the problem going. We want you to get the best possible results from a W30 not put in the effort for nothing. As Nico says, you're worth it.

when I was doing my whole100 I learned to assume the food I made my kids was fine. it was the strangest feeling the first time I made them white sauce for their pasta and had no idea how it tasted. I didn't lick the spoon or knife when I made their sandwiches. all of it was so bizarre.

if you are making lots of food for others you either have to trust your gut, get someone else to taste it, or have someone else make it! an accidental lick here or there might not constitute a slip to you, but licks here and there every day add up.

I totally understand! I often cook non-whole30 food for others. I usually call someone in for the tasting part. Last year after I started the 30 day paleo challenge I had to cook macaroni salad for a quinceanera of about 150 people. I made the mistake of tasting a piece of the macaroni. It made me so sick, and pretty much ruined the quinceanera for me. At that point I decided never again will I taste anything with gluten in it. It just isn't worth it.

Archived