Bread

monkey

So, I basically eat "whole30" everyday and I love it. My kids want to be healthy too, but choices seem so limited for them. They're always hungry and wanting to snack. They'll only eat so much fruit and veggies. I'm going to invest in a dehydrator as soon as I can, but in the mean time, what to do??

One of the biggies for them is bread. Is there a bread that is "safe" for them to eat? I bought Ezekiel bread and they don't mind it. (honestly I don't even know if that is a wise choice) They are really balking at no bun on their hamburger. Is there an alternative out there that I don't know about? Coconut wraps are way out of my budget.

Now that I read all the ingredients, it seems impossible to eat any other way than Whole30. I don't have peace of mind putting crappy food into my kids anymore....now that I know the truth about such things.

Any help is surely appreciated!

Ezekiel bread is certainly "less bad" than regular bread, but it's still made from grains (sprouted, but still grains). You can wrap the burgers in lettuce leaves, or nori (the seaweed for sushi), or if you must, you can look into gluten free breads.

We don't want to have kids getting neurotic about food, so maybe the gluten free breads will work the best for your family, but personally I would just make 'em eat naked burgers at home, and let them make their own choices out in the rest of the world.

• 1 month later...

this response is a little late so I'm not sure if you're still having the same problem with your kids being hungry all the time, BUT, I have the same issue with my daughter and what I have learned is that because fruits and veggies aren't very satiating she needs to eat fat with them too. So I tell her if she wants a snack, she can certainly have some fruit but she needs to have something else as well like a handful of nuts, some avocado, a hard boiled egg or even a slice of deli turkey. This has definitely cut down on how much snacking she does.

A couple other ideas for kids' snacks - pumpkin seeds (I got some yummy chili-lime flavored ones at Whole Foods which are W30 friendly), or SeaSnax (they satisfy my urge for something salty/snacky), or LaraBars. And maybe make up some single-serve bottles of water or herbal iced tea to keep in the fridge, in case they might be only thirsty, not hungry.

Archived