My first whole30...finally!

ashleycttu04

My name is Ashley-I'm 31, turning 32 in exactly 1 week! The thought of no cake on my birthday, was intimidating, but I thought-I cannot wait one more day for this change! So here I am!

I am a RN for 7 years now, worked in critical care areas & now in administration. I am currently pursuing my Masters degree as well. I'm pretty average body size & weight, active for the most part-but I often just don't feel GOOD! I have had all the gut issues discussed in the book for 10+ years now & it has not been fun to say the least! I've been to the doc, thought maybe I had celiacs, but tested negative-

I've been married to my best friend for just over a year now & we are trying for babies! After several months of being off birth control & my period still not being regular-in addition to all the other issues, I began reading the ISWF book a month or 2 ago! Being from a healthcare background I know it is so true! Years of abusing my body with bad food-enough is enough!

Today is my first official day, although I was so gung-ho I started with dinner last night! I would say that about 50-60% of the time I cook good meals for myself & my hubs, it's the restaurants & the occasional beer I will miss during these 30 days- & cheese! I'm not much of a sweets eater, so I don't think I will struggle with that much-wouldn't say I don't eat sweets AT ALL, but definitely don't eat them daily! My birthday will be hard tho! ;) I'm looking forward to positive changes for the long term!

Anyone else starting today or yesterday??

Originally I was going to document each meal I ate along this journey on my whole 30 log...um. That did not happen. BUT I can say have have succeeded at one whole week on the whole 30! It was rough but I stayed honest with myself & my reasonings behind it & IT WORKED! I successfully survived saying no to birthday cake on Friday at work, birthday for me (my birthday is actually tomorrow, but you know work folks are), I survived a beautiful Sunday funday bicycle ride with my hubs in which I would normally have a beer or 3 wherever we ended up-said no! & now I've made it 7 whole days!

I discovered coconut oil & LOVE it! As far as cooking goes, it's been difficult to eat breakfast every morning, but I've done it & feel better already! I've also noticed some small changes in belly troubles, which is so reassuring after all these years of trouble shooting!!!

Here's to 3 more weeks-possibly a lifetime!! YAY!

So I have survived 8 days now. Today being my 32nd birthday as well! :) feels good. Altho this morning was not so good and I experienced some tummy issues prior to going to work. ugh. thought this was potentially over? Needless, I tried re-hashing what I ate yesterday & anything that could have possibly caused this this morn, but couldn't really come up with anything... I ate good/clean yesterday. Idk.

Other than that & surviving my 32nd without alcohol -sounds weird, but I think this is the 1st birthday in a long time that was not celebrated with a drink!? anyhow-lots of folks have been asking about "this diet" i'm on. Some are welcoming of it & want to learn more & others just think it's crazy! Being a nurse, I already do alot of education...but it's funny how much I've been talking about this just in the last week or so. Here's to 22 more days! :)

I just finished day10 successfully! It's getting easier & easier-I'm starting to not even crave the processed food anymore...tbh I didn't really crave from the beginning because I wanted this so bad-I more or less thought about the other food, not craved-but now I don't even do that!

Tonite I through some stuff together for dinner & it was by far my best meal since starting this journey!! Ground turkey browned, added chopped fresh tomatoes, chopped green chilis & chopped zucchini with salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic-cooked all together & eaten in a lettuce leaf as a wrap-so delicious! I can't believe it alarmist been 2 weeks already!

• 3 weeks later...

Well. I fell off the wagon on day 13. It all started when I ordered fish tacos at a restaurant & asked if the fish was grilled or fried & the waitress told me they were grilled (plans were to eat the fish only) but... they came out fried... I was so frustrated & already on edge from struggling that morning...

As upset as I was, I still made it 13 days. I WILL be doing the whole30 again as I felt so wonderful despite everyone's questions. In the meantime I have continued to eat clean & avoid dairy, grains & added sugar. I read food labels daily & avoid those that I have no what it is.

I agree with Physibeth: Just keep going! Someone else's mistake is not your fault, even if you dove head first into the chips after the fish taco problem....

For me, it's really important to learn that one food mistake doesn't mean I have to make two, let alone three or ten or one hundred and twelve. I haven't internalized this fully yet, but at least I now know that I need to.

True true-& just FYI someday I will complete the WHOLE whole30 days-this week would have been my completion week, minus that one Saturday. I have started reintroducing dairy this week & need to read that part of the book for details...but needless to say I will. Implore the whole whole 30 someday

Archived