Fresh herbs?

• Moderators

You can. And most of the time you want to use less dried herbs than fresh in recipes because the dried stuff is more concentrated. Dried gives you somewhat different taste, but you can still get a nice effect. I frequently use dried herbs because I hate having left over fresh stuff that I might not use before it goes bad.

Hmm..a bunch of organic, fresh parsely just cost me 99 cents. It will get cheaper with the weather. Where are you located?

I have never seen a recipe call for 2 cups of parsley. It's a very grassey herb. Usually 1/4 cup covers it any recipe I have seen. What are you making? Dried parsely has zero flavor.

Cross post with Tom. Maybe I didn't understand..2 cups all together of different herbs? Still seems like a lot but Tom is right. You need way less (usually .25) amount of dried herbs to fresh but dried parsley has no flavor.

I have a lot of dried herbs, and they work well enough, but sometimes fresh herbs add something extra. I find especially with basil.

That being said I have seen fresh herb plants pretty much year round in grocery stores and even in Walmart in the grocery section. Around here they are maybe $3-$4 for a smallish plant, and then you don't have to worry about wasting any, just pick what you need. Obviously not everyone wants to bother tending to plants, but it is an option.

Archived