Just roasted three monster sized eggplants - now what?

AmyS

A mom at my kiddoes' dance studio is handing out eggplants with a desperation one usually sees in zucchini gardeners. These things are HUGE and gorgeous and I took three (gulp!). I roasted them, wrapped in foil. What's good to do with them?

I just tried Eggplant Striata from Well Fed...loved it! My first time cooking eggplant, so that's all I've got!

Lots and lots of Baba ghanoush?

Thank you both, I will look at the recipes for both of those!

Now roast a bell pepper. Pulse eggplant (peel it) with pepper. Puree tomato, add to the eggplant/pepper mush, shallot, garlic, salt, pepper, basil, olive oil. Favorite thing since childhood!

Or do it French way. Olive oil, onion, lemon and mint. Smth like this http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/07/eggplant-caviar-spread-caviar-daubergine-dip/

Now roast a bell pepper. Pulse eggplant (peel it) with pepper. Puree tomato, add to the eggplant/pepper mush, shallot, garlic, salt, pepper, basil, olive oil. Favorite thing since childhood!

Or do it French way. Olive oil, onion, lemon and mint. Smth like this http://www.davidlebo...daubergine-dip/

OMG. That all sounds so good. I'll definitely be making baba ganoush (I really miss hummus but not the, err, end results if you know what I mean). But I need to buy more tahini; in the mean time, I have the ingredients for your favorite-since-childhood dip/sauce/whatever. I may be eating it directly out of the food processor bowl. Don't tell.

There is a Persian stew made with eggplant and beef chunks. The basic ingredients are onion, garlic, tumeric, salt, pepper, beef, eggplant, dried limes, tomatoes, and tomato sauce.

There is a version made with yellow split peas (not sure if that is compliant?)

There is a Persian stew made with eggplant and beef chunks. The basic ingredients are onion, garlic, tumeric, salt, pepper, beef, eggplant, dried limes, tomatoes, and tomato sauce.

There is a version made with yellow split peas (not sure if that is compliant?)

Yellow split peas are not compliant. But where do you find dried limes? That stew sounds yum.

Amy, yes, licking fingers and the blender jar clean is a must! Eat my share, I am off nightshades for a while :))

Upd. Found my note for ratios. 3 eggplants - 3 peppers - 1 big tomato (I am sure diced from can work too) - 1/2 onion - 2 cloves garlic - 5 tbs olive oil. I don't use that much of oil usually. It will be hard, but it's best to if it sits in a fridge couple hours. Report back!

Amy, yes, licking fingers and the blender jar clean is a must! Eat my share, I am off nightshades for a while :))

Upd. Found my note for ratios. 3 eggplants - 3 peppers - 1 big tomato (I am sure diced from can work too) - 1/2 onion - 2 cloves garlic - 5 tbs olive oil. I don't use that much of oil usually. It will be hard, but it's best to if it sits in a fridge couple hours. Report back!

Thanks for the ratios - I will use them for my next batch. Oh. my. gosh. That was GOOD. Turns out, I didn't have basil, so I sprinkled some cumin. Also, I forgot the tomatoes. But I just about ate my whole batch. Even dipped roast beef into it. And yeah, it didn't make it a couple of hours in the fridge! Haha

I have two more eggplants to deal with. I'm delighted to discover that I can treat them kind of like I treated beans for dip before. I always loved those flavors, but couldn't really tolerate the results. Eeps! Now I can eat those flavors and feel healthy. Though I suppose consuming all of it at once would be unadvisable. Must. restrain. self. (And THANK YOU!)

Yellow split peas are not compliant. But where do you find dried limes? That stew sounds yum.

I buy them at the international food store. They are a Persian staple, but I imagine you could sub lime juice. The stew is called khoresh bademjan.

Archived