Dreading reintro (ahead of schedule) and return of hot-mess-ness

Bethann67

The greatest improvement I've noticed the last few weeks is that I am not a "hot mess"

( mercurial ... and lacking the ability to shut the heck up (no filter), inattentive, prickly (sensitive) ,high strung with "occasional"flakiness/ forgetfulness to make things interesting (f*ing adrenaline). i know milk hurts my tummy, and during the soy bean as snack craze I was a weepy wreck so milk products and soy will forever be on my

"I know better" list ( which i think may be similar to the

FU LIST)but what is the most likely culprit for moodiness ,ADHD symptoms and hot-mess-ness? Is the resumption of "craziness" immediate (like a rxn to dairy... Or delayed? )

I am dreading reintro 😞

Not clear on the timeline. Are you saying you reintroduced soy and dairy before you finished your Whole30? Or are you dreading reintro now that you've finished your Whole30, because of your prior experience eating soy and dairy?

I'm on day 21... So reintro after may 1st?

Milk products have caused tummy trouble for years ( as a teenager I was on tetracycline ( no dairy allowed) for 2 years to treat acne, and when treatment was "complete".. I could no longer tolerate milk products

Soy isn't an "official" intolerance , but if I was eating soy and someone was mean. There were tears ( weird?) VERY/too sensitive!

So soy and dairy will not be part of my reintro...

I procrastinate in everything EXCEPT worrying... And do not want to have inconclusive results about what may be causing the hot-mess-ness

( blame sugar when wheat is to blame? Or vice versa )

If you know dairy and soy are problems, you probably don't need to reintroduce them (unless someone moe expert thinks so, but I think I remember this coming up previously). If you follow the reintroduction protocol (add in one thing for a few days, take it out for a couple days, add in the next thing), you should have a pretty clear notion of what is causing problems. So, I wouldn't worry more than you have to. It's possible to identify problems without getting super messed up in the process.

Definitely separate wheat and sugar when you do your reintros. Sugar makes me an emotional wreck, so that would be my vote for the hot-mess-maker. Wheat, apparently, turns me into a food vacuum and I very nearly avoided visiting every fast food place within a 5 mile radius this past 3 days. As it is, I've been eating huge/many snacks and tons of fruit, which is not normal for me at all. That humongous biscuit was heaven on earth, but surely not worth what I've gone through this weekend. That being said, my birthday is in one month and I'm sure I will have forgotten this weekend by then!

Hot-mess-ness. I like it. Don't add anything back that you know causes issues. I would say sugar is probably a major culprit for your hot-mess-ness, from my own experiences... That said don't eat tons of sugar to "find out," I would just limit it indefinitely. There is no nutritional benefit to it, so adding it back in measurable amounts is dumb. Reintro what you might want to eat regularly, everything should just not be considered in the mix, but if it happens on your plate what-eves.

Guh. Sugar! the hardest thing to avoid!!! ( I spent 15 minutes yesterday reading tomato cans in search of tomatoes sans sugar!)

I haven't had cravings for sugar the last 21 days, so maybe my body, or subconscious decided no sugar is better than being a hot mess. (less fun then it sounds.) And I should listen ...

When you mentioned "weepiness" and tears and being "very/too sensitive" it immediately conjured up forum discussions about serotonin levels. I've also heard there's a connection between soy and serotonin, especially in women. Along those lines...have you ever considered amino acid therapy? Sometimes the mood-food connection is about neurotransmitter deficiencies. Julia Ross' books "The Mood Cure" and "The Diet Cure" are good primers on the subject.

I'd agree with all the great reintro advice above...take it slow and keep it simple with time between food categories, and beware the sugar beast. Sounds like soy and dairy are not worth the likely "hot-mess-ness" though.

When you mentioned "weepiness" and tears and being "very/too sensitive" it immediately conjured up forum discussions about serotonin levels. I've also heard there's a connection between soy and serotonin, especially in women. Along those lines...have you ever considered amino acid therapy? Sometimes the mood-food connection is about neurotransmitter deficiencies. Julia Ross' books "The Mood Cure" and "The Diet Cure" are good primers on the subject.

I'd agree with all the great reintro advice above...take it slow and keep it simple with time between food categories, and beware the sugar beast. Sounds like soy and dairy are not worth the likely "hot-mess-ness" though.

That's interesting, jpketz! And I totally agree with the tune that's being sung here--don't see the worth in keeping things that illicit negative responses (mentally and/or physically) into your life!

• 2 months later...

Guh. Sugar! the hardest thing to avoid!!! ( I spent 15 minutes yesterday reading tomato cans in search of tomatoes sans sugar!)

I haven't had cravings for sugar the last 21 days, so maybe my body, or subconscious decided no sugar is better than being a hot mess. (less fun then it sounds.) And I should listen ...

Tomatoes: Pomi in a box. They taste awesome and their only ingredient is tomatoes.

Archived