Wedding Planning

Hey friends, I am about a week or so out from my fifth Whole30.....but I am totally ashamed to say that I had never done the reintroduction phase after any of my previous whole30's. This time I have been doing the reintroduction and I am learning SO MUCH! Anywho, I am getting married in September so I have been debating doing some off-plan food tasting. For example, I am having a cookie bar at my wedding instead of a cake. I would like to have the bakery make me up some samples to try before the wedding. However, I have a SUGAR DRAGON that is a mofo. What do you think I should do? Eat small pieces of the cookies to make sure they are legit, and then back to the safety of my compliant eating? Thanks!

Check for recommendations about the quality of the bakery and hope for the best? Personally I think it's really hard to mess up a cookie! I'm not sure I would need to taste test them before hand to be sure.

If you really feel the need to taste them then maybe be sure to eat a good meal before and brush your teeth right after as a cut off signal to your brain and know you might have some strong cravings for a day or so.

Its your own wedding. I think that it's important to make sure that you're getting exactly what YOU want for your wedding dessert, and you shouldn't have to feel guilty and stressed about it. If you were providing a dessert for your guests that you didn't intend to partake in, then it would make sense for someone else to taste test it, but if it's something you're planning on enjoying as a wedding tradition, then it shouldn't be a source of anxiety. Wedding planning is hard enough.

You know you have a sugar dragon sleeping and waiting for you to bait it. Just the fact that you've acknowledged it means you can prepare for it. I find that they key for me enjoying an occasional treat is having absolutely NO SWEETS at home to make it easier to wait out the subsequent cravings for more sugar. Make sure you don't have any sugary foods at home, go and taste your treats, enjoy them, and rest assured that you'll be able to go home and be safe from anything else calling your name.

I tasted the cupcakes for my wedding while trying to eat Paleo (cupcakes were far from compliant to any sort of diet).

I think if you take a slice of the cookie (as if it was a cake or pizza) then you could check the whole cookie without offroading too much. Then your anxiety will be released and you will not be far off. Just make sure you have all of your meals for the next few days already planned and ready!

Since you're not currently Whole30ing, I would (personally) taste the cookies. However, I would eat all-compliant the rest of the day, and I would follow up with a few compliant days, just to make sure I didn't veer too far off course. As Tom summarized in a thread I posted about successfully offroading a few days ago: Offroad for a reason, then go right back on plan. Tasting desserts for your wedding is a concrete reason, and it is a contained event.

Archived