How to make sweet potato fries crispy

AToE and I are somewhat well versed in SP fries... :ph34r: preheat oven to 425, toss fries in oil of choice (we use EVOO most of the time, but coconut oil and ghee both), and place on baking sheet(s) making sure that your fries don't touch each other. They need space. Don't know why. Perhaps they're shy. Season to taste, back 15 minutes, flip, bake another 15 minutes, try to let cool before you devour (this is by far the hardest part).

• Moderators

Different ovens can be at different temperatures at the same settings, so 425 on one oven may not be 425 on another. However, you can leave things in longer. If you want crispier, maybe leave them in another 5 or 10 minutes.

I do mine sliced into discs for more surface area touching the pan, then exactly what Melliebu said, with the only difference being that I use a cast iron griddle pan.

Now to really make dies crispy the best method is a double frying in tallow- you would have to consult the Internet to find exact instructions (I believe the term is Belgian fries) but essentially it involves deep frying all at one temp, then raising the temp and frying again. Soft on the inside, crispy skins. I've done it a few times right after I rendered a bunch of tallow and I just kept a pot of it to make fries for several nights in a row, then dumped the whole thing when it got too "used grease" tasting. What a joyous time for my children when it was French Fry Week.

I've had more success when I cut the sweet potatoes up ahead of time & then leave them in the fridge in a container for a couple of days. This seems to dry them out & make them crispy. I think the size of the pieces makes a difference, too. The smaller/thinner the pieces, the crispier they get.

Alright, y'all, back up and let the expert through.

STEP 1

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and rub with compliant oil.

STEP 2

Put cut sweet potatoes in a microwave-safe container, cover, and microwave 2 minutes (for 3 big potatoes). Stir gently, cover, and microwave 1 to 2 minutes more until pieces are semi cooked and kind of bendy. Let rest 5 minutes covered; pour onto a platter.

STEP 3

In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until they're frothy, add seasoning, and whisk to blend. Toss the sweet potato pieces in the seasoned egg whites, in batches if necessary, letting the excess liquid drip off of them and back into the bowl. Place in a single layer on the baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes, then flip the fries over. Rotate baking sheet from front to back. Bake until dark golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.

Archived