Mid-Run fuel?

emsers

I feel certain there is already posts on this, but I couldn't find one so feel free to send me to another discussion if it is easier.

The other day I went to my CrossFit class - I went at 6:30 am which is much earlier than my usual class so I didn't end up eating anything before hand. After class I met up with a friend and we went on a spontaneous run that ended up being 13 miles!

So, the good news is that I managed to make it through CF and 13 mile run with no fuel? I guess I'm in full on fat burning mode. (I'm almost done with my Whole100.)

This time was an accident since it was unplanned, but I am actually training for two half marathons and I'm not sure what to do about fuel. This run was a slow pace and I'd like to run the real races faster (though I'm not a fast runner in general.) In the past I've used gus or sport beans or something which obviously is out for the Whole30 and something I'd now like to avoid in general. Maybe I don't need anything? (Except next time I will eat before starting.)

Suggestions?

I think if you fuel properly and monitor your HR/Pace properly you probably won't need it. I made it through a half marathon this weekend without fueling. I did hit a wall but it is because I went out to fast for the race conditions. I do like to carry coconut water (usually cut with water) for electrolytes. Nuts and dried fruit would be another option to try.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read that chia gel is a good fueling option midrun. I found this page helpful:

http://www.ultra-running-insights.com/chia-seeds.html

I haven't had a chance to use it midrun yet because I only just recently discovered it and my runs aren't up to that length yet since having my baby. You could soak the chia seeds in coconut water or milk. I made a chia pudding with almond milk (before learning that store-bought has bad stuff in it), added cocoa powder, and a bit of honey or agave (ok the honey/agave isn't W30 compliant, but it seems it would be ok after W30 from what paleo recipes I've read)... It tastes just like chocolate pudding and has a consistency close to tapioca pudding. But I would imagine coconut water/milk would also work instead of almond milk (or even homemade almond milk would work!).

If you use it midrun, let me know how it works for you... I'm looking to train for a full marathon in the fall.

Any fruits where the sugars break down easily without upsetting your stomach are good options for a quick boost of energy. I've ran in a couple half marathons where they hand out orange slices or strawberries along the course.

Dried fruit or Lara Bars. I've also heard of people using baby food for fueling. You can often find the stuff in those squeeze packets at supermarkets/trader joes. I haven't tried either of those myself but something I definitely will try once I get back to my long runs.

Archived