Rediscovering my cookbooks!

CraftyCarnivore

So I've been poring over my cookbooks and have found that quite a few of them contain many compliant recipes, or recipes that would be compliant with very few modifications. The one I was really excited about was Rick Bayless's Mexico: One Plate at a Time. Most of his recipes are not "con queso" to begin with so they are pretty compliant.

I have been looking through my cookbooks and recipe magazines too and have found some recipes that could easily be compliant. This has also resulted in me finally getting rid of the bazillion Cooking Light and other recipe magazines (bit of a recipe addiction! :D ) once I tear out the few recipes that don't have pasta, flour, sugar, etc.

Cooking is so much more fun again!!

Ooh. I love Rick Bayless. One day I WILL go to Chicago just to eat his food. That book has been in my Amazon "save for later" pile forever but I do hunt down his recipes online. He did a duck leg confit thing on his show that I've wanted to make forever. And I had already resolved to find good duck legs this weekend.

I've been discovering my cookbooks as well. Last night I was looking through A Spoonful of Ginger, Chinese/Asian recipes with a focus on "food as medicine." Many call for rice wine but I'm getting some good ideas.

Beets, I've been to Frontera and Topolobampo. Both are excellent reasons to come to Chicago for sure!! :)

Barefoot Contessa also has some great W30 recipes, believe it or not. You have to ignore the yummy so-not-W30 recipes to get to them, but I make her brussels sprouts recipe all the time, and she has some wonderful soups and meat recipes as well. (She's also my favorite FN celebrity.)

Surprisingly nothing in the Ellie Krieger's books comes close to compliant.

Two of Barefoot C/Ina Garten recipes are my favorites, neither of which are compliant: Beatty's Chocolate Cake (HG choc cake) and her weeknight bolognese. If I can tolerate cream at some point I'll make that again because it's quick, easy, very yummy, my kids love it. (Or can I use coconut milk?)

I am getting a lot of ideas from Food 52. It's a project of Amanda Hesser's, former NYT food columnist. Really gorgeous photography and lots of great salad and other ideas. In addition to the administrator's recipes, it's also a compendium of lots of people's recipes but way more pleasant to look at than other recipe aggregators. I love how easy it is to "save" recipes, even on my phone, where I do most of my internetting. I made a Paleo/Paleo-fiable category.

I've been going through David Leibowitz's blog looking for anything I can make (love his blog). And Ive been eyeing this Fat cookbook that apparently sings the praises of lard and other fats. Yum! http://www.eatmedail...ookbook-review/

Oh her non-compliant recipes are ridiculously amazing. But it was nice to page through and see the options that were compliant. She also has some great tips, in one of her more recent books, on making things easy in the kitchen.

And all that "good olive oil" has made her hair shiny and her complexion amazing, so maybe she can be a W30 spokeswoman at some point. :)

Archived