Fat phobia!

Mrsh721

Today was my first day of Whole30. I am so excited to start this journey. I know that each meal must consist of protein, vegetables and fat. This may shock some of you but I am worried about the fat. Since I have been told all my life to avoid it and we know that doesn't work. Does my fat just count as the oil I am cooking with or do I have to add an additional fat (avocado) to my meals? I want to make sure I am getting enough good fats in each meal. I never thought I would be saying that! I would love to know what everyone else is eating. Please share your meal ideas with me.

I usually count my "fat" component as the oil/tallow that I cook with, except in salads whereby I add avocado, or olives

To give you an idea, my meal plan today is:

Meal 1: 7 mushrooms sauteed in olive oil, with 2 large handfuls of baby spinach, 2 chicken apple sausages & 2 eggs cooked intop - did hubby & I

Meal 2: greek salad with romaine lettuce, cucumber, cherry toms, red onion, olives, 1 artichoke heart (in olive oil) & a handful of leftover oven roasted chicken breast.

Meal 3: roasted chicken with roasted beets, sweet potato & parsnip, steamed Brussels sprouts. - in this instance all my roasted veg have had some form of oil put on them before roasting, but I may still add some homemade mayo!

Hope that helps & good luck

• Moderators

The cooking oil is enough for some meals, but occasionally you need more fat than that... a handful of olives, half an avocado, etc. The meal template gives you some idea of portion sizes: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

When you are having a fatty cut of meat, you don't need to worry about adding more fat, but if you are eating something lean like chicken breast, you need some form of fat to go with it.

Unless you are drinking all the leftover fat in the pan, you need more than just your cooking fat. Just follow the template, don't weigh, just eat. I frequently far exceed the 'one thumb' rule. I may cook my protein in ghee, AND have a salad with avocado and olive oil dressing. I don't worry about it. I am feeling better than ever, I don't get hungry between meal, and I have steadily lost weight on this way of eating. It's tough destroying old stereotypes, but well worth it.

ETA: Ooops! Don't want to disagree with Tom. I just find that 9/10s of the cooking fat is still in the pan when I'm done.

I'm with MaryAnn. I'm astonished at the amount of fat I need to eat in order to feel good (I've been at this about six months now). And I have a waist line for the first time in a decade - I thought the twin pregnancy had destroyed it permanently. Nope! Eat Whole30 with plenty of fat and bam, the body contours itself.

I also find I need more fat than my cooking oil most of the time -- not always. For example, I just had a dinner with some roasted sweet potatoes that I'd roasted in a heavy dose of coconut oil, so I stuck with that as my main fat, particularly as I was eating them alongside some chopped steaks that had a decent amount of fat. Personally, I err on the side of adding fat rather than not adding it, because I find eating too little fat is the thing most likely to mess up how I feel in the short-run -- I get hungry, I feel unsatisfied, and it's just all around bad.

^^

Yes. If in short myself on fat, that's when I feel snacky and tired and out of whack. Err on the side of more fat and you will be ok. In the beginning, especially, when you are used to snacking and fueling yourself with sugar fat is your best ally. It'll help kill cravings for sweets and processed carbs.

Once you can start listening to your body's cues you can adjust the fat to your needs but definitely don't fear it! I've been eating a ton and my pants are bagging off me in all directions.

You can always look at the logs for meal ideas.

What I found during my whole30 was, if I ate a meal that didn't have much fat, I was STARVED a few hours later! I, too, have been doing the low-fat thing for 20+ years, so using so much fat while cooking felt weird. But I embraced the plan, cooked in fat and added fat to meals, and felt great. Lost 13 lbs during the 30 days without feeling like I was "dieting" I'm now reintroducing very, very slowly. I want to know exactly what makes me feel less than great!

Archived