Start May 1st -

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am starting today. This will be my second. My first whole ended up as a whole50. I had an accident felt sorry for myself. Fell into the sugar dragons arms for a full month. .... it was BAD. oh, so bad. My attempts to start again were just flimsy excuses to have that one last big piece of chocolate (every day).

So here I am. Looking forward to feeling as good as I did the first go around. It really is worth the pain of the first couple of weeks.

Good luck everyone!

Michele

I also noticed on my first Whole30 that my workouts were a lot better, I got so much stronger in a short amount of time it was crazy. So I also started a 21 day squat challenge today, and I'm looking forward to gaining some strength!!

Good luck everyone!!

Hi! what is your squat challenge?

Hi! what is your squat challenge?

Hi michelej - It's something my box is doing, here are the details.

Basically, this is what each day might look like:

1. Squat to a max.

2. Drop about 20 to 30% off the bar and squat up to a heavy three ("heavy three" means the heaviest weight you can do without missing) - go up by no more than 5 to 10 lb. at a time.

3. Drop about 20 to 30% off of that and do two sets of five with the best form you can muster, trying to come up as fast out of the hole as you possibly can.

An example of how this might work for someone:

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday do it for back squats. Tuesday/Thursday do it for front squats. On weekends and mornings front squat (or back squat) to a max, then if you feel like it, do some back-off sets. The back-off sets aren't done very hard as we were getting in plenty of volume (volume = sets x reps) in the weekly sessions as well as the regular workout.

Here is the article that inspired this: http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/21-day-squat-challenge

Ok, so not such a great day, yesterday... travelling cross-country didn't help. I tried to find Whole30 approved food the airport, and while I did find some things- like an undressed salad, there weren't many (any) protein choices. So I basically fasted all day and had an un-approved dinner (included brown rice) when I got home- late. It was warm and ready (yay, hubbie!) and the last thing I wanted to do was to go grocery shopping and cook... SO I am starting over. I thought today (May 2) would be day 1, but when I started over, I got the Whole30 Daily issue "Day 0" emailed to me again today, so I suppose I'll start tomorrow (May 3). But I'm hoping to still "keep current" with all you May 1st starters, as I'll only be a couple days behind...

I ended my 1st 30 on Tuesday and started round 2 yesterday. I feel amazingly better after the first 30 than I though possible. This 30 I plan to add exercise (something that I have not done for years), beginning with walking.

Hi everyone! I started my 1st Whole30 on May 1st. Two good days done. I've done Primal since January 1st, but not Paleo, so this is new for me. I'm excluding nightshades as well as beef, eggs and oranges because of food intolerances. It feels a little overwhelming! I'm glad so many of us are starting at the same time.

Round 3 for me as well! I definitely have off roaded and not stayed 100% complainant-. It's the snacking the kills me. Not a huge adjustment, but looking to lose a few pounds and get that healthy relationship w food back. Also want to smash the sugar demon!

Good day everyone,

it's my 4th Whole30 day today, and feeling great! Friday is fasting day for me - had four medium boiled eggs with a tea-spoon of coconut oil, and two cups of black coffee.

Best greetings!

I also started May 1st - so far so good, I am having some GI issues tho, lots of stomach cramping etc...I am down afew pounds even tho I know I should not weigh but wonder if it is maybe just water weight? I am having trouble sticking to just 3 meals and do find myself grabbing a handful of cashews or berries when I get the urge to snack, can't imagine that is too bad??

I also started May 1st - so far so good, I am having some GI issues tho, lots of stomach cramping etc...I am down afew pounds even tho I know I should not weigh but wonder if it is maybe just water weight? I am having trouble sticking to just 3 meals and do find myself grabbing a handful of cashews or berries when I get the urge to snack, can't imagine that is too bad??

I had low blood sugar on Sunday myself, as did my girlfriend and both had to sit down because we felt dizzy. Our own damned fault though, waited too long between meals.

As for snacking the plan does suggest to limit it as much as possible. The first couple days I had issues with making sure I had enough veggies and fat to fill me up at dinner, and I reached for a handful of almonds once or twice, but I have been pretty good other than that. If you need it, I guess there are worse things to do, but if you are eating because you are bored or out of habit, the whole30 does specifically discourage mindless eating.

Also if you are working out, keep in mind you get an extra post-workout meal/snack.

Hello Everyone, My other half and I started on the 29th of April so we are at day 9 now and so far so good, Sugar Demons have been my down fall for a long time but I am finding that after reading the Book "It Starts with Food" and thinking of this as a way of life and not I diet that I am doing really well. Have had a few nights with nasty headaches but drank more water and then went to bed a little early has helped me. My other half is struggling with headaches more and not being able to sleep he was very co dependent on alcohol to help him relax and sleep but he quit cold turkey and it doing well with that, I think the headaches will stop soon. I have to admit that I really really am craving cheese but I am sticking to my guns its helpful that there is none in the house. I am enjoying trying new veggies since I had a limited amount that I "liked" Good Luck to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Such fun to connect with others who started on May 1st.

This is my third Whole30 and each of them has been different.

Here's something I wrote just yesterday -

Hallelujah - week 3 of my current Whole30.

This is my favourite time in a Whole30. It feels like my mind and body are batting for the same team; a real partnership. That's a welcome change after a lifetime of binge-eating problems and sugar addiction.

You can see the rest here - https://www.facebook...376542799130546

One change I've noticed this time is that my fingernail are much smoother with almost no ridges. They've never been this good before.

I also blogged about a day's food for me.

http://recipe-maniac...eat-in-day.html

Day 23 for all of us May 1st starters. How many of us have continued until now? Have there been challenges?

I am doing a Whole30 AIP so also without Nightshades. Nuts went after a few days, coconut went on Day 16, coffee and ghee went on day 15. coffee was a bear. I was drinking 8 oz home brewed organic coffee every morning. I wanted to see how I would feel without it. AWFUL! Who knew the effect of 1 cup at 5:30 AM.? I went into a mini slump. By days 18 & 19 I didn't want to function. Thankfully it was the weekend. A long walk in the morning and I was done with activity for the day. Day 20 started to get better. Day 21 more energy. Day 22 throwing up most of the afternoon. My body appears to be doing a lot of internal healing and I'm being patient with all these changes.

I'm sensitive to eggs. Abstaining from hem this month, I notice that the little patch of scaly skin by my nose is smooth now. That took 21 days to show a change. Still have ridges on my fingernails. Still have fluff around the middle. So I think my Whole30 is turning into WholeWhatever.

How are you all doing?

I haven't posted in this thread before. I was a lurker for the first few days. But I'm here and I'm avoiding nightshades as well. Actually, I haven't been able to eat them and most grains for a couple of years. My big change is no dairy.

I haven't noticed any change in energy, sleep, etc, which are actually affected by chronic illness, so I wasn't expecting much there. My progress is in the fact that I have gone 6 days without Nexium and am showing no signs of needing it! *happy dance*

I am fairly certain that this will be the first of several W30s for me, but my wish for this one is to at least begin to heal my poor digestive system. So far, so good!

Glad to hear you're seeing progress in healing too, Calee! Even baby steps are still steps. *hugs*

I'm still on. Started at 30th of April. Also trying to avoid fruits and eggs since the day 10(that's ok). Probably eat too much, but feel really good. The loose of weight was not the first reason to start whole30. Good luck to all of You! :)

Wow, I admire those of you doing the auto-immune Whole30. That's a big change. Big thumbs up to you. :)

I've just realised that on the final day of my Whole30 I'll be flying internationally, from Auckland New Zealand over to Melbourne in Australia. We've opted for no airline meals so I'll be taking our own food onboard for the 4 hour flight. I'm thinking of having a normal big breakfast at 5am before we head for the airport.

I'll also take some hard-boiled eggs for the flight and maybe some leftover cold meats. Any other easy suggestions? I'll keep clear of nuts and fruit; just because they bring on cravings for me.

Then that night in Melbourne we're eating out here. The menu looks really promising! Yum!

http://www.littlehunter.com.au

A great way to finish my Whole30. I know I'm going to be lot stronger than if I'd not done it prior to going away for a few days.

Have a good weekend everyone. It's Friday midday already over here and the sun's shining. :)

Has anyone thought about how to tackle Day 31 on May 31st?

Are you going to reintroduce a food type? Or are you going to keep on going?

I'm starting to give it some though. :mellow:

At the moment I think to continue my Whole30 to WholeSome, as I do not miss any food refused. However, there is one sin worthy poppy-seed Paleo cake recipe, which I'm looking forward to test. So with some sweet exceptions I hope to exist (:)) longer in Whole30 traditions.

Has anyone thought about how to tackle Day 31 on May 31st?

Are you going to reintroduce a food type? Or are you going to keep on going?

I'm starting to give it some though. :mellow:

I've been thinking of this more as a WholeWhatever. I'm doing AIP in addition. The food that I will reintroduce is beef, which is compliant on both plans. Once I've tested that I will test egg yolks. I will continue to stay away from nightshades for awhile then later test peppers and tomatoes. I think I'm better off with dairy, sugar, for another 30 or 60. will have to think on nuts and coffee as occasional, nuts in a recipe not by hand to mouth etc. but I have a long time to consider.

I want to continue to reap the benefits of more healing to my guts.

Archived