Me and coffee are parting ways.

Pre whole30 my morning ritual consisted of driving through Starbucks for my coffee beverage of choice, a sugar free cinnamon dolce latte with heavy cream. Giving this up was hard initially but now I seem to be doing ok. In it's place I've been getting either an Americano or an Iced coffee adding to it my own coconut milk. Here is the funny thing. I used to drink coffee because I needed the energy and because I liked the taste. Now I have the energy without the coffee and the taste is ummmmm... manageable. LOL So I got to thinking about this and I feel like I'm now drinking this coffee (I don't even like) out of habit. Today is day one without coffee. I figure I'll phase in tea and see how it goes. Anyone else find that they don't need the coffee anymore?

I purposefully quit coffee as part of my W30. It was really hard emotionally. Sounds insane--but it's true. I was feeling positively grief-stricken in the days leading up to my start.

Starting my 2nd Whole30 on Monday and I'm thinking about doing the same.

Do you think subbing in green tea would be a good way to go or should stick to only herbal teas with no caffeine?

I can relate. I tried to quit coffee a week before I started the whole 30 and had a cup on my desk 4 hours later. LOL For whatever reason coffee doesn't seem to be needed as it was pre whole 30. How are you feeling without it?

Sorry! Half my response got erased somehow by my phone.

Anyway, it really sucked for me at first. I was drinking two cups of yerba mate a day but my headaches were so bad I could barely walk. Now I'm drinking two cups of green and some herbal tea.

This morning I realized at 11am that I hadn't had any caffeine and I felt great! Only took me 32 days. :) I was coming from 4-5 cups a day including usually a large latte. I couldn't even hold myself upright or read words before my first cup.

So--definitely an improvement! I also notice my anxiety is much improved.

I gave up coffee for my W100. I didn't like it with CM and drinking it black was not enjoyable (and yes, I tried it with very good coffee), so I broke up with coffee. Now I have an occasional BP decaf. I do drink tea that has caffein about twice a week but Kombucha is my new adult beverage.

I'm on day 5 of a whole 100 and I've counted coffee out as well. Day 2 & 3 were hellish and the headaches were brutal but yesterday and today? Nothing. Not even a hint of a headache. I miss it from my routine. I usually drop the kids at school then enjoy a big mug at home. Finding my way through establishing a new morning routine that doesn't include coffee.

I used to get those hellish headaches so I def know how you feel. Not sure why but I'm not craving it in the least bit. I decided this morning to grab some green tea in hopes of keeping the headaches at bay and so far seem to be doing great!! I have wanted to get off of coffee for a long time. Coffee and cheese are my drugs of choice. Sadly I have read lots of information about how both can be bad. Need to avoid them both.

I might be giving up coffee too. I don't seem to like to black, and I found the coconut milk didn't do much for me. I have given up caffeine before for a month, and I had no side effects at all. I'm fairly caffeine insensitive, and I've never really felt I "needed" my morning coffee. More just something I enjoyed. But without some milk & sweetener in it, I just can't do it. I don't really enjoy it anymore, even though I've been trying.

I had already switched from 3 coffee a day, to 1 black coffee and a couple cups of tea (some with caffeine, some without), but I might be giving up coffee for the rest of it. Then we will see in the reintroduction phase how I deal with dairy and if I want to go back to drinking it, but maybe without sweetener.

We enjoy our coffee and I used to go to Starbucks daily. During whole 30 we did not visit Starbucks. Saves a lot of money. What we did was buy ground starbucks coffee at store and made our own coconut lattes. Yummy. We buy canned coconut milk, and dilute a bit with plain coconut water. We froth that and put in our coffee. Frothing it with a espresso machine is way more delicious than just pouring coconut milk in coffee. The other day I wanted to try a Starbucks just to see if it had the same flavor I thought it might. NOPE!!!! Prefer the ones we make at home.

JUst an idea. Also, tea has been a great addition as well.

Archived