Rice bran oil?

countrygirl

• Moderators

You can serve them to your guests, but don't eat them yourself. And are you sure they do not include peanuts? Most mixed nuts do and peanuts are off plan because they are a legume.

• 3 months later...

I still remember how sad I was when I realized I had half a jar of really good kimchi in the fridge, pulled it out to review the label, and discovered that everything was compliant...except for the rice bran powder that was listed as the final ingredient. I was just crushed. It's been over a month since I finished my first Whole30, and I still haven't eaten the kimchi yet. That's how disappointed I was.

IIRC, all cabbagey kimchi has rice powder in it... I _think_ it has something to do with the fermentation, but it's a very common ingredient. Not much in there, maybe 1/4 of rice flour for a whole 1-2 head of cabbage batch, but still there.

• 1 month later...

I had recently bought a jar of massamum curry paste (my husband favorite) and avoided it during Whole 30 because I wasn't sure about the rice bran oil (the only ingredient that seems non-compliant). Once the whole 30 was over, I tried it even though I;'m still trying to follow the rules. But the question was still on the back of my mind, and that's why I decided to check here. Sad to know iot's not compliant. It will have to be on a off-plan day for me then... ;o)

For Kimchi, try Firefly Kimchi. There is no rice on it. Also no fish oil, because they try to make it vegan, but it's pretty good and Whole30 compliant. 

http://www.fireflykitchens.com/products/

Archived