percypat's 1st Whole 30

percypat

Julienne peeler is everything. I have no clue how I lived without it. Carrots and daikon for slaw too. Even cucumbers and radishes for salads. All the veggies for roasting are so much better when sliced with it. Carrots, jicama, parsnips and rutabagas. Mmmm! Have fun with it!

Well done with the kale chips and hubs. If you ever get him off the habit of reaching for a crunch stuff - you will have every right to demand a little monument in your honor :D

Kale is made for caldo verde and massaged salads. I am getting hungry. I should go.

Half way is where the energy dips, so you are going according to the plan. Tiger blood is soon to come back.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Percypat, how was Day 12 for you? I seem to have made a leap in my healing. Two nights in a row I didn't take ambien. The first night I didn't sleep. Last night I slept good. Today my energy felt good. Long walk this morning up in the woods. I felt like I walked taller, shoulders back. I don't know how the healing is supposed to feel but today was good. I'm even feeling appropriately tired out.

I hope you rounded a bend as well. Who knows, maybe I just didn't get the slump yet. :)

Hi calee! Glad you are seeing improvements, that is awesome! Day 12 was more of the same for me to be honest, but that's ok ... The dermatologist said it was ok to drop my dose of medication if I felt too bad so I guess it's to be expected! I would rather this than the eczema I was getting before! It was that bad!

And Nadia, it's good to know that I should be expected a dip in energy levels etc right about now, hopefully that means I'm not feeling well because of a combination of my medication and the diet, and that it means when the tiger blood comes I will feel a whole lot better! Looking forward to it :D

Hurrah! Finally perked up again today. Definitely not tiger blood but a huuuuge improvement.

Breakfast: 1 egg, red cabbage from last night, red capsicum sticks with mayo.

Lunch: Leftover pulled pork, bok choy and roast pumpkin.

Dinner: Turkey apricot meatballs (winged that one but they turned out pretty good!), green beans and more red cabbage, banana and dessicated coconut.

I got an email back from a frozen berry retailer I contacted over the weekend and it turns out they have an outlet in Perth where you can buy with no minimum purchase! (They're the kind that deliver cartons - I wasn't expecting to be able to buy so little). Frozen cranberries, raspberries and sour cherries ... Here I come :D

Feeling better again ... So glad to be out of that slump. I'm guessing it must have been the mid-way crash combined with adjusting to more meds - not getting so many tingles in my hands and feet and the yucky tummy.

Day 13

Breakfast: leftover turkey meatballs, red cabbage, beans, red capsicum with mayo.

Lunch: Pulled pork with red cabbage, capsicum with mayo.

Dinner: Pork steak with cooked apple, bok choy and beans.

Snack: almonds.

We are churning through the veggies like crazy and I pretty much cleaned out the vegetable draw in the fridge, using anything I could find. Will have to do a little top up shop tomorrow I think.

Nearly half way through! :)

It's so funny that our breakfast looks like dinner these days. I guess mine have since I went low carb several years ago but when I eat eggs it looks more like traditional breakfast.

I hit my big slump today. All my energy drained out of me today. Clueless why, other than part of the process.

You're close to halfway! Yay!

As a former toast enthusiasist (and scoffer extraordinaire of breakfast pastries while living in Lyon), I can't believe how well I've embraced dinner for breakfast. But it's a good change. I look forward to it and there's no croissant guilt afterwards!

Hope you perk up soon calee, if it's anything like what I just went through it will pass!

So today was Day 14, end of week 2 :D

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs, bananas with a sprinkle of coconut and carrots with mayo for dipping. (Was really scraping the bottom of the veggie drawer this morning! Needless to say, a foraging trip was done right after breakfast).

Lunch: more leftover pulled pork with choy sum, raspberries.

Dinner: squid rings dipped in coconut flour and fried in coconut oil, choy sum with lemon and black pepper.

Snack: tablespoon of almond butter - made a batch in the food processor tonight. It took FOREVER, the last batch I made took 10 minutes, this one took about half an hour. Maybe because the last time I made it, it was about 35 degrees (centigrade) here in Perth, now it's 11. Oh well, end result worth it though!

Bit distracted today as I'm bashing my research proposal into shape - meeting with my supervisor tomorrow morning. But not snacking my way through my reading/writing sessions which is awesome, if that is the only thing I take out of this Whole 30 then I'll have made progress. (Planning on taking a bit more though ;) )

Looking forward to getting past the halfway point tomorrow and celebrating with a good wiggle at my Zumba class!

(PS Calee - if you ever come down this way, you totally have to come along to my class! That would be awesome!)

Hey you, doing great. My biggest sin and challenge is that I MUST graze when I read. Urgggg. Can't fight it completely, but work in progress.

Please make cherry chicken from nomnom paleo, please. It's phenomenal :)

What's Choy Sum?

You are so much more creative in the kitchen than I am. I'm trying to keep it all very simple and today I wished I had been more creative in my lunch. I prowled the avenue of cafe's but there was nothing that I could eat. I think I felt sorry for myself. Your food always sounds so delish!

I would love to come to your class. I just signed up for a month of unlimited Bar Method classes. Combination ballet, yoga, isometrics etc. Should be interesting. You have such great energy. I bet you're a wonderful teacher.

Cherry chicken. The cherries are coming in here. I may actually have to cook!

Congrats on making it half way!

Thanks Nadia! I must confess I am making up for the snacking with tea and coconut milk which I probably shouldn't drink too much of ... You just need something, don't you? I have so much reading to do (PhD student) and the thought of not having that nice warm drink with me makes me want to cry ... And I'm rubbish at drinking it black. Reading and nibbling are just made to go together :/

All I can find for cherry chicken is this: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/28426424691/paleo-eats-7-30-12 but she doesn't actually give the recipe ... Is that the one you meant? I'm intrigued!

Calee, choy sum is a leafy Chinese vegetable, a bit like bok choy but more leaf and less stalk. The stalk is nice and crunchy though so I like to cook the leaves and keep the stalks for dipping. It's stronger tasting too. My mum's Chinese so I tend to lean towards Asian greens than things like spinach! It's funny that you think I sound creative, because I've read your log and thought "ooh, that sounds nice! Why don't I think of things like that?". Maybe we all need to go on Whole 30 exchanges and divvy up the cooking a bit. Then we can all be wonderfully exotic to each other :) Your new class sounds great! I should be doing something like that. I hope I'm a good teacher ... I do my best and we have fun anyway :)

A Paleo exchange. How cool would that be! I think that all of us May 1st starters should have a topic over in the post30 section so tht we can keep up with suggestions for navigating together. That said, I will most likely go longer or another round, maybe with a day off road in between but off road doesn't sound appealing to me.

Have a fun day!

Thank you Kevin! Have you decided to start a Whole 30?

Calee, that's a great idea. I'll probably have a few days off - plan on sticking to the foods but allowing paleo desserts - and then look at doing another round too.

So I am past the halfway point now - it's a good feeling. My husband told me today I have good will-power. My reply to him - and this is the absolute truth - was that I don't have a problem with keeping away from "forbidden" food as long as my overall food intake isn't limited. I'm so greedy :/

Breakfast: 2 eggs with homemade tomato sauce, sticks of raw red capsicum and choy sum stalk with mayo (cleaned out the last of my batch, have to make more!), banana and coconut.

Snack 1: red capsicum sticks, almonds.

Snack 2: sweet potato microwaved, drizzle of coconut milk and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Saw someone mention that on these forums and gave it a try - DELICIOUS. Tablespoon almond butter.

I worked the 12-4 shift at work and with only a ten minute break, taking a proper lunch in is just way too difficult. Hence the split snacks.

Dinner: Pork and apple casserole (slow cooked) with broccoli. New recipe, turned out pretty nice! Will keep it in the repertoire I think.

Hurrah, glad the weekend is coming! I can't complain about my weekdays as my research is my fulltime job and I love it, but the weekend is cooking time! Will have to find some new stuff to try before we do the grocery shop tomorrow.

Oh well, maybe I'll just do some experimenting and come up with my own version :)

Will be taking some pictures tomorrow that might be of interest to you Nadia! Watch this space ...

Have had a good day today ... The day after a meeting with my supervisor is always a relaxed one - not under pressure to impress anyone for a little while!

So, here is day 16.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with a bit of coconut milk, cooked in coconut (or should that be cocknut?) oil. Half an avocado, choy sum sticks and carrots dipped in homemade tomato sauce. Ran out of mayo :( But not to worry! At the supermarket today I bought this:

post-23725-0-41801500-1368796266_thumb.j

4 litres ... We'll be swimming in mayo before too long :D

Lunch: squid rings coated in coconut flour and cooked in coconut oil and broccoli.

Dinner: roast chicken prepared with olive oil and thyme, roast carrots and butternut pumpkin, broccoli.

Snack: almond butter.

Husband and I did a bit grocery shop this evening and I have come to the conclusion that the fridge is far too small. In order to get everything in, I'm making stock from the chicken carcass from dinner now instead of tomorrow as planned. Gee whiz. First world problems, hey?

Looking forward to more experimental cooking this weekend! Have a good one, everyone!

well I haven't started any plan in whole30, though I was reading it yesterday.

Best of luck if you do decide to. I'm enjoying eating so much at the moment and I'm stuffing myself with so many veggies I get to feel good about it too!

Here's to first world problems! Happy Week End!

I'm goingbtontry your squid in coconut flour using jumbo shrimp. I wonder if that will work? AIP approved? I will find out.

I'm getting bored with my very very simple foods. I think it's time to dress them up and try some recipes. Which would you recommend as must try?

Ooh, with the squid I thought it was nicer coated with dessicated coconut (instead of coconut flour). I don't know if that will translate to shrimp, but thought I'd mention it.

The favourites here have probably been the slow cooked meat type things, but the ones I've done have all had tomato in them! The turkey meatballs were nice and I'll make them again but they have egg in them for binding :/ Though I just googled egg substitutes and lots of people say to just leave them out so maybe you could still make some patties or meatballs and put lots of flavourful things in them!

Hmmm, that's not very helpful is it?

Looking forward to pictures, I am such a visual stalker, ya know. Cherry chicken recipe will land in your PM message box today. Shhhh.

As for shrimps - they are better covered with shredded coconut and baked. No egg substitutes, that's right. A bit of coconut flour or arrowroot work as binder. Adding starchier veggies to the meat works great. For example nomnom's fireball meatballs - they are heaven on the plate. Mix cooked onions, yam/sp with meat and fish sauce. Original calls for bell peppers and they do add more flavor, but I am talking about technique here. Pumpking and squashes will work too. Mixing shredded bacon into meat works great too. Mixing mushrooms works as binder too somehow. Shiitake? Yes please, such an amazing flavor booster. Calee, you can see I am restless monkey. I should stop. You've probably seen my list on the AIP log too. Moreover, if you go to my blog (no promotion intended) and go to the page kitchen... Browse sites and get inspired!

Ooh, with the squid I thought it was nicer coated with dessicated coconut (instead of coconut flour). I don't know if that will translate to shrimp, but thought I'd mention it.

The favourites here have probably been the slow cooked meat type things, but the ones I've done have all had tomato in them! The turkey meatballs were nice and I'll make them again but they have egg in them for binding :/ Though I just googled egg substitutes and lots of people say to just leave them out so maybe you could still make some patties or meatballs and put lots of flavourful things in them!

Hmmm, that's not very helpful is it?

You're always helpful! That's why I follow you. :)

Looking forward to pictures, I am such a visual stalker, ya know. Cherry chicken recipe will land in your PM message box today. Shhhh.

As for shrimps - they are better covered with shredded coconut and baked. No egg substitutes, that's right. A bit of coconut flour or arrowroot work as binder. Adding starchier veggies to the meat works great. For example nomnom's fireball meatballs - they are heaven on the plate. Mix cooked onions, yam/sp with meat and fish sauce. Original calls for bell peppers and they do add more flavor, but I am talking about technique here. Pumpking and squashes will work too. Mixing shredded bacon into meat works great too. Mixing mushrooms works as binder too somehow. Shiitake? Yes please, such an amazing flavor booster. Calee, you can see I am restless monkey. I should stop. You've probably seen my list on the AIP log too. Moreover, if you go to my blog (no promotion intended) and go to the page kitchen... Browse sites and get inspired!

Wonderful ideas. I'm glad you're a restless monkey if you come up with great recipes!!

Hmmmm... pumpking, that's a new one, sounds more like Cross Fit than food!

This morning I toasted some organic unsweetened coconut flakes in a hot pan, just plain, pan+coconut. Is that allowed? The flavor is over the top fabulous. I was careful to only toast a small handful until I got the word from the wise women. So eat or dump?

Final words..... Cherry Chicken... YUM?

Cherry anything sounds good to me! Wish I lived somewhere where cherries grew in abundance.

So today was a mega cooking day. Had a go at making a beef ragout: fried off the onion and garlic and browned the beef on the stove top and then transferred everything to the slow cooker so it could do its thing over the course of the afternoon. It turned out nice but I would have liked a thicker sauce. Will try again and tinker with the recipe a bit. Finally made the julienne peeler start earning its keep and had zucchini noodles with the ragout. Love them. Husband happily ate them as well. Am now fighting urge to julienne every vegetable in my fridge because it's so cool!

Made myself soup for lunch with my chicken stock, leftover chicken from last night's dinner and some veggies and then started my big project for the weekend.

I turned these ingredients

post-23725-0-46623900-1368880672_thumb.j

into this!

post-23725-0-68892600-1368880750_thumb.j

Homemade pâté is in the house! First time cooking with organ meat. I had a taste (or two, or three) while getting it from bowl to loaf pan but haven't tried it since it's set yet. (Way too full from dinner). Will see tomorrow morning if the texture has come out right. Liked what I tasted though, and can't wait to get a bite that has cranberry in it. I got the recipe from here (thanks Nadia for posting!) http://paleodietlifestyle.com/simple-and-delicious-liver-pate-recipes/

It's the second recipe: basil, cinnamon, cranberry chicken pâté (I left out the heart and put in some extra livers - couldn't get the heart or I would have given it a whirl!).

It made a TON. Would fully recommend halving the recipe unless you want a LOT of pâté. He actually says this makes a huge batch but I may or may not have skimmed over that when I first read the recipe.

Eats for the day:

Breakfast: leftover pork and apple casserole with broccoli. Half an avocado.

Lunch: Soup made with chicken broth, leftover shredded roast chicken, carrots and bok choy.

Dinner: Slow cooked beef ragout with zucchini noodles. Raspberries and coconut milk.

Snacks: almond butter. A few cranberries and tastes of pâté (both while pâté-making)

I overate at dinner. Not the ragout and 'noodles' - my serving of that wasn't actually that big at all, but I shouldn't have had the raspberries and coconut milk. It wasn't a big serving either but I think my tummy was well aware that this was too dessert-y and wasn't going to let it slide. Lucky me! Even when my conscience doesn't fight hard enough, my stomach starts yelling at me! (Probably a good thing too, I'll remember this next time). I feel so full at the moment. I'm dying to taste my pâté now that it has firmed up in the fridge but I don't want to eat anything else. It's going to have to wait until tomorrow morning ... So something to look forward to anyway.

Hope everyone is having a fab weekend! I'm going ten pin bowling tomorrow! Wheeeee!

I bookmarked the page but won't run out for ingredients till I hear your review. Funny because the other night while out walking, I told my neighbor that I'm craving chicken livers. We have them planned for this week. Happy Weekend, though I know it's evening for you already.

What do you eat your pate on? I really used to love eating crackers w cheese, or hummus, or creamy spread and cucumbers, but of course that is out now, and I'm not really a fan of raw veggies with dip. I suppose I could make sweet potato patties or chips, but thought I'd see if any of you have other suggestions.

(BTW, I love my nom nom paleo app and can't wait to try the cherry chicken too!)

Archived