percypat's 1st Whole 30

percypat

Nadia, I added chilli and coconut to my melon soup, the coconut was frozen grated stuff also from the asian grocery and it tasted really soapy, I think that was the problem plus I can't tolerate onion and garlic and I couldn't think of a good stock or herb or spice base for it.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The little yellow ones are called button squash here, funny how they have so many names. I have seen them here in the last month, not so often in the big 2 supermarkets though. Must try the small ones steamed and gheed, I usually stir fry them in 1/8ths

I was wondering what purple lime fries were.

Our purple sweet potatoes here are white on the inside and the white ones are purple on the inside... Funny hey!

I saw the white ones at the market today! Passed over them as my basket was overflowing and it felt like the handle was going to chop my arm off. If I'd known they were purple inside I'd have sucked it up and grabbed a couple. Oh well, next time.

I roasted some purple carrots tonight. I love roasted carrots, but the usual orange ones take a really long time to lose their crunch and go a bit gummy and caramelised which is delicious. The purple ones do it better. A++, will roast again :D

Also, really like the Japanese pumpkin. The last pumpkin I had - can't remember the name, might have been Jarrahdale? - was quite watery and tasteless. The Japanese (Kabocha) was lovely and rich. I can't believe it took me this long to check these markets out. Now I I have to get up super early every Friday morning!

Yeah - I needed Wikipedia to help me out with that one!

I've seen Kent pumpkins and it looks like the Crown pumpkin I used to get in NZ. Light grey skin? I wonder if they're the same. I liked Crown. I guess I should try some Kent to see. But the Japanese/Kabocha was very good.

Day 30 is drawing to a close! I did something I said I wouldn't do: I bought more dried figs. But I told myself that since it's the last day of my Whole 30, I'd be really cross with myself if I guzzled a whole bunch of them. So I have exercised some restraint. I had a couple at lunch, and two more at dinner. Happy with that!

Today was grocery shopping day and I am really chuffed that my my mindset is still firmly Whole 30. I bought 1 non-compliant thing and that's one pot of yoghurt. I will see if dairy has any effect on me. Of course this could be masked my immuno suppressants, as I'd expect any reaction to come from my skin. But it's worth having a look at.

I will look at the scales tomorrow but something is telling me not to be hopeful. I don't look or feel any smaller. I am fitting my clothes exactly the same as I did at the start. I know I ate more fruit and nuts than I probably should have and these may make the difference. But I am telling myself not to put too much importance on this. I have eaten the healthiest I have ever eaten in my life and I feel like I have done something really good for myself. Regardless of what the scales say, I'll keep going. I intend to stay compliant, with room to manoeuvre for meals out. So I guess that means I'll be graduating to the Post Whole 30 forum!

Meals for Day 30 looked like this:

Breakfast: chicken broth with shredded chicken and carrot sticks.

Lunch: sardines with red cabbage, broccoli and a dollop of mayonnaise. Couple of dried figs.

Dinner: Roast chicken prepped with olive oil and thyme, blanched sugar snap peas, roast kabocha squash, roast carrots (orange and purple). Couple of dried figs.

Linguistic pumpkin game. I love the button squash name, so cute. We used to make necklaces from them with other kids when I was visiting my Granny :) There are still several squashes I really want to try, but I've never seen them. Their names are so drooling :) Banana squash, Candy Roaster, Cheese pumpkin, Gem squash....

So Kent is buttercup here I assume. Japanese = kabocha squash. Those two are practically the same in terms of texture and density, but kabocha is sweeter. It's my fav too. They are so good stuffed with meat and veggies. This recipe is fool proof and gives an idea of the steps, but really any meat/veggie combo works. Main trick is to pour the liquid. I love cutting it in wedges and roasting with coconut oil and spices (curry powder or thyme/cinnamon or sage/ginger or anything really). Coconut oil makes them so juicy and sweet. 400F (200C) for 30 minutes on a foil sheet. Flip half way through. You can drizzle some balsamic 5 before the timer goes off too. Some people peel them, I don't. I love the skins too.

Carrot fries or carrot coins or carrot ribbons. Pretty much same technology, but you've figured out already. My go to combos: thyme/cinnamon/coconut oil, cumin/coriander, curry powder/lemon, lime juice/lime zest, Herbes de Provence. Post wh30 you can mix in a bit of honey as it makes them sing truly. Balsamic reduction is a nice touch too.

Sweet potatoes. Here is a visual guide for ya'll. White skinned purple fleshed ones are fantastic. Take it for sure next time.

Nadia, I added chilli and coconut to my melon soup, the coconut was frozen grated stuff also from the asian grocery and it tasted really soapy, I think that was the problem plus I can't tolerate onion and garlic and I couldn't think of a good stock or herb or spice base for it.

Ouch, I hear you. My tummy hates raw garlic and onions. Well, that's maybe for good since caramelized onions is sort of food with no brakes for me. If you ever would like to give it another try - maybe roast it? I have a recipe on my try list with it. I actually might get one this weekend. I love challenges :) So recipe is cubeb winter melon, pumpkin/squash and mushrooms. Everything is tossed with olive oil and thyme and roasted at 375F(190C) for like 25 min. Sounds good to me. If I could eat tomatoes I'd definitely make this tomato winter melon broth with 5 spices prawns.

Today was grocery shopping day and I am really chuffed that my my mindset is still firmly Whole 30. I bought 1 non-compliant thing and that's one pot of yoghurt. I will see if dairy has any effect on me. Of course this could be masked my immuno suppressants, as I'd expect any reaction to come from my skin. But it's worth having a look at.

I will look at the scales tomorrow but something is telling me not to be hopeful. I don't look or feel any smaller. I am fitting my clothes exactly the same as I did at the start. I know I ate more fruit and nuts than I probably should have and these may make the difference. But I am telling myself not to put too much importance on this. I have eaten the healthiest I have ever eaten in my life and I feel like I have done something really good for myself. Regardless of what the scales say, I'll keep going. I intend to stay compliant, with room to manoeuvre for meals out. So I guess that means I'll be graduating to the Post Whole 30 forum!

Brilliant that you're in the mindset that you wanted to end up with! I think you're smart to test dairy with some yogurt. You'll be eating out and don't want a total disaster when your husband finally gets to take you out to that french restaurant.

I imagine your body was probably perfect when you set out for your W30, so no surprise if the scale doesn't change. You teach Zumba and I know my teachers are all in the best shape. You have to be to do it!!

As far as eating too many nuts, how about you ate the perfect amount of nuts for your personal W30. You've felt great except a few days of slump in there, your energy has been good. You've been happy and productive and now have a baby SCOBY living with you! You've tried new foods, cooked new recipies, inspired so many of us. I'd say from looking in, that your Whole 30 was amazing for you.

And yes, we get to go play with the big kids in the Post W30 play area. :)

Hugs and more hugs. Kudos for being such a rock star!

We have butternut squash (pumpkin) here same as elsewhere and same name

We also have a grey large pumpkin called Queensland blue which is also known as Jarrahdale or almost identical, not quite sure.

Then Kent pumpkin which I have just looked up is the same as jap and kabocha.

There are also some small novelty pumpkins.

I have had a gem squash and a golden nugget. The golden nuggets remind us here of Halloween pumpkins, we hardly ever see large bright orange ones.

The gem squash I baked didn't have any flavour :(

Calee, thank you for your lovely words!

Just got on the scales and I have to confess it was a moment of dismay. I've gone from 57.5kg to 58.3. So that's about 126.5 to 128.5 pounds. I'm still within my healthy weight range, but I guess I thought I would stay the same and not go up.

I don't lift so I don't think I can really attribute this to putting on muscle. And to be honest, I don't do all that much exercise. I teach my two Zumba classes a week and at the moment, that is about it. I didn't used to be fit person but I discovered Zumba three years ago and went crazy, doing about 10 group fitness classes a week (a mix of Zumba, a kick boxing class, and spin), running and some lifting. Looking back, I think I may have had a bit of a gym addiction. Anyway, since then I've calmed down (moving to France for a year put paid to that) but have never really had to work on my fitness so I don't. I don't even practise Zumba for my classes all that much because I have a really good memory and I learn songs super quickly! Perhaps I should have added in a bit more.

I'm not fat, but I do carry my weight on my tummy and arms, and I'm pretty busty for someone of Asian descent (thanks Grandma).

And I can't discount my meds either. I was reading through the side effects list again, and weight gain is on there. I hope that isn't a factor as I don't want to be fighting against that as I continue on!

Anyway, that's enough weight-wallowing. I didn't get the result I wanted weight-wise, but I gave my body a good solid month of healthy eating and I want to keep doing it. I tried lots of new things, I feel good.

Thanks everyone who has encouraged me along the way. It makes coming here such a pleasure and it's so motivating. You guys are awesome :) See y'all in the Big Kids forum!

We're big girls now! I'm sorry you're a bit disappointed in the scale. Please focus on how great you've eaten all month and how good you feel. I've read in several places that if you need to lose weight, you will, and if you need to gain, you will. I'd go with that! The book also says to keep going with our healthy Who,e eating and our bodies will self regulate. I secretly wanted a few more pounds. ;)

You have a pet SCOBY! How darn cool is that? And now we are both Kombucha lovers. I went to the market last night and bought 13 more bottles because tomorrow they go back to $3.99 instead of $1.99.

I think you burn more calories in your hour of Zumba than I do in a 2-3 hour hike! You look totally fit!

Don't dismay about anything and focus on the wonderful. I hope your yogurt reentry goes well.

Percypat, I have been in the same situation. I am a similar weight to you too, with height around 160cm.

I read recently in lots of places that just upping your protein and reducing inflammation through a diet like the whole30 can have a dramatic effect on body composition irrespective of exercise. So weight itself doesn't always tell you much.

I have gained around my thighs/bum but my upper body is still okay and this summer I wore skirts that are usually too tight around the waist even when I was 5 kgs lighter..... So my shape is different for sure. I got down to 52kgs after WW a few years ago and while I liked being that shape I had to consciously restrict food every minute and a lot of my diet was grains and dairy so my tummy wasn't happy!

I went from 58 to 55 after my first whole30 but i was coming from a toxic place. i still had major sugar issues so i did a whole100 but to get through this without sugar and alcohol and chocolate i ate too much... nuts, fruit, coconut cream, sweet potatoes you name it. But I did vanquish my sugar dragon and can now pass up free cakes and biscuits and don't even eat the gf substitutes now either except very occasionally! They are no longer real food to me thank goodness.

This whole30 I am really focusing on three meals and not too much fruit and no coffee, nuts or coconut plus lots of low intensity exercise like walking and I think it will make a big difference weight wise.

Hello! I'm echoing the sentiments of those familiar to your log ... you're a wonderfully funny, adventurous sort of woman who has pushed the limits in food exploration! That's pretty darn cool! I was in a challenge group with some of my co-workers; I lost the least amount of weight. To be brutally honest, I was slightly sad. Sad until I reassessed all of the really great stuff that i gained and the gross stuff that i lost. Then, I felt a lot better! I bet you do too, now that you've had time to review the day. You're one of "the ones" that I look to for inspiration and guidance as I lurk around these parts; your influence has been significant for many newbies, I'm sure. Have a great sleep, then up and at 'em for another great day in Whole30 land!

See you around the neighborhood ... :D

Dear Sophie, I want to write a loooong post, but I am super sleepy. So more tomorrow, haha.

I've gained weight on my first wh30. It all levels up eventually. I wish our bodies would report about what they are about to do/heal/fix/not fix, but that's not the case :)

My offal respect and booch brewer salut to you, sweet girl.

Juzbo: thank you for sharing. Sounds like our Whole 30s played out similarly (too many nuts, sweet potatoes, too much coconut!) and I'm focusing on the same tweaks as you going forward. Let's compare notes going forward - we might have some useful information for each other as we keep on keeping on :)

mrslynch1963: thank you for your lovely post and kind words. It's a bit said that we zone in so much on that stupid scale when there are so many other things to celebrate! I'm so chuffed that some of the things I've said have been helpful :) I looked up to so many people when I started and still do (more than ever in fact). I love how we can all learn from and help each other. Warm fuzzies!

Nadia: I read in your success post about the initial gain and the levelling out, and reminded myself of that this morning. Wouldn't a monthly report from the inside be nice? I don't think I even need to say how inspiring you've been to me :) Have a good sleep!

As far as eating too many nuts, how about you ate the perfect amount of nuts for your personal W30. You've felt great except a few days of slump in there, your energy has been good. You've been happy and productive and now have a baby SCOBY living with you! You've tried new foods, cooked new recipies, inspired so many of us. I'd say from looking in, that your Whole 30 was amazing for you.

Love this! Sometimes we're so, so hard on ourselves. Congratulations, percypat!

Archived