percypat's 1st Whole 30

percypat

Mmm, cherries. I had some of my frozen ones today. Not so good as yours I'm sure, but I'll take them :)

Still impatiently peeking at what I hope is my scoby. At least I'm keeping the camera away from it :P

Day 26! Is it just me or does time speed up more the closer you get to the 30 days?

Breakfast: pate, red cabbage, capsicum sticks with mayo. Butter tea.

Lunch: pate, spinach and mushrooms fried in ghee, half an avocado. Frozen cherries with a bit of coconut milk. Tea with coconut milk.

Dinner: salmon cakes with blanched bok choy, sweet potato with ghee. Kombucha.

Snack: almond butter.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad to hear the days speed up as you get closer to 30! Can you tell me about the Kombucha? We have one store brand here but it's all flavored to taste like soda. ie, dr. Pepper, coke, sprite etc. it is good but I know it is sweetened with agave. Are you making your own? If so would you mind sharing how or a recipe link? Thanks!

Sure! But I don't know how much I have to tell will be useful as I've only just started growing my first scoby!

I've been drinking an Australian brand called Mojo, and I used a bottle of that to start growing my scoby.

I found this series helpful for information on the brewing process:

http://www.firstcomeshealth.com/2013/04/make-your-own-scoby/

But I did read some others as well and ended up starting my scoby with 1 bottle of store bought kombucha (raw, no flavouring), 1 cup of tea and 1 tablespoon of sugar. I brewed a cup of tea, sweetened it and waited for it to cool to room temperature. Then I emptied the bottle of kombucha into the tea and covered the bowl with a cloth. My bowl was too wide and had an uneven edge which wasn't ideal, so I bought a glass jar, sterilised it with boiling water and waited for it to cool, and then poured the kombucha/tea mixture into it and covered it with a handkerchief.

There are some very accomplished brewers here, and KB has just started a homebrew thread in the Recipes forum, so come and hang out there with any questions!

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/10419-kombucha-makers-unite-where-to-ask-and-be-answered/

So what is better than one jar of homemade mayo?

mayo_zps4a0ba16d.jpg

I made a double batch because I'm a greedy little monkey and about halfway through the oil-drizzling stage the self-doubt started. The food processor bowl was completely coated in opaque white liquid, I couldn't see inside it and my one attempt to peek into the narrow feeder bit on the lid resulted in lemony egg-oil going in my eye. Was it ok to stop and have a look? I wasn't sure. And if it failed, I would be throwing away not one but TWO cups of olive oil and two lovely eggs.

Started wishing I'd stuck with what I knew and hadn't been so cocky.

Fortunately the outcome was good and I won't have to make anymore mayo for oh, at least a week. Maybe.

The jars are in the fridge and I am "cleaning" the bowl right now ;)

I dip carrot and capsicum sticks in mine, use it for making salmon cakes (and then put some more on top when I'm eating them).

It'd be nice with sweet potato fries too.

I may or may not sneak a straight spoonful out of the far when no one is looking ... :ph34r:

Egg salad!! Also fun to slather on butter lettuce and then wrap stuff up in it. Today I had roast beef and roasted red bell peppers. Also great as a salad dressing for a big ass shrimp salad. I may or may not dip into it with a spoon as I walk through the kitchen. :0)

I may or may not dip into it with a spoon as I walk through the kitchen. :0)

I mean, who would do a crazy thing like that?

I had one of those days where I couldn't be bothered thinking too much about food (that doesn't mean I didn't want to eat!), as such I ate pretty much the same thing all day. I still enjoyed all my meals so no worries there. We've got some pink lady apples at the moment and they are so so sweet. I know they are a sweet apple to begin with but I think my tastebuds have woken up a bit. I really needed the almond butter to temper the sweetness a bit! Guess I should go back to granny smith apples, but I just love how crunchy the pink ladies are.

Another peek at my SCOBY ... The film has definitely spread across the surface of the liquid. I was freaking out there was mould on it as I could see these brighter dots and I finally twigged they were the bubbles sitting right beneath the film. So I think it's doing ok.

Breakfast: pate, baby spinach, capsicum sticks with mayo, half an apple with almond butter. Tea with coconut milk.

Lunch: blob of pate (last taste of the batch ... what to make next ...), 2 salmon cakes, baby spinach, capsicum sticks with mayo.

Dinner: 2 salmon cakes, baby spinach, capsicum sticks with mayo, half an apple with almond butter.

Snack: half an apple, 1 small salmon cake. Plus a few licks of mayo ("pre-cleaning" the bowl before washing it).

So this is Day 27 done. Friday is my last day. On the one hand I am looking forward to making something sweet and dessert-y (but with compliant ingredients nonetheless), on the other I'm a bit nervous about not having my safety blanket. Hubby has been so good, not questioning my dietary choices, eating whatever I make, but I know he is excited about me finishing so we can go out for meals and cook some of our old dishes. Soon I will have to make my own choices instead of being able to refer everything back to "Can't have that, Whole 30".

Time for a cup of tea I think!

Well said about making our own choices! I think that's the area that I fear the most and will have the most challenge. Would I have reached for popcorn in the movies yesterday without the restrictions? I have in the past but that doesn't mean I will in the future. I definitely know that I want to stay away from flour products. They are no brake foods and cause immediate inflamation in my hands.

I look forward to actually doing another Whole30 but this time without all my self imposed restrictions. That way I will get to see what foods really cause me problems. The AIP that I did for 10 days was very limiting. I actually love boundaries!

Well done to both of us. Maybe we should start a post group for those of us finishing Whole 30 on Friday?

We definitely should! I want to stay compliant with the occasional off-roading for a meal out and maybe the odd meal at home (there is a pulled pork recipe hubby is keen to make again with several sugary ingredients and there is no way he will be able to eat it himself, even as a series of leftovers). I don't want to eat wheat anymore. Dairy I was pretty much off anyway. I don't need all the sugar I used to eat.

Anyway, I'm learning way too much cool stuff and meeting all these wonderful people so I have to keep going :D Won't it be nice to graduate to the post-Whole-30 forum?

Good idea! I adore rhubarb! I love eating it raw with salt (weirdo) but I haven't been doing that lately as my teeth and gums are sensitive from the meds I'm taking for my eczema :/

We're going to graduate! I am reading ISWF. About re-entry. It says we can do more than 30 if we need to. I am still not waking up radiant. I want that. I want to continue with the W30 template. Adding in nightshades by testing, and beef and eggs. Then I will know how I react. Plus I'm still fluffy. Will think on what I need/want. Occasional planned off roading.? So much to contemplate.

Definitely want to continue this way of eating ... Also quite keen to see how I go with the rules in place. Can I continue to make good choices? Occasional planned off-roading sounds like the way forward for me, but want it to be really occasional and not something that escalates.

I think I might be allergic to zucchini :( I made the comfort noodles from theclothesmakethegirl which involved zucchini noodles (funnily enough). Now I've had a couple of episodes in the past where handling raw zucchini has made my hands a bit itchy. With me though, this can often be put down to a bad eczema day where I've got small cuts from scratching and all sorts of things can sting a bit or itch.

Well it happened again today, and then when I was eating the noodles I started getting an itchy upper lip. This is a major signal for me. I have a bad reaction to sunflower seeds which took years to work out and the itchy upper lip symptom helped me trace the culprit.

Then ... just like the sunflower seeds - sore, queasy tummy. Pain that came and went. *sigh*

I don't think I can eat them anymore. Once we worked out the sunflower seed allergy and could pinpoint isolated episodes, we realised it had escalated each time from a bit of itching, to a sore tummy, to the runs (ah lovely), to full blown vomiting. The second to last time I had them I actually collapsed! (Not quite fainting, but got all dizzy and legs just went out from beneath me). And yup, it took one more bout of nibbling for the penny to drop (I'm a slow learner).

I don't want to go through that again. Steering clear of zucchini from now on. The only other ingredients were eggs, garlic, olive oil, almond meal and coconut oil. I eat those other things much more than I do zucchini and none of them have made my hands itch. All the symptoms together are just a bit too coincidental for my liking!

Apart from that, day went by as it usually does.

Breakfast: salmon cakes, baby spinach, carrot sticks and mayo. Tea with coconut milk.

Lunch: said comfort noodles. :angry: Comfort, my foot.

Dinner: Steak, roast butternut and garlic mash, broccoli, mayo, apple smeared with a little almond butter.

Snack: tablespoon of almond butter

So holy moo cow, only two more days of my safety blanket left and then it's into the big scary world of choices. Hubby mentioned the French restaurant again tonight so I am sure this is in my very near future. Might see if I can download a menu so I can plan some reintroducing before then. Since it's French food we can make some educated guesses ... Definitely dairy, definitely wheat (le pain, bien sur!) ... Oh, everything!

Oy, so sorry about the comfort noodles. What an interesting way to react. Definitely don't want your legs caving again!

French restaurant? Can you wait a bit until you've reintroduced dairy and wheat? Do you want to add them back? I went vegan for 8 years(big difference to 30 days) going back had terrible consequences for me. I had immediate clear the room gas. I'll be curious to see what happens if/when I reintroduce it.

Off roading doesn't sound appealing to me yet. But then, I've had decades longer than you to sample delicacies and no partner luring me with sexy little French phrases. :)

Two more days till we graduate! It's gone fat and slow, all at the same time. I didn't think my slump would ever end!

Definitely not! I know that with some allergies, the response can become worse with each exposure to the offending food and I think that might be what's happening here - especially as I've started eating more zucchini thanks to my julienne peeler! There are heaps of other veggies I can eat in its place. No need to risk any further reactions!

Do you know, I'm not desperate to have dairy and wheat back but it would be nice to have the option of eating them once in a blue moon for a special occasion. Also, we'll be going to Paris for 3 weeks or so next year so I can do some immersion study (just had my travel grant approved from the uni!) and I certainly won't want to be too stymied there. It would be nice to know ahead of time that some of those things are ok. Of course my medication will be throwing a spanner in the works here. I'm not a bloater and sore tummies are uncommon for me. Any skin reactions will likely be dulled by the immuno suppressants (unless it's a major reaction like the zucchini). I guess I will definitely have to do another Whole 30 when I come off them!

So I think I'll reintroduce wheat and dairy to see what happens, but will take them out again. If I handle ok, then I know I can indulge if we go out for dinner or if I don't want to be difficult at a friend's place.

We're nearly there!

Maybe it's just my fear of wheat but I would definitely hold off on the bread. We went out for my husband's birthday at the end of my W30. I had booze, wine, sugar and dairy. It was all farm-to-table good food and I didn't feel bad.

But I think adding wheat to the mix would've taken things over the edge. (And this place has amazing bread -- and the best butter I've ver tasted. Fortunately my husband turned down the bread before it ever hit out table.)

Plus, just from experience, it's frustrating when you add things back in a group and can't tease out what is making you feel bad.

I second that, I completed my Whole30 in January and I've really been doing reintroduction since then. It takes me about 2 weeks recovery from eating wheat, and initially I was in denial that it was wheat. However Corn, Rice and pretty much all grains don't make me feel well, some are worse than others.

PP, I'm not sure how scientific this article is, but I knew I'd seen something about zucchini and sunflower seeds before:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/29036809/ns/health-allergies_and_asthma/t/hay-fever-dont-forget-check-your-plate/#.UaZbnEAtQsI

Good idea! I adore rhubarb! I love eating it raw with salt (weirdo) but I haven't been doing that lately as my teeth and gums are sensitive from the meds I'm taking for my eczema :/

I've never tried that! I think I'll try it tonight. Thanks for the idea

My favorite way to eat rhubarb is when it's baked with marinated chicken or in salsa (which has apples in it too) with white fish. Who is weird now :)

If anyone is interested in salsa thing lemme know, I'll post.

Sorry about your courgette issue. Are you brave enough to try summer squash and see what happens? They are similar in texture and great for zoodling.

Archived