Compliant Coconut Milk

charlibets

• Moderators

There are several compliant brands. Look for canned coconut milk, usually in the ethnic foods section of the grocery store, not the cartons near the milk.

Aroy-d makes some that's compliant, I think Thai Kitchen (or is it Thai Express?) makes One. Just read the labels. Guar gum is okay as an ingredient, many of them have it.

• Moderators

Whole Foods 365 Brand is compliant where I live, but make sure you check your labels! Also, Trader Joes has 'light' coconut milk which works for cooking/coffee and I find it's actually richer and higher in fat than some of the other canned varieties that aren't 'light'.

I bought unsweetened Coconut Milk "A Taste of Thai" - the ingredients are "Coconut, Water, Guar Gum".  Gluten free, preservative free, GMO free, MSG free.

But, when I look in the nutritional information, I see that it says "Sugars - 2g".  Do coconuts have natural sugar (i.e., is this OK to consume)?  Or do I need to throw this out?  Help!!

I bought unsweetened Coconut Milk "A Taste of Thai" - the ingredients are "Coconut, Water, Guar Gum".  Gluten free, preservative free, GMO free, MSG free.

But, when I look in the nutritional information, I see that it says "Sugars - 2g".  Do coconuts have natural sugar (i.e., is this OK to consume)?  Or do I need to throw this out?  Help!!

This product is fine. The ingredients list rules on a Whole30.  (and yes, coconuts have natural sugar, which is why we tell folks to not use the nutritional label in making compliance decisions, as it causes confusion.)

I found a coconut milk in Costco that includes this ingredient:

Polyoxyethyleme Sorbitan Monostearate (For Emulsifier),

Is this ok?

Per this link, this synthetic compound is produced from sorbitol. Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol, which is not allowed on a Whole30.

I'd steer clear of this brand.

I bought a bag of coconut flake and have been making my own coconut milk. One cup flakes with two cups water, blend together, and strain through cheesecloth. The bonus of this method is that you can take the leftover pulp, spread it on a cookie sheet, and dry it in a low oven to make coconut flour.

From my 8oz bag of coconut flake, I've gotten 8 cups of coconut milk and I think I have enough to make 2 more cups from this bag. So, assuming I get 10 cups of milk, that's equivalent to about 5 cans of coconut milk. I usually pay about $1.50 per can of coconut milk (on a good day) which equal out to $7.50. I paid $2.50 for my bag of coconut flake.

• Moderators

I agree with making your own, but on the assumption that not everyone has the time or inclination, there are MANY brands of coconut milk on the market that have nothing but coconut or water.  In a pinch I would even buy one with guar gum in it but knowing that there are shelf stable brands with no additives makes me very suspicious of the ones with additives... what's the reason for adding junk... 

I agree with making your own, but on the assumption that not everyone has the time or inclination, there are MANY brands of coconut milk on the market that have nothing but coconut or water.  In a pinch I would even buy one with guar gum in it but knowing that there are shelf stable brands with no additives makes me very suspicious of the ones with additives... what's the reason for adding junk... 

Guar gum is also a gut irritant for some folks. Part of the reason that I got into the habit of making my own coconut milk was because back when I did an Autoimmune Protocol, I nixed the emulsifiers and stabilizers and couldn't find coconut milk without additives except through buying online.

• Moderators

Interesting!  I don't have a problem with Guar Gum but it's so seldom I ever use it.  I've found a boxed brand out of Thailand that is 85% coconut and water as the only ingredients.  It's delicious and a huge steal at $3.99 for 1000ml!  I really strongly believe that there's no reason to eat things with emulsifiers and stabilizers and other random chemicals... 

If you're in the states, there's the brand Golden Star Trading, which I understand is available at Walmarts around the country and it's not got any additives either... not a boon for us Canadian's tho cause to buy a case of it for $13, it costs $85 in shipping... They shipped me a case for free once and the border security people saw the price of the shipping, the declared value of the goods and assumed it was drugs, so they opened a can to test... then put a piece of tape on the full open can, put it back in the box and sent it on it's way... the smell by the time it got to me... and the package was disgusting!  Anyway, that's neither here nor there, but I guess 'cool story bro!'

Archived