Allergy to coconut

leahthebee

• Moderators

It probably depends on the recipes, but you can definitely try the almond milk. You can also make nut milk from any nut you like, if you want to try different types. There's a basic recipe here. I haven't tried them, but I've read that different nuts yield not only different flavors, but also different levels of creaminess, so it might be worth reading about it and trying different types.

I know we've had past discussions here on the forum about doing a whole30 without coconut, it has been done before. Google Whole30 no coconut to find those discussions and see if there's anything helpful there.

One big difference between the two is fat content. My local coconut milks are much higher in fat than almond milks.

Lots of people can't eat coconut though, so there are lots of coconut free meals (some people also don't like the taste).

Ghee and duck fat are just two tasty fat alternatives.

Thai curries are the only thing I think you really can't replace coconut milk in, but there's plenty of Thai dishes without coconut too :)

Are there any particular recipes you liked the look of?

Well, I was perusing the Whole30 book and saw that there were a lot of recipes that use coconut. For instance, I really want to make sweet potato mash or cauliflower mash and they both use coconut milk. I wanted to know if almond milk might change the taste significantly in a recipe like that.

• Moderators

Well, I was perusing the Whole30 book and saw that there were a lot of recipes that use coconut. For instance, I really want to make sweet potato mash or cauliflower mash and they both use coconut milk. I wanted to know if almond milk might change the taste significantly in a recipe like that.

No, in that case it's just looking for a creamy type liquid so you should be fine with a substitution.

I had a similar question. I am allergic to coconut and think I can manage for 30 days, but I would love to be able to make this sauce however, it calls for blackstrap molasses. Since coconut aminos will kill me, I wonder if I can use this sauce sparingly? It seems like a better alternative than soy sauce...

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/03/01/substitute-soy-sauce-coconut-aminos/

• Moderators

Nope, sorry... no sugar for any reason.

The good news is that you don't need coconut aminos to make any of the recipes... many people don't have access to coconut aminos or choose not to spend the premium dollars on it and they just omit.

Archived