Early Morning Breakfast help..

Ksass4

Beginning my first Whole30 tomorrow.  I feel pretty well prepared since I'm already Paleo-ish, but my biggest dilemma right now are breakfasts, and my unique but chaotic work schedule.

I work as a vendor role in surgery at various hospitals in the area.  My work schedule is never the same from week to week, but most days I start 630am. Furthermore, I may be stuck in a surgery for many hours without a break as I also work independently.  So I need something with a lot of protein/fat to keep me satiated throughout the morning/noon.  My normal go to is the 1-minute microwave mug muffins with sunbutter or meat/egg/cheese sandwich on homemade GF bread, which I know both are 'no-gos' on the whole30. 

I cannot stomach vegetable based or all-egg breakfasts that early, and need something portable as I have a bad habit of eating on the way to work (one I hope to break while doing this).  I am making a batch of Paleo Egg Carnitas Muffins from Stupid Easy Paleo tonight as a start, but need other ideas for things I can make/eat early morning. 

Any input or recommendations?  Anyone with similar work schedules - how have you dealt with this?  

Recipe link  - http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/06/10/paleo-carnitas-egg-muffins/

Thanks!

• Moderators

Google Whole30 breakfast on the go to find past discussions on this topic.

In general, stop thinking in terms of breakfast. Anything you can have for any other meal works just fine for the first meal of the day. Meatballs, burger patties, chicken, salmon cakes, paired with whatever veggies you like -- salads, roasted vegetables, raw vegetables, this Velvety Butternut Squash, soups. Don't forget your healthy fats -- mayo, avocado, olives, coconut, or look up recipes for sauces and dips.

Google Whole30 breakfast on the go to find past discussions on this topic.

In general, stop thinking in terms of breakfast. Anything you can have for any other meal works just fine for the first meal of the day. Meatballs, burger patties, chicken, salmon cakes, paired with whatever veggies you like -- salads, roasted vegetables, raw vegetables, this Velvety Butternut Squash, soups. Don't forget your healthy fats -- mayo, avocado, olives, coconut, or look up recipes for sauces and dips.

I understand this.  What I meant, is that most the foods I would eat at other times of the day, I can't stomach that early in the morning. Ive tried eating leftovers/veggies before, and couldn't get more than a few bites in before losing complete appetite or felt like I would get sick to the stomach, even plain scrambled eggs will turn me green too early in the morning. But, leftovers/veggies in later morning (say after 9am) I can handle just fine.

I guess what I'm asking for, is help or input on how others have dealt with similar issue; getting your appetite to change on a sensitive stomach in early morning hours.   Hope this clarifies a bit.

Some people do really well with a blended soup.  You can heat it up with a to go cup and "eat" it in the car on the way to work.  That and a couple of egg muffins - and you have a decent breakfast.

The discomfort that you get with eating a true meal type meal at breakfast is a pretty good indication that your hormones may be out of balance.  If you try your best with trying to eat a true template meal - eat what you can - then take the rest to go - your body will become adjusted to the new routine and be more accepting.  But you have to be willing to go through a few days worth of discomfort to get there.....

The discomfort that you get with eating a true meal type meal at breakfast is a pretty good indication that your hormones may be out of balance. 

You've pretty much nailed that one on the head, since I've always had problems with hormones, and am having some issues with them now :( I'm hoping this Whole30 will help them.

You've pretty much nailed that one on the head, since I've always had problems with hormones, and am having some issues with them now :( I'm hoping this Whole30 will help them.

Yep - I feel your pain.... I had a number of hormonal issues myself.

Having a true blue breakfast in the morning will definitely help with the reset of those hormones.

For me personally I always had breakfast - I could never do without - however it was always a pretty sugar loaded breakfast.  I now I am working on undoing many, many years of hormonal imbalance.  It takes time and patience to work through.  Don't expect everything to be resolved in 30 days - but it should definitely get better from here on in.

I feel like I chip in this comment or one like it on a lot of threads, but it seems to be such a common thing that I always want to reassure people just starting their Whole30, and I empathize so much with what you're feeling, OP:

I hated breakfast. Not gonna lie - I still don't *like* the process of eating breakfast because I am generally grumpy, if awake, in the mornings. I'm in my mid-30s and never had a breakfast habit before Whole30. Ever. But it only took a week or so on Whole30 before my really strong gag reflex and roiling nausea at the thought of putting food in my mouth at 6:30 AM had *mostly* dissipated. Obviously not everyone has the same experience, and I will admit that some of my first few breakfasts were compliant but not to the template (I mostly focused on getting my protein first, and sometimes was scant on veggies), but after a week it was not a big deal.

I still don't like eggs first thing in the morning, they continue to turn my stomach. I never eat eggs for weekday breakfasts. But my favorite breakfast these days is actually fish (white fish or salmon, usually) with roasted sweet potato or carrots. I legitimately crave it when I wake up, even when I'm grumpy and tired and dreading a long day.

That's when you know your hormones are on the mend, when you're hungry when you wake up :)

Stick with it, it really works. I used to wake up at 5am or 6am at the latest and not eat anything until after 10am, as everything made me feel sick.

Now, I can eat as soon as I wake up, I'm hungry and I actually enjoy it :)

Try to keep any coffee until after you've eaten, as it messes with your appetite.

The problem I'm facing is that my sleep schedule is inconsistent. For example, I only worked 2 days last week, and non-work days I sleep in until 9am.  Then, starting tomorrow I have to be up and on the road by 530am to get to work, Tuesday another early 630am start, then the rest of the week I work later morning/early afternoon shifts.  Its the fluctuation in my job/sleep patterns thats causing lack of appetite some mornings; I'm simply not used to eating a full balanced meal at 530am, and don't know I ever will. 

Tomorrow for the 530am morning I have an chicken apple sausage, sweet potato/apple hash, and 2 egg carnitas muffins with a dab of mayo.  I'll be slowly nibbling that on my way to work (1.5hr drive), not ideal I'm aware, but afraid if I eat too quickly at home there will be consequences.  I also wont be able to eat again until probably noon or 1pm, so that's why I like to eat a protein/fat rich breakfast.

Today is day 6 for me, and finally getting the whole tempo of this down.  Unfortunately, I think my Whole30 is going to fall short in regards to sticking to the meal templates on those early work days; but if that's where I only fall short, think I'm going to do pretty good  :) 

Thanks everyone for your input so far.  I do appreciate it!

Is it possible for you to experiment with getting up at the same time every day, regardless of what time you have to be in work?  I wonder if that might help your hormonal balance and meal 1 planning?

Is it possible for you to experiment with getting up at the same time every day, regardless of what time you have to be in work?  I wonder if that might help your hormonal balance and meal 1 planning?

I've tried in the past, it doesn't last with me.  I love my sleep, and have no problem getting 8-9hrs in (sometimes 10 if work has been stressful).  So any morning I can sleep in, I'm taking full advantage of.  Don't get me wrong, I do believe a consistent sleep schedule is key to better health, but with my unique job, the word "consistent" simply doesn't exist in our field ;)

Archived