Dizzy and Anxious

• Moderators

Can you post what you've been eating including portion sizes and water intake?  Lightheadedness is often a sign of not eating enough.  Are you also salting your food?

Do you have anxiety issues in general?

Today for breakfast I had a good sized slice of the spinach fritata that I made and coffee and water.  For lunch I had watermelon, an apple and a protein salad in a red bell pepper and water.  I have been having bad anxiety lately but I thought it was due to my high sugar intake..so wondering can you have anxiety while your body is trying to get adjusted to less sugar? not sure..

• Moderators

I don't know what's in your spinach frittata, but if eggs are the only protein source in it, be sure your slice is big enough that you get the equivalent of as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand, which is probably 3-4 eggs. So, if you used 9 eggs in the frittata, and you can hold 3 eggs in your hand (this is sounding like a bad math problem, sorry), you'd need about a third of the frittata. 

Your lunch sounds very fruit-heavy. Try to limit fruit to one to two servings a day, where a serving is roughly the size of your closed fist, and don't substitute the fruit for your vegetables -- make sure you get 1-3 cups of vegetables, and then if you still want something, have some fruit. Some people actually find that it's easier not to have any fruit for a while, because the sweetness of it becomes their way of feeding their sugar cravings, but that's totally up to you. If you do find yourself craving sugar, and you can't distract yourself and feel you must eat something, have some olives or avocado or other fat instead to help break those cravings.

Make sure you have at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day, and you may want more right now -- it can help with anxiety and depression. Do have other vegetables as well, it's good to have a mix of different types.

You might also want to lose the caffeine, it can contribute to feeling anxious. 

Were you ever anxious? Im on day three now and I'm still pretty dizzy and anxious. But I can't tell if its just my anxiety getting worse or if I'm more anxious because I'm dizzy. I also haven't eaten that much today. Just a little salmon potatoes and one tiny piece of watermelon and a ton of water because I'm slightly nauseous.

• Moderators

Were you ever anxious? Im on day three now and I'm still pretty dizzy and anxious. But I can't tell if its just my anxiety getting worse or if I'm more anxious because I'm dizzy. I also haven't eaten that much today. Just a little salmon potatoes and one tiny piece of watermelon and a ton of water because I'm slightly nauseous.

Not eating is not going to help the situation.  Sit down with a proper template meal in front of you and try and eat it... take your time if you need to but not eating will exacerbate the lightheaded dizziness, which may exacerbate the anxiety and the nausea won't go away...

Hey amandawhtt! I just wanted to share my personal experience - I felt anxious, shaky and nauseous around Day 4, when I also had a pretty stellar headache going on. Just like what Shannon mentioned, another wonderful mod suggested that I try upping my starchy veggies, and I added in potatoes and sweet potatoes pretty regularly, and I have felt really a TON better since then! No more nausea, lightheadedness or anxiety... just something you might want to consider when building your plates!  :)

Some people need a fist sized serving of starchy veg with *every* meal, some people don't need that much. Sometimes people just need it for a day or two.

If you're feeling anxious, add lots more, you can always try less when you're feeling better.

The nausea is your hormones, which will settle down. Eating to the template really helps, if you don't eat enough, your body can be left trying to "catch up", never getting enough food.

Hi amandahwtt,

I've also been experiencing anxiety on days 2 and 3 (as well as generalized anxiety in the last few months, I'm a PhD candidate nearing a huge milestone review). I've cut my coffee intake and I'm trying to be compassionate with myself, for me this means lots of time to relax alone during this time of change.

I've read some research articles suggesting that women with mood instability may be particularly vulnerable to these sort of symptoms on a lower carb intake, so sweet potatoes and bananas are our friends!

Anecdotally, I've found it hard to get enough fat into my meals, and since fat is a great tounge-to-tummy-to-brain sastifier I figured this might be why my brain was in panic mode. I found it helpful to have a sweet potato with ghee and cinnamon, I felt much calmer after this snack.

thanks everyone!! ive felt much better today! I guess it didnt help my hormone/anxiety situation since I just came off my birth control as well.  I went to the drug store today and got some whole30 approved vitamins I read online that I was supposed to be taking since just coming off birth control.  I also ate larger meals and more carb dense foods!

Archived