5/2/16 Whole30 Group

tmhampton1

• Moderators

Bloating and gas can be directly attributed to eating those Larabars... they are for emergencies... if you know you're going to be away from food with enough advance notice to pack the bars, you can pack real food... hard boiled eggs, tinned fish, veggies, olives....

Put the bars away...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all! Day 17 and we're still truckin'! Well I.am doing great but hubby is really struggling, not so much with the food but with the affects hitting him over the past week. Not sure if it is related but I think it is, he is having near migraines every morning, by end of day they slowly return and had to lie down in a dark room to get then to quit. Seasonal allergies (ie. Cottonwood trees blooming, grasses, etc) are a problem for him this time of year and are contributing too. He is giving it until Monday to clear up after which time he says he is dropping the program. I am nicely trying to encourage him to see it through and give it time but it is starting to affect his vision and work. HELP!!! Any suggestions, ideas would be great. PS: we are staying with the program 100%, no cheats, I do all the cooking and I am having no issues.

Hi, everyone!  Hope you're going strong!  Day 17 done!  I last pretty long between meals without hunger.  I'm not a huge breakfast eater--my Whole30 flaw.  I don't eat eggs!  Before work, I drink 3 cups of coffee with splashes of coconut milk.  At my desk, around 9am, I'll get hungry and have an entire small avocado, raw pumpkin seeds-not a lot/closed handful or less, or an apple.  I'm not a noisy or smelly food eating coworker.  I don't eat tuna fish or sardines at my desk.  Ever. I recently discovered raw almonds are too difficult to process, so they're gone.   My job is sedentary, so I don't feel tired or weak unless I ride my bike to work.  My lunches and dinners follow the meal template. I am grateful my joints feel good.  I'm mindful of the food I eat!  I confess I bought a couple bags of pork rinds for the sheer sensation of a salty crunch without a grain or carbohydrate, but they smell gross, and I regret eating them because pigs are so horribly treated. I rarely eat beef because I really love cows.  I love chickens and fish, too, but what to do?  I worry legumes (tofu and beans) contributed to my joint pain. Legumes were a big part of my diet.  After reading about them, I understand why I never felt nourished and was frequently tired, bloated.  Best thing--I cook better dinners and no longer serve rice or pasta which my son didn't like anyway!  He enjoys meat. I can't believe I've been misguided most of my life.  huge realization!

Hi everybody! It's been forever! Can you believe we're on Day 25?!?!?! Great work, everyone!!

All is well here - I'm starting to get my energy back, which is fabulous. After doing some rereading of the book, I realised that I probably have not been eating enough carbs. I haven't been avoiding them, it's just that I don't always think to make recipes with potatoes and sweet potatoes. Over the next few days, I'll make sure I have some of those!

Recently I have been enjoying some new recipes found via the links sent in the emails - and Googling more. Loving protein salads in an avocado with extra greens and tomatoes on the side, shrimp and avocado salads on greens, etc. Everything is on greens these days - on spinach, on arugula, on "mache". So easy and so yummy!

I've been looking at the reintroduction coming up next week. Can anyone tell me when we can introduce sugar? I know it is often combined with other off-plan foods, but I'd like to see what sugar does. And I'd love to have one piece of dark chocolate. The problem is I don't know when to reintroduce it. I don't drink sugar with my coffee and I'm not a sugar person, but I'd like to see what it does when it is reintroduced. I've read that it is about energy fluctuations, but I'd like to test it.

Also, reading what I'm reading about the reintroduction, it looks like we may be in for a rough 2 weeks. Is that really something we want? Haven't we been through enough? :)

Finally, the only thing I feel like I've missed is energy on this Whole30. I haven't been able to be my normal athletic self. I realise now it's probably because I wasn't eating enough carbs (I did eat the pre and post-workout meals and that helped). But if I do this again, is there anything else I should keep in mind to keep my energy up enough to be able run 5Ks, etc.?

Thanks, everybody - and hoping you are all super well!

Feel the power!

Julie

• Moderators

Hi all! Day 17 and we're still truckin'! Well I.am doing great but hubby is really struggling, not so much with the food but with the affects hitting him over the past week. Not sure if it is related but I think it is, he is having near migraines every morning, by end of day they slowly return and had to lie down in a dark room to get then to quit. Seasonal allergies (ie. Cottonwood trees blooming, grasses, etc) are a problem for him this time of year and are contributing too. He is giving it until Monday to clear up after which time he says he is dropping the program. I am nicely trying to encourage him to see it through and give it time but it is starting to affect his vision and work. HELP!!! Any suggestions, ideas would be great. PS: we are staying with the program 100%, no cheats, I do all the cooking and I am having no issues.

I'd suggest going over to the Troubleshooting part of the forum and starting a new thread. List what he's been eating for a couple of days (include portion sizes as it relates to the meal template, and be specific about the types of vegetables). There may be something he's eating that he's reacting badly to, even though it's 100% compliant.

Shannon,

Thank you for your suggestions and I have done a lot of searching on it. Just to update, he ended up going in to his MD and sure enough the start of a sinus "infection" from his seasonal allergies (he want getting any drainage but all the pressure). The cool thing was though, that they put him on a 3 dose medication which boosted his immune system enough that he knocked that nastiness out of the park without it ever progressing to a full blown infection! My theory (based on all three readings, testimonials, etc) is that allergies hit, worsened due to early week two of the plan (immune system on overload), then with enough of a boost his healthier system had time and effort to fight that bug and get it out of there quick. BTW, he is sold on the plan now!!! So proud of him and all of us for sticking with it! Looks like we might be getting more family (and some of my patients) to jump on board too :-)

Almost there! I'm wondering about sugar too...though I think that its in things we introduce. Like ice cream. That's my husbands plan...have ice cream on day 31. I'm really proud of him for stickig it out.

Looking for to reintroduction but am nervous as well. Hoping we can go slow and control ourselves.

Hope everyone else has stuck in there!!

Day 28 for me today and also thinking about reintroduction.  I think I am going to follow the Fast Track reintro as outlined in the book.  Which would mean that dairy has to wait a few more days.  I do know I will be adding sweetener to my tea on day 31 - I have tried black tea numerous times and just don't like it.  Other than that, not sure what I will be adding back.  I just hope I can keep the sugar consumption low from now on - but I know it won't be zero.

I can't say that I have felt much different during the 28 days - I didn't have any of the problems that others have mentioned, but haven't felt the extra energy, etc either.  But just knowing I could resist sweets for 28 days is powerful.  I would love to hear what others my age have found, but there don't seem to be too many elderly people doing whole30.  

I will steer clear of my kryptonite, cheese, and avoid grains.  I may reintroduce tofu, but legumes will not return as a meal headliner again.  I WILL sweeten my coffee and stick with coconut milk as creamer.  I tasted a stevia product and thought it awful, so I'll use sugar.  I plan to maintain a compliant diet until I return to my ideal shape.  Backsliding is not an option.  I've come too far and slayed too many bad habits.  Whole30 is an excellent framework to form healthy habits and mindfulness.  Good luck to all. 

Day 30! We made it! Congratulations, everyone, for following through on your commitment to total health and food freedom! You did it!

My energy finally kicked in over the weekend - as I have made sure to have the occasional potato or sweet potato to help. I'd kept forgetting to eat them!

For the reintroduction, I've decided to test a little sugar tomorrow - in a piece of dark chocolate. I am not a sugar person; over the years I have moved almost 100% away from it. But tomorrow, I might like to have a piece of dark chocolate. Do you think I could also test a little peanut butter? We're talking small quantities, here as I'm not a big eater of either legumes or sugar. Then I'll be 2 days Whole30 compliant again. :) Then I'll follow the reintroduction fasttrack, as set out in the Whole 30 book.

I love how great I'm feeling, and how my body seems to have shed fat and cellulite - my legs look good again! I'm sleeping wonderfully, my skin is clear and soft, my energy is back up, and I'm not grumpy. Fabulous!

Good luck, everyone!

Feeling good; stomach, energy, sleep! But jealous of Wordsmith that you've noticed fat & cellulite disappear. I don't see any changes nor weight coming off. But I'm going to keep going.

I have had increased hot flashes all month though, what's that all about? I will probably have an occasional glass of wine or cocktail as my splurge. Maybe a bite of chocolate, but otherwise don't mind just sticking to the plan.

Archived