October 17th Start

allisonra

21 minutes ago, Tia123 said:

I think we were writing at the same time!  I'm also hoping to alleviate Hashimotos!!  

Hi Tia,  Hope this will help both of us.  When on paleo, a lot of the Hashimotos symptom's subsided.  I suspect that dairy, soy and grains (wheat, oats) cause problems with me.  Have you ever read "Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: Root Cause" by Izabella Wentz.  A worthwhile read for those with Hashi's.  She supports whole food programs and discovering what foods may be exacerbating your problems.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will be my first Whole30.   I cleaned up my eating about 5 years ago and managed to drop 25  pounds.  I felt better than I had in a long time.   But slowly bad eating habits crept back in and I gained back 35 pounds.    I am so tired of carrying the extra weight and not having energy.

I have been reading all of the Whole30 books for weeks and was shooting for a start date of tomorrow.   Now that it's "start-date-eve" I find myself panicking thinking that I am not well enough prepared.    I joined Real Plans last night but I am second quessing my meals and whether or not they are composed of all the right foods.    However....knowing that there is a group on here ready to start together tomorrow I am going to go for it.   I need the accountability and look forward to sharing the journey with all of you.    We can do this!!!!

Hello! 

I started the Whole30 today, and my husband is starting tomorrow. Tomorrow's meals are prepped and ready to go. I have some bad eating habits to break and eat junk when I feel stressed. I am hoping to break those tendencies. Here's to a successful first week, everybody!

Hi!

I am in for an Oct. 17th start! This will be my 3rd whole 30. I had a major job change last summer and I was able to keep up with my healthy lifestyle for awhile, but lately have gotten lazy and slipped back into old bad habits. The past few weeks I've felt just "meh" and want to get back to feeling awesome. I just finished Food Freedom Forever and thought "I want that".... So here I am!!

My goals for this round are not about weight loss (although a few lbs would be awesome) but more about getting my energy back and losing the unhealthy emotions I have tied to food. And learning to listen to my body instead of my brain, which is constantly saying "you do need chips and chocolate and wine tonight, you've had a rough day"! Shut up brain!!

So tonight I raise my cup of herbal tea and say cheers to a great (sometimes really challenging) next 30 days!!

Meghan

p.s. I'm right outside Philly, is anyone else in PA?

2 hours ago, Debbie425 said:

Hi Tia,  Hope this will help both of us.  When on paleo, a lot of the Hashimotos symptom's subsided.  I suspect that dairy, soy and grains (wheat, oats) cause problems with me.  Have you ever read "Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: Root Cause" by Izabella Wentz.  A worthwhile read for those with Hashi's.  She supports whole food programs and discovering what foods may be exacerbating your problems.

I think dairy is a big issue with me, too!  WE got this :)

22 minutes ago, MeghanE said:

Hi!

I am in for an Oct. 17th start! This will be my 3rd whole 30. I had a major job change last summer and I was able to keep up with my healthy lifestyle for awhile, but lately have gotten lazy and slipped back into old bad habits. The past few weeks I've felt just "meh" and want to get back to feeling awesome. I just finished Food Freedom Forever and thought "I want that".... So here I am!!

My goals for this round are not about weight loss (although a few lbs would be awesome) but more about getting my energy back and losing the unhealthy emotions I have tied to food. And learning to listen to my body instead of my brain, which is constantly saying "you do need chips and chocolate and wine tonight, you've had a rough day"! Shut up brain!!

So tonight I raise my cup of herbal tea and say cheers to a great (sometimes really challenging) next 30 days!!

Meghan

Ugh.  My brain does this too.  Or it says "welp, you ate that one thing, you might as well eat ALL THE THINGS!"

I'm starting tomorrow too! Spent the whole day prepping so I could stay compliant while while working AND going to school full time plus feeding the husband and 1-2 children at any given time. I'm glad to have this support, here's to an awesome 30 days!

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Debbie425 said:

Hello,

I'll be starting my Whole 30 tomorrow as well.  I'm recently retired (age mid-60s).  Have been on many programs and diets over the years.  I had lap band surgery in 2005.  I've gained most of the 50 lbs I lost due to band restriction (hard to eat foods such as protein due to density) and eating non-compliant foods too much instead (sugary treats and lattes go down well, but healthy foods--protein, veg, fruit not so well).  I may need to deviate slightly as I have a hard time eating breakfast due to the band (e.g., very small breakfast and a snack mid morning). I've also signed up for the daily emails and the "Real Plan" Whole 30 meal planner.  I'm hoping this will help my Hashimoto's thyroiditis and associated symptoms, joint pain, fatigue, brain fog and, of course, hope to lose some weight as well.

Will do shopping for 1/2 a week and see how much I use before shopping for the rest of the week.  Don't know if my spouse and daughter will eat the Whole 30 plan.

Debbie -- the three meals, no snacking recommendation doesn't apply for people who cannot physically eat that much at once. Depending on how much you can eat at a meal, you may even need to break each meal into smaller meals. That's fine. Try to make each meal consist or protein, fat, and vegetables, just adjust the size to what is comfortable for you.

Hi all - I'm starting on the 18th but in Australia, so with the time difference, I should only be a few hours behind. The FB group is a great idea - this is my first Whole30 and I so want to make the most of it!

Reading and food shopping tonight to prepare! 

Good morning!

I weighed and measured myself this morning and gave the scale to my son to hide for me. Now I'm making a big breakfast: shredded potatoes cooked in bacon fat, 1 egg easy over, and a side of kimchi. I ran out of coconut milk, so I'm skipping the coffee this morning.

How is your morning going?

Hello October 17th starters!  I am also beginning today.  I am looking forward to connecting with you all throughout the next 30 days and beyond.  Happy first day.  I find getting started to be the hardest.  All the best today everyone!

41 minutes ago, solar915 said:

1 egg easy over

You're very low on protein there @solar915 - when eggs are your only source of protein in a meal a serving would be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most females. You might want to ramp it up a bit tomorrow, and have some sort of a protein/fat based snack today to get you through until lunch... :)

Hi Everyone!

I am also starting today!  This will be my third round since January and I can't wait to feel fabulous again!  Since doing my first one I have felt good for the most part because I've continued eating Whole 30ish the whole time.  My friends think I'm nuts for giving up so many things for 30 days with so many events going on, but there is always something going on!  There really isn't a perfect time to do a Whole 30, but finishing about a week before Thanksgiving sounds good to me.  Since I've been eating Whole 30ish my cabinets and fridge have already been pretty well stocked, but I am making a trip to the grocery store tonight for a few staples.  I roasted a delicious chicken last night, Whole 30 compliant, that I plan on using to start a fabulous broth in the crockpot tonight.  After completing 2 successful Whole 30's I can say that preparation is key...so good job to those of you prepping advance meals!  I can't wait to share all the things we learn about ourselves on this 30 day journey!

13 hours ago, MeghanE said:

Hi!

Meghan

This is also my 3rd round Meghan, and mostly for the same reason as you...to feel awesome again!  I try to talk my friends into doing this along with me, because they just don't understand how good it makes you feel!  So while you were raising your cup of tea last night, I raised my wine one more time before it's 30 day hiatus!  Here's to day 1!

I started yesterday, but it doesn't look like many start on a Sunday, so I thought I would jump in to this group. I was trying to get one more day in before Thanksgiving to allow time for reintroduction before then. Anyway, so far so good. The biggest challenge so far is that I just got an email that the staff is serving us a special breakfast for Boss's Day in about 40 minutes. I will let them know about my journey and hope there is fresh fruit.

Hello everyone!

Is it too late to join y'all?  I'm starting today, the day after my 39th birthday.  I completed a successful W30 in March 2014, stayed Paleo for about a year and a half.  I felt so amazing.  Then my family and I made two cross country moves, dealt with health issues, loss, and grieving.  Quite the ride.  I've gained about 20 pounds and am noticing a lot of minor health issues creeping up... Aches and pains, digestive trouble, headaches, acid reflux.  Not cool.  I'm taking my health back!

Durning this journey I've also allowed stress to run my life.  (I am a hospital supervisor, mother of two littles, and currently going through lots of family stuff with my parents.) I am working on putting that in order with cutting back hours, playing more, meditating and exercise.  I've got this!  I'm excited for myself and all of you!  

Today is the day y'all!  

Michelle

Hello everyone

I will also be starting today and would love to join your grp for accountability.  I've  attempted previously to complete a whole 30 something has come up and I end up not completing. I've planned out this month better ...  

Hi allisonra! I'm starting my first Whole30 today as well. About 4 years ago, I lost 87 pounds but have gained 50 pounds back in the last 2 years. I'm hoping Whole30 will give me a jump-start on my way back to healthy living. My partner is skeptical of the plan but supportive. (Although he is NOT joining me.) I do all of the cooking, so he's going to be eating compliant dinners, although I have agreed to make him rice or pasta from time to time. 

Over the weekend, I prepped my breakfasts and lunches (which I've been doing for years now) and made shredded chicken and chicken broth for the week.  I ordered most of my approved pantry items from Thrive Market (lots cheaper that way) and found Pederson's compliant bacon at Whole Foods!

I also bought the Meal Planning from Real Plans. I highly recommend it for newbies! I've been using a similar online meal planning service for a while now and I like the structure it gives me.

I'd be interested in a Facebook group if that happens.

Good luck, everyone!

I'm Starting the Whole30 today as well (Oct 17th).  I tried WW around 8 years ago and lost over 50 lbs.  I've gained a big chunk of that back and just want to find a lifestyle that is maintainable and can make my family a lot healthier!

Hi everyone! My husband and I started today as well. He has rheumatoid arthritis so we are hoping that this might help us identify some triggers. I'm looking forward to this challenge but I'm definitely nervous! I sent a request to join the Facebook group as well.

Good luck everyone!

Good morning! Today is my fiance's and my first day of the whole 30. We are not only getting married and trying to get in shape for our wedding, but trying to change the way we think about food - not only individually, but as a couple. We both LOVE ice cream  (who doesn't?!), and fine dining, so are trying to find the right balance. I'm 27 and he's 30 and we're excited to be on this journey with all of you. Looking forward to the next 30 days!

Aly

Archived