Holy moly headache.

So.  I started the whole30 1 week ago.  

I messed up and realized over the weekend that this one spice mix I used for the chicken had sulfites in it.  So technically failed, and started my second whole30 today.

But.  Oh my god the headache. And the worse it gets, the more I want to eat ice cream.  (Not an option though thank goodness or I would have fallen down that rabbit hole) 

I am well hydrated.  I don't get it.

Meal 1: 2 eggs scrambled with coconut milk, and 1 orange.

Workout. No pre or post workout snack - Been running late for everything all day.

Meal 2 - 1 sweet potato, 1 whole red potatoes, 1 left over roasted chicken breast and lemon. 1 avocado (I was HUNGRY)

Snack - Banana

Meal 3: Broccoli, butternut Squash, Roasted beef 

It could be any number of things. Are you salting your food? Drinking adequate water (1/2 oz per pound of body weight)? Are you eating more of something you hadn't before. 

Your breakfast is small. A serving of eggs is as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping it. I can hold five. I don't like eggs THAT much so I usually eat something different, like left over tacos or burgers. You also don't have any veggies and may be a little light on the fats. With an orange at breakfast and a banana at snack (which, if you're hungry, not just bored or habit, should be a mini meal with protein, fat, and veggies... or a combo of the two with protein fat being most optimal), it could also be sugar spiking and dropping. Speaking from experience, eating enough, drinking enough, and salting foods will help with headaches.  It may also be that you're body is getting accustomed to w30 and that is why you've got a headache. 

It's hard to tell from just the one day's worth of food but as karen has said headaches, more often that not, are due to a lack of water, lack of fat, lack of salt, or lack of food in general.

You say you've got the water covered, so I'd look at adding both salt & fat to each of your meals - looking at today's meals I'm guessing your headache is a combination of all of the above.

Let us know how you get on.

Good call!

Meal 1: Frittata, with half avocado (=3 eggs) - Tomatoes and onion (7am)

Snack: (SMALL serving of fruit and veg plate at a social meeting) (10am)  Coffee and Coconut Cream

Snack: 1pm LARA bar - I hadn't managed my time right and was super later getting home for lunch

Meal 2: Leftover Beef. Avocado, Grapes, boiled Egg, Blueberries

Meal 3: Salad (Spinach, cucumber, radish, tomato, half avocado, roasted pumpkin seeds, balsamic dressing) with hamburger as meat cut into cubes.  

No headache like I did, I included salt today, though fell low on the water intake due to poor planning. 

BUT

ALL DAY I have had a Serious SERIOUS candy craving.  I want to be knee deep in chocolate and donuts.  AHHH Whats with that?!

Just now, MilitaryWorkingMomm said:

Good call!

Meal 1: Frittata, with half avocado (=3 eggs) - Tomatoes and onion (7am)

Snack: (SMALL serving of fruit and veg plate at a social meeting) (10am)  Coffee and Coconut Cream

Snack: 1pm LARA bar - I hadn't managed my time right and was super later getting home for lunch

Meal 2: Leftover Beef. Avocado, Grapes, boiled Egg, Blueberries

Meal 3: Salad (Spinach, cucumber, radish, tomato, half avocado, roasted pumpkin seeds, balsamic dressing) with hamburger as meat cut into cubes.  

No headache like I did, I included salt today, though fell low on the water intake due to poor planning. 

BUT

ALL DAY I have had a Serious SERIOUS candy craving.  I want to be knee deep in chocolate and donuts.  AHHH Whats with that?!

20 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Let us know how you get on.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, MilitaryWorkingMomm said:

All day? Or after the Larabar? Because they definitely cause me to crave more sweets. Just a thought.

When you start to crave sweets, eat a fat like olives or veggies in mayo. It'll help tame them. Also maybe have a different emergency snack ready for that oh crap my schedule is off and I'm going to die!!! moments. My grocery store has little cups of olives ready to go and you can easily find pouches or pull tab cans of fish. Keep something like that stashed in your bag or at your desk so when you do have an emergency it's real food and not an amalgamation of compliant foods in a bar form. This will also help with keeping the sugar dragon at bay. 

On October 19, 2016 at 1:02 AM, ShannonM816 said:

All day? Or after the Larabar? Because they definitely cause me to crave more sweets. Just a thought.

Yes it was all day.   And with a infant crying and a toddler screaming not adjusting well to daddy being deployed... I wanted to crawl into a hole - a deep hole with candy everywhere.  Which I didn't.   In fact, I actually high fived myself, when I totally had the option to pull into starbucks, and instead I went to the grocery store to get some water, and better choices in food.   I wanted that latte and pastry though.

But it was worth it.  I have adjusted.  I am being more mindful about upping my salt, fat and carbs.  I am not as hungry as I was and the headaches are gone.  The lara bars don't really do it for me.  I have never liked dates.  So for me it was more of a "need to eat, quick down this" sort of thing.

Thank you for the advice everyone!  I cannot believe I am doing this, and managing to stay on track.  My clothes are feeling different.  And today, I had energy.  Which was a new feeling for me since getting pregnant last September! 

6 minutes ago, MilitaryWorkingMomm said:

Quick update....

I naturally got up, before the kids.  And got everything done!!!!   If this is my new normal, then this is awesome!

I've noticed when I eat whole30 or at least close to it, I wake up with my husband and have no desire to go back to sleep. It's great!!

@Karen_Suep I love Trader Joe's! Though the meat is expensive.  At least, the one in my local area is.  

I think what I am noticing at the moment is the meat price increase on my food bill.   When I was pregnant I was a vegetarian.  Not by choice.  But I think my son might be a secret hippy!  So, as the family eat what I do,  the meat just stopped coming into the house.  I love it though.  And now feel totally ok to eat it.  

We also did a lot of pasta. Which was a cheaper way to fill up the plate.  And I don't miss it at all!   I do however miss bread at the moment. 

So I have a question.  I have not had coffee for the past week.  I didn't feel the "need" for it.  No "tiger blood" as it's labeled.  But I am feeling "normal".  I wake before the kids naturally.  I don't have that NEED to nap when the kids do. And I can totally focus when I am working for quite a while now without the need for "coffee breaks".  

Today I had a black coffee at starbucks and the headache that came after that was a killer.  Is this normal in the Whole30? I used to drink it ALL THE TIME!

8 hours ago, MilitaryWorkingMomm said:

Today I had a black coffee at starbucks and the headache that came after that was a killer.  Is this normal in the Whole30?

Yep, some people find that once all the inflammatory foods are gone that they are much more sensitive to caffeine....

Archived