Starting 5/14

ChristinaL

1 hour ago, ErikaA said:

I made an egg bake on Sunday filled with sweet potatoes, peppers, asparagus and sausage - I will be eating this for breakfast all week, alongside a small serving of fruit.  For lunch and dinner I will be having leftovers from the chili I made last night, topped with the Dreamy Avocado Dressing from ISWF.  

Your foods sound yummy! Yum chili! How do you make your chili? 

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, CaLorraine said:

My left over lunch is the same as yours :) go us! Sounds yummy!

meal 1 for me was leftover spinach frittata with some strawberries and avocado. 

Meal 2 is leftover spaghetti squash and meat marinara 

meal 3 is seared chicken breasts with roasted potatoes and cabbage slaw. 

Im feeling pretty good so far. My appetite is weird though, I get hungry, make my meal and then I'm not so hungry anymore. So I'm not eating in the amounts I usually would. Not sure if that's normal or not. But I'm not forcing myself to eat more than I feel like I can like I used to. 

Ha:) Looks like you're going pretty much by the 7 day menu plan in the book.  I wish I could just eat the squash and marinara the rest of the time, it was SO good, but it probably won't last another day:(  Think I'll make the chicken/taters and slaw tonight.

I'm feeling pretty good too.  My big no-no's before were chips/popcorn and diet coke, so I'm not really craving the sugar (which I think would be really hard).  Guess the key is really to be prepared so we don't slip up.

Hey guys - so day 2 is going ok. But I am hungry right now -  however I have a meeting in 15 minutes that will take me to 11:30 and so I am just drinking some water to get me through.

Yesterday I was a little off as i started the day with the stomach flu. I didn't eat until one and my stomach was a bit off still so I just had a few eggs made with ghee and a banana. We did roasted veggies, steak and roasted potatoes last night - yum! I was hungry later, so had a few pistachios and cucumbers -  I figured it was just because I hadn't really ate much until the afternoon.

Today I had eggs again with a banana. I have a protein salad at lunch today and tonight we are having port tacos (on a lettuce wrap instead of a taco shell) - really worried I am going to miss my cheese and tortilla tonight!

The one area I feel like i am going to struggle in is breakfast - i love eggs, but i dislike having them with veggies in them - so need to figure that one out. 

Have a great Tuesday!

42 minutes ago, Allison Stofer said:

Ha:) Looks like you're going pretty much by the 7 day menu plan in the book.  I wish I could just eat the squash and marinara the rest of the time, it was SO good, but it probably won't last another day:(  Think I'll make the chicken/taters and slaw tonight.

I'm feeling pretty good too.  My big no-no's before were chips/popcorn and diet coke, so I'm not really craving the sugar (which I think would be really hard).  Guess the key is really to be prepared so we don't slip up.

Yeah I'm following the 7 day plan to an extent. My end of the week is different because I work 3 12 hour shifts so I decided to make the prep easier on myself while I get used to the new way of things. 

Yeah I think preparation is definitely one of the deciding factors on how well we do. 

4 minutes ago, ChristinaL said:

Hey guys - so day 2 is going ok. But I am hungry right now -  however I have a meeting in 15 minutes that will take me to 11:30 and so I am just drinking some water to get me through.

Yesterday I was a little off as i started the day with the stomach flu. I didn't eat until one and my stomach was a bit off still so I just had a few eggs made with ghee and a banana. We did roasted veggies, steak and roasted potatoes last night - yum! I was hungry later, so had a few pistachios and cucumbers -  I figured it was just because I hadn't really ate much until the afternoon.

Today I had eggs again with a banana. I have a protein salad at lunch today and tonight we are having port tacos (on a lettuce wrap instead of a taco shell) - really worried I am going to miss my cheese and tortilla tonight!

The one area I feel like i am going to struggle in is breakfast - i love eggs, but i dislike having them with veggies in them - so need to figure that one out. 

Have a great Tuesday!

You could try some sort of veggie on the side? Or maybe do a breakfast hash with sweet potatoes or something? 

1 minute ago, CaLorraine said:

You could try some sort of veggie on the side? Or maybe do a breakfast hash with sweet potatoes or something? 

I did find a recipe for a breakfast hash with sweet potatoes - i started to tell myself i don't really like sweet potatoes and then remembered it has been years since I have tried them, so going to give it a go and see if I like them:) I am hoping to make that tonight - last night with being sick it just wasn't my night to meal prep greatly - the fact that I got the lunches prepped and dinner for tonight done was a win:)

Also - anyone know if pickles are compliant? Strangely enough that is my current craving:)

I am super thirsty today.  Feeling strong but have had a random eating pattern this morning.  I made breakfast for my family and had 2 pieces of bacon with coffee early then went for a run.  Came back and had a 2 egg breakfast with bacon and kale around 10:30.  For lunch I have a ton of veggies: broccoli, kale, sweet potato and tomato with some grilled pork.  Tonight for dinner I am making a roast chicken with herbs and more veggies - maybe a root veggie mix.  

Last night instead of breaking down and eating something sweet my family took the dog for a walk.  Although it was really buggy, it was way better than breaking down on the first day.  I had some tea and went to bed.  

Thanks so much to this support group.  I think you will all make the difference in my success this go around.  Feel motivated by you and love the recipes coming out of the forum already!  (I am a terrible cook.)

52 minutes ago, ChristinaL said:

I did find a recipe for a breakfast hash with sweet potatoes - i started to tell myself i don't really like sweet potatoes and then remembered it has been years since I have tried them, so going to give it a go and see if I like them:) I am hoping to make that tonight - last night with being sick it just wasn't my night to meal prep greatly - the fact that I got the lunches prepped and dinner for tonight done was a win:)

Also - anyone know if pickles are compliant? Strangely enough that is my current craving:)

I am the same way with sweet potatoes. I am starting to like them - onou if they aren't mushy. 

Yes - pickles are compliant!

Day two is going alright. Had grapes and a hard boiled egg for lunch. Then had to run all over and got hungry during my grocery shopping - but I kept it in check and stayed on my grocery list. I ended up having some cashews to hold the hunger off. 

My grocery cart was much different today than it had been in the past. I was proud of what I bought. 

Good luck today everyone! 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, KelliW said:

Pickles are compliant as long as the ingredients on the jar are compliant... as with everything, you (universal you) need to read the label... 

3 hours ago, CaLorraine said:

Your foods sound yummy! Yum chili! How do you make your chili? 

I didn't really measure for quantities, but I included red onion, red pepper, green peppers, ground chicken, canned tomatoes (W30 compliant), canned green chilis (W30 compliant), vegetable broth (I looked for chicken broth but was unable to find any that was W30 compliant) and cubed sweet potato, then added lots of spices including onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, pepper.  It was very tasty!

Spinach fritta for breakfast with avocado and blueberries.  I also had coffee with almond milk.  Leftover protein salad on a bed of lettuce for lunch.  Pilates at noon and I'm really tired.  Know I use sugar too often as a pick me up. No headache yet so for that I am thankful.  Dinner is coconut curry chicken with leftover green beans and another vegetable .... Don't know yet what.

5 hours ago, KelliW said:

I am the same way with sweet potatoes. I am starting to like them - onou if they aren't mushy. 

Day two is going alright. Had grapes and a hard boiled egg for lunch. Then had to run all over and got hungry during my grocery shopping - but I kept it in check and stayed on my grocery list. I ended up having some cashews to hold the hunger off. 

My grocery cart was much different today than it had been in the past. I was proud of what I bought. 

Good luck today everyone! 

Proud of you too!  I bought cute canvas bags for my produce that say 'aren't you raddishing!'

for your lunch you probably got hungry because you didn't eat much! Make sure you have fat and veggies too to round out the meal and the fat keeps you satisfied longer.  I know it feels weird to eat it, but it's worth it.  

My breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 chicken spinach sausage, fistful of spinach, 1/2 avocado, 2 mushrooms diced topped with salsa

Had some grapes with my daughter before lunch which was 1/2 chicken breast and 1/2 large baked potato, huge pile of broccoli and the other 1/2 avocado. 

I wouldnt worry about eating too much   Worry about eating not enough   Make sure you have veggies, protein and fat at every meal. 

Afterall  almost 75% of your choices are going to be lower calorie than you are used to.

keep it up!

#day30

I highly recommend the grilled coconut chicken curry.  Had it tonight for dinner and husband even liked it.  Had leftover green beans and being I was running short on time I put the Green Giant Riced cauliflower in the microwave - 6 minutes and followed the recipe on the bag for lemon pepper riced cauliflower.  I was really tired earlier in the day but seem to have caught my second wind.  Right now I'm pretty satisfied and hoping to get beyond that bedtime snack hurdle.  I'll make some decaf tea and go to bed early if need be.  Lots of leftovers in the refrigerator so tomorrow should be a little easier with the meal preparation.  

I made it through to dinner but now I'm starved! My lunch was the spaghetti squash and meat sauce. Do you guys think I didn't get enough to eat? I don't think there was much fat in it either. :/ 

meal 3 will be great! Seared chicken, roasted potatoes and the lemon oil cabbage slaw :) can't wait to dig in!

• Administrators
Just now, CaLorraine said:

Is it normal for my appetite to shrink at the beginning of this? I woke up and was hungry within half an hour, I made meal 1, sat down to eat and could only eat a quarter of it before I just felt stuffed. Normal? 

Yep, this is fairly common and is a result of hormonal rebalancing. Don't fall into the trap of not eating because that just perpetuates lack of appetite. Make your template meal and eat from each part of it as much as you can. Wrap it up and take it with you to eat from again as soon as you feel able, not waiting until the next meal. Make things that are more palatable to you, and still fit the template. When I have lack of appetite I tend to like things that are more comforty like chicken salad with apples and homemade mayo or egg salad stuffed into sweet peppers or hamburger soup. This doesn't last forever, just keep pushing through. And don't forget to drink water, dehydration can mess with your signals too. :) 

29 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Yep, this is fairly common and is a result of hormonal rebalancing. Don't fall into the trap of not eating because that just perpetuates lack of appetite. Make your template meal and eat from each part of it as much as you can. Wrap it up and take it with you to eat from again as soon as you feel able, not waiting until the next meal. Make things that are more palatable to you, and still fit the template. When I have lack of appetite I tend to like things that are more comforty like chicken salad with apples and homemade mayo or egg salad stuffed into sweet peppers or hamburger soup. This doesn't last forever, just keep pushing through. And don't forget to drink water, dehydration can mess with your signals too. :) 

Thank you!  I was wondering the same question.  My stomach is not liking me today. I made scrambled eggs and couldn't make it through them.  Now I feel like there is a lump of coal sitting in the pit of my stomach.  I'm sure it's the dietary changes, but it's hard.   I'm drinking a lot of water today to help.  I'm also feeling very warm.  Is this weird?  I'm usually the cold one of the bunch.

• Administrators
Just now, KelliW said:

Thank you!  I was wondering the same question.  My stomach is not liking me today. I made scrambled eggs and couldn't make it through them.  Now I feel like there is a lump of coal sitting in the pit of my stomach.  I'm sure it's the dietary changes, but it's hard.   I'm drinking a lot of water today to help.  I'm also feeling very warm.  Is this weird?  I'm usually the cold one of the bunch.

That body heat change is hormonal too, it'll level out over time. :) What did you have with your eggs, @KelliW? Sometimes just protein without other things to go with it can be hard on a person's stomach, especially first thing in the morning. Did you have 2-3 cups of veggies and some fats?

• Administrators
Just now, CaLorraine said:

Another question, what should the spacing of our meals be panning out to be? What's the typical amount? If I'm not making as long as needed then I'm not getting enough of fat or protein? 

The recommended spacing is to be able to comfortably go 4-5 hours between meals. As you progress you may notice that you can extend the time. My personal timing: M1 @ 530am, M2 @ noon, M3 @ 530pm. So I'm going 6.5 hours between first and second and 5.5 hours between second and third. I am definitely hungry when it's noon but I'm not chewing my arm off or barking at my assistant. It's the fat adaptation that gets you there. Where your body can use stored fat as fuel.

If you are not making it as long as 4-5 hours, it could be a variety of things. You can think of it as protein being the energy, fat slows that absorption and veggies provide the bulk.  Make sure that you're getting at least the minimum of each macro (protein, fat and veg) and then start bumping them each up slightly as you go until you can make it 4-5 hours.

If you want help composing your meals, open a thread in the Troubleshooting section and we can take a look at what you've been doing and how you can tweak. Make sure to list portion sizes as they relate to the template, meal timing, activity, stress, fluids etc. It all helps.

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, KelliW said:

@ladyshanny  I ate only eggs with some basil in them.  Coffee with almond milk also.  I will make sure to eat plenty of fruit tomorrow !

Erg. Sorry, this is not a good route to take. :( Fruit is fine but it's recommended to be limited to 1-2 fist-sized servings per day at most and only after you've had a proper template meal involving protein, veggies and fat. Basically you're meant not to let fruit push veggies out of the way.

Anecdotally people report having earlier hunger, false hunger, cravings, mood swings, late day/evening hunger & cravings and even disrupted sleep when they focus on fruits in the morning. You can do it, but it won't get you your best results. 

41 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Erg. Sorry, this is not a good route to take. :( Fruit is fine but it's recommended to be limited to 1-2 fist-sized servings per day at most and only after you've had a proper template meal involving protein, veggies and fat. Basically you're meant not to let fruit push veggies out of the way.

Anecdotally people report having earlier hunger, false hunger, cravings, mood swings, late day/evening hunger & cravings and even disrupted sleep when they focus on fruits in the morning. You can do it, but it won't get you your best results. 

Oooh - glad I mentioned this.  Will have to come up with a plan and look through the recipes since I don't have much time in the mornings and I'm sure I'll get tired of eggs. 

Thanks!

Archived