Daiya Cheese

Amb_Bomer

So, I'm on day 5 of round 2. I've done really well both times without cheese. I'm not super missing it even still, almost 3 months later. And in between round 1 and 2 I could count the number of times I had cheese. But I do have a question. Could Daiya dairy free cheese products be considered compliant? I was thinking some "cheddar" would be nice on my sweet potato nachos. I think technically they would be compliant but maybe not in the full spirit of Whole 30. 

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, Amb_Bomer said:

So, I'm on day 5 of round 2. I've done really well both times without cheese. I'm not super missing it even still, almost 3 months later. And in between round 1 and 2 I could count the number of times I had cheese. But I do have a question. Could Daiya dairy free cheese products be considered compliant? I was thinking some "cheddar" would be nice on my sweet potato nachos. I think technically they would be compliant but maybe not in the full spirit of Whole 30. 

Isn't daiya made from soy?  If so, it would be non compliant and you're right, not at all in the spirit of Whole30.  If you've reintroduced soy and have no issues with it, then it might be a fine addition to your personal food freedom.

Some people use Nutritional Yeast to get a "cheesy" sensation. (I haven't tried it, so I can't speak for it.)

I Googled "Daiya Cheese" and one entry I found listed these ingredients: Filtered water, tapioca and /or arrowroot flours, non-GMO expeller pressed canola and /or non-GMO expeller pressed safflower oil, coconut oil, pea protein, salt, inactive yeast, vegan natural flavors, vegetable glycerin, xanthan gum, citric acid (for flavor), annatto, titanium dioxide.

Stephanie

• Administrators

This ingredient list containing pea protein would not be Whole30 compliant.

Also, eating a bunch of starches glued together with yeast, food-gums and oils would not be in keeping with the spirit of Whole30. Leave this product behind for 30 days. :) 

I know I know! Give. Up. The. Cheese!! And all dairy in fact. But I made my piece wth ice cream and milk like 10 years ago. I just always allowed cheese because it tastes so yummy! Although I don't crave it like I did when I started my first W30 in May. NSV for me!!! 

Archived