Anyone from Montreal?

Any Montrealers here?

Would just love to compare notes on where to shop, best prices, etc...

I already get most of my stuff around here and occasionallly shop online (have things shipped to Massena) but have not really had a chance to price shop and now that I want to make this a permanent lifestyle, need to make sure I can make it as affordable as possible for a family of 5.

• 4 weeks later...

So far I have not been able to find Kerrygold here.

Coconut Aminos - I shop on line for these through Upaya Naturals. Shipping is free if you order over $100. I've partnered up with another whole30er in Montreal to put together orders. So it does help.

I have also partnered up with 2 other families and ordered a hind end of beef to split 3 ways. It worked out well.

• 4 weeks later...

@ Carlaccini, ya we won't get Kerrygold here because of the laws on butter in QC. :(  I get it at the Hannaford in Massena.

I got Coconut Aminos at Health Tree (in Pointe-Claire), $9.99.

As far as beef, I get a half every year so covered there.  I got grass fed pork from Viandes Rheintal.  Need to find a source for chicken!!!  It's the nuts and some other ingredients (like I couldn't find palm shortening here, had to get it from Hannafords, same with grass fed ghee).

If you know others, I'd love to get in on things if we can buy in bulk and save!!!

I need to do another W30 soon so would be great if we had a little Montreal group!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Evelyn and Carlaccini,

I'm from Longueuil and I would be please to join the group. My spouse and I have been on paleo diet for a year now. There is no way I would eat and live othewise now :) .

I found your post when searching the Internet trying to find grass-fed ghee in Montreal. I'm sure you'll agree that it is like trying to find gold in downtown Montréal :huh: .

Have a nice day

Andréanne

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nadia

I pick up a lot of my necessities at Les Ailements Tau.  They have several locations around Montreal.  They have some grassfed beef and pork (no offal I'm afraid) they generally have ghee or coconut oil mixed with ghee - I find it rather pricey so I tend just to use coconut oil.

If you are staying more downtown you might find some other things at the store Bioterre.  I would recomend the Atwater or Jean-Talon markets as well.  (depending on which one is closer to you)

Restaurants I can't really recomend - we have a tendency to stay in a lot.  I did have a lot of luck when we went out as a group to restaurant Mange-Boire in little Italy.  But you will have to check  the store hours as they are mainly open only 3 days out of the week (they do mainly catering)

I'm not too sure how you long plan to stay in Montreal, but if you want to look me up to explore one of the markets - please feel free.  I am however out of the area for the next couple of weeks. 

• 3 weeks later...

As far as beef, I get a half every year so covered there.  I got grass fed pork from Viandes Rheintal.  Need to find a source for chicken!!!  It's the nuts and some other ingredients (like I couldn't find palm shortening here, had to get it from Hannafords, same with grass fed ghee).

If you know others, I'd love to get in on things if we can buy in bulk and save!!!

I need to do another W30 soon so would be great if we had a little Montreal group!

Hi Evelyn, 

For organic nuts, dried fruits, shredded coconut and coconut flour, I always go to Yupik on rue du Marché Central. They sell in bulk, so you need to buy a minimum of 1 kilo, but their prices are good in general and they have a wide selection of products. Just steer clear of all the candies and chocolates... oh, and grains! 

As for palm shortening and grass fed ghee, I wouldn't be able to help you, as they are things that I too am still looking for, as well as Red Boat fish sauce! 

That thing is so hard to find, I'm just about ready to make my own! 

• 1 year later...

I realize that this is a post that is 2 years old, but I'm finding it somewhat of a bummer that it's a lot more trying for us Quebecers to get our hands on some of the goodies that are recommended for Whole30. I've just gotten done with my first round and realized I ended up sticking to a lot of the same foods the whole time. Regardless I think I still did well... but when looking online, it's easy to see that lots of the recommended products don't ship to Canada.

During my research I've found that Marché Tau (as recommended by Carlaccini) would be a great resource for ghee. I'm heading out there today to find some - there are many locations, which is fantastic. I'm going to try and get my hands on Prasad Ayurveda ghee. Has anyone tried it or have any particular brands to recommend? Here's a list of stores that carry this brand - might be a good list of sale points for other compliant products: http://www.prasadayurveda.com/gta-1/

Cheers!  :D

• Administrators

I realize that this is a post that is 2 years old, but I'm finding it somewhat of a bummer that it's a lot more trying for us Quebecers to get our hands on some of the goodies that are recommended for Whole30. 

I don't think that this trouble is exclusive to Quebec, most of the American vendors won't ship to Canada and if they do, it's often cost prohibitive.  Our friends in Europe, Australia and Britian/Ireland/Scotland all have similar issues.  The trick is to find the things that we CAN get in our locales rather than focussing on what we can't get.  

A Whole30 with just protein, veggies, fats and some fruits is really the crux of what you should be aiming for.  The bars, packs, meals etc that are "Whole30 Approved", are, in my opinion, completely unnecessary and the same can be accomplished with a little pre-planning.

Lady Shanny hit the nail on the head.  You can do a Whole 30 without any of the foods that come wrapped in neat lil packages. You can stick to the outside edges of any grocery store and find everything you need.  Dem bones for bone broth, vegetables, proteins and good dietary fats. 

Archived