All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Yesterday
  3. ThatBlondeGirl

Is sugar making me anxious?

Thanks for replying! The second time I had one of my normal breakfasts, a strawberry smoothie with protein powder and avocado added. I had a salad for lunch with chicken. These are pretty normal for me. I spoke with a friend who is a nurse practitioner who promotes Whole30 and supplements over meds. She thinks my body was confused and anxiety is how I react. She also mentioned 90% of our serotonin is created in our digestive tract. This could explain a lot!
  4. ladyshanny

Nespresso

Maybe it's different on the Canadian website for ingredients but the Nespresso Caramelizio pod ingredients are only "Roast and ground coffee".
  5. SchrodingersCat

Nespresso

The ones he mentioned actually have caramel flavour added in the pods
  6. MJ of Cayman

Starting March 6 for Lent

I’m in the “I’m so over this.” stage. Planning on weighing in on Easter morning. Will probably have some ham (sugar) with dinner, but I’m also thinking of sticking to it till the end of the month.
  7. MJ of Cayman

8. wwtechgirl

Starting April 22

I am also going to start on Monday. This will be my 2nd Whole30. I felt great on my first on in Oct 2018 but have gradually added back most of the junk I had been eating before. Ready for a fresh start before summer and I hope to take more time on my reintroduction this time and keep the junk out that I know makes me feel bad. Good luck to everyone. I started my meal planning today, so it is making me even more ready to start.
  9. Jihanna

Crock pot freezer meals

Potatoes need to be prepped a bit before they'll freeze well. https://pickyourown.org/freezing_potatoes.htm <- this article gives a good simple run-down on how to do it. There are other methods (like 5 minute soak in a bunch of water with a little lemon juice, then rinse and boil 5 minutes, then rinse/cool and freeze), but simple is quite often better in terms of trying to keep up with prep-work... especially if the potatoes are within a dish, rather than standing alone (I'll usually do the soak-rinse-boil method if I'm freezing them to make quick-cook potatoes for breakfast frying, for example, but I go with the simpler method if I'm freezing a bag of stew ingredients that will get tossed together in a crock). I only tried canned veggies in freezer meals a couple of times, but found that fresh or frozen veggies always fared better except in the case of things like diced/crushed tomatoes (the canned version of those never left me feeling that something was lacking). For anything requiring "added liquid", I always made a note on the bag to add it at cook time. That would be anything like "add 4 cups water" or broth, or even the coconut milk (or whatever). It not only helps prevent strange separation issues like @ladyshanny noted, but it also keeps the actual bags a little smaller so I'm able to fit more in my freezer space. I tend to keep that kind of stuff on hand all the time, too, so it's very unlikely that I'd be out of it when cook time arrived (so I don't usually put stickies on those things). I could add other notes for things like beans, rice, noodles..... but those shouldn't be in there right now, anyway, so I'll skip it!
  10. kirbz

Am I doing this wrong?

My experience sounds very similar to yours! I, too, am a complete sugar addict. When not being mindful, I eat sugar by the family-sized bag, tub, etc. I've now done a complete Whole30 twice and have done a few other attempts and mini-resets of varying lengths. I never experienced pretty much anything from the timeline. I didn't experience any of the adverse stuff like the carb flu or hangover or kill-all-the-things. Likewise, I never really felt like I got tiger blood or any of the other really positive things. However, after doing a Whole30 and going back to poor eating habits, I started to really notice the stuff I did get. Because, once I lost it again, I recognized it for what it was. So, for me, the changes are subtle but kinda significant once I lost them again. Here are a few of them that I experienced: Less pain in my joints (sometimes my knees or elbows ache when I hike or climb a lot; this happens less when on Whole30 but sometimes I don't recognize that because it was never really severe pain in the first place and never stopped me from doing those things) Less of a morning and 3:00 pm slump (I never really got that increased energy that people talk about, but I did feel less tired if that makes sense; I started to lose the super sleepy slumps I would sometimes get driving into work and a few hours after lunch) Clearer skin (I generally have pretty clear skin but it's much more "glowy" when on Whole30 than when I'm not) My resting heart rate decreases My heart rate doesn't go as high when doing exercise So yeah, they weren't super dramatic for me, but they were significant and do actually affect my quality of life. A whole lot of subtle things add up to me truly just feeling better when I eat cleanly. But it was always hard for me to see during the transition. So, maybe this is you. And hopefully this will help you dig a little deeper and perhaps recognize some things that might not be so obvious but are still important to you... Best wishes!
  11. ladyshanny

Starting April 1

Aw, so sorry you're struggling. You can be your ideal self just as you are, first of all, our exterior doesn't dictate the actual person we are. But I do get it, when we have changed dramatically in an undesired direction, it can be deflating to know that we have a distance to go. Lots of people in the same boat so please don't feel alone. It might help to change your mindset a bit. Whatever happened in the last amount of time that caused this change, you made it out alive. You're here and you survived life and now you're back in a position to move in a desired direction. No one ever stays in one place - humans aren't static. You've got this - you do have goals and plans and you can stay the course, even though it feels upsetting right now. Sending positive thoughts to you!
  12. ladyshanny

Am I doing this wrong?

You're not necessarily doing anything wrong because you don't have side effects and Tiger Blood is such a misnomer for so many people. Maybe list out a couple typical days of eating including portions and timing etc. We can see if anything stands out.
  13. ladyshanny

Is sugar making me anxious?

It definitely could be! The first instance you describe made me wonder if the anxiety was a result of incomplete eating the entire day but you don't mention how much you ate the second time. I would try sugar again if you want but make sure it's on a day that you have had three full template meals and then see how you do.
  14. ladyshanny

General YEAST.. heck... all yeasts

This comment is from Melissa: We say nutritional yeast is okay for the Whole30, and I doubt that yeast extract is going to present a problem for 99.99% of folks doing the program. But for now, we'll encourage you to look for foods and products without these added ingredients.
  15. kirbz

Hiking breakfasts

Yes, both dried eggs and potatoes are easy options and relatively cheap! Bob's Red Mill has compliant potato flakes: https://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Potatoes-16-ounce/dp/B01M68VR02/ref=sr_1_4?hvadid=224115907582&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9032509&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t3&hvqmt=e&hvrand=634633683376612797&hvtargid=aud-649564993678%3Akwd-323747846052&keywords=bob+red+mill+potato+flakes&qid=1555687776&s=gateway&sr=8-4. And there are a number of compliant egg options if you just search for "whole dried eggs."
  16. EmarieB

Hiking breakfasts

Never thought of freeze dried eggs! Thanks!
  17. pearlgirl2017

I plan on continuing the "no coffee" until Easter morning. The rest.........
  18. Not BFF but FFF food freedom forever.
  19. Come along for the Lent whole 30 reintroduction starting this Easter 2019. I am determined to have a very pure reintroduction to learn what my body can really handle to strive towards BFF! I am not reintroducing alcohol this time to keep my Sugar Dragon calm.
  20. ALM Grandma

I only fast from noon to 4. Otherwise no meat otherwise whole 30. I'm reintroduction Easter day. I will go ahead and start reintroduction group today instead of tomorrow so enter as your ready.
  21. RichardB6

Gaining weight rapidly!

same i have also gaining too much weight
  22. Louisiana, of course! Your new flats with the zebra-print detail sound gorgeous, nothing like a new pair of shoes. I got a new pair of (used) shoes at the thrift store next to our work place, and I'm stoked, they're Merrills, and I wore them for the second half of the day - very comfy. I'm on my feet all day, so I'm glad to have a new pair that will be good for that. My Costco has organic blueberries, and a nice big 18 oz package! Our sausage artist came in today with some more, frozen, and he confirmed the exact same ingredients you mentioned, sans the cream. Yummm. He uses a Kitchen Aid with a grinder as you described you had used before your dedicated grinder. He said he'll also bring me some of his breakfast sausage. He's an adorable, sympathetic character. Ha ha, my husband just asked me to tell you he said hi. This is very unusual = ) Hope you enjoyed the Greek food after your super long day! I'm beat from today, too, but I know that a good night of sleep will refresh me. I need to understand what my compost needs...I have flies, more and more all the time. I added boiling water, thinking it wasn't wet enough, but today was an all time fly-mess...and I was too tired to do anything about it. Any suggestions? As hot as it is getting, our house stays nice and cool - a big relief!
  23. Doctor's orders always trump whole30 rules -- you were prescribed that medication by a doctor, therefore you didn't break any rules taking it.
  24. justalittledash

Lent is done with the start of the Triduum! Is anyone fasting tomorrow or starting reintroduction, or waiting until Saturday or Sunday?
  25. Last week
  26. kirbz

Hiking breakfasts

Hmmm... that sounds like a difficult one! Some other portable, easy options might be: Tuna/chicken/salmon packets Meat sticks (like Chomps) Coconut butter packets Olive packets Dried fruit You could make your own kale chips or something if you want vegetables If you do have access to boiling water, there are a number of freeze-dried backpacking meals you could take. Unfortunately, they are expensive. Elements Broccoli Cinnamon Pork (https://www.getyourelements.com/shop/broccoli-cinnamon-pork/) Elements Dill Chicken Avocado (https://www.getyourelements.com/shop/dill-chicken-avocado/) Elements Coconut Mango Chicken (https://www.getyourelements.com/shop/coconut-mango-chicken/) Wild Zora Paleo Meals to Go Mountain Beef Stew (https://wildzora.com/collections/all/products/new-mountain-beef-stew) Wild Zora Paleo Meals to Go Caldera Chicken Curry (https://wildzora.com/collections/all/products/new-caldera-chicken-curry) Wild Zora Paleo Meals to Summit Savory Chicken (https://wildzora.com/collections/all/products/new-summit-savory-chicken) Heather's Choice Dark Chocolate Chili (https://www.heatherschoice.com/collections/entrees/products/chocolate-chili-1) Also, with access to hot water, you could do something like freeze-dried eggs and potatoes, which would be cheaper. I know I've seen compliant options for both eggs and potatoes. You could even take some ghee to add some fat and freshness to those potatoes (ghee does not need to be refrigerated (at least not the ghee that I buy))!
  27. Hello, as the title indicates, I THOUGHT I was on Day 24. I was SO proud of myself for not cheating and for sticking with it. Then it came to my attention that my medication that i have been taking four times a day has sugar in it. What?!?!?! Back story: I was having digestive issues for a few months, was prescribed questran (4 times per day), and was taking religiously as it was the only thing that was helping. My colleague suggested I try The Whole30 thinking my issues might be diet related. I did some research and decided this was for me! I found it odd that i was not experiencing the symptoms as outlined in the what to expect calendar (no sugar cravings etc). Then my son questioned whether or not the medication had sweetener... Yes, it does. It contains sucrose. I am frustrated and unsure what to do at this point. I was doing SO well, really sticking with the program. I have a biochemistry background and understand the science behind the program and why if you cheat, you need to begin over. At this point, have I even been on the program? Does anything I've done even count? I would say I need to start over, but I will be on this medication for an indefinite amount of time. Does this mean I just need to find a different program as this one may not be for me? I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!!
  28. SchrodingersCat

SchrodingersCat doing the thing diary!

Lunch was tuna salad and celery. Dinner was braised beef ribs with steamed vegetables Momma is here so there is Cheese and chocolate and hot cross buns in the house.....
  1. Load more activity