Riding My Own Broom

Well, that was fun. After 39 days of Whole 30, I broke my fast with a lovely piece of 90% dark chocolate. It was good, but not as good as I remember it being. I thought I would savor it more, but I really just gobbled it down in a fit of PMS-fueled munchies. I didn't feel guilt or shame over it. It was just a piece of chocolate.

They were right, Dallas and Melissa, when they said that Whole 30 would change my life. My relationship with food has completely changed. My food choices have completely changed. My eating schedule is different. I never want to go back to eating some of the crap I was eating before. I like my big, fatty breakfasts and the large amounts of vegetables I've been eating. I'm nervous about reintroduction because I don't want to feel bad again – I love my energy, my mood (unless I have PMS!), my lack of joint pain, my consistent sleep, and the way the numbers on the scale are creeping lower and lower every week. I really didn't want the Whole 30 to end… and yet… and yet… it has to.

I still want to log my food, especially now that I'm not technically doing Whole 30. I am still following the meal template, and still focusing exclusively on compliant foods, but now that my cold is almost gone, I want to starting thinking about reintroduction. I don't want to get frustrated/bored/stuck in a Whole 30 rut and run myself off the road completely.

Yesterday's menu was as follows.

Breakfast was 3 eggs over garlic kale, a slice of smoked salmon, and half a banana; then a cup of coffee with coconut milk

Lunch was tomato/beef/mushroom sauce over zucchini

Dinner was roast chicken, sweet potatoes, and tomato/cucumber salad.

Immediately after dinner I ate what is definitely the most ridiculous SWYPO treat ever: a banana, smashed, mixed with coconut cream, topped with a few raw cashews, sprinkled with nutmeg and cinnamon. It tasted like banana pudding (the southern treat that consists of pudding and bananas and nilla wafers). As I was eating it, I had the thought – THIS is what they mean by SWYPO. I can see now why it's not a good idea. The funny thing is, I went looking for a fat source to add to my meal, and ended up with this. It didn't make me feel unhealthy, and I didn't wake up with a hangover. But I don't think I am going to do this again for a while, because it doesn't help with that “need†for something sweet after dinner.

Looking at my menu yesterday I can see I didn't eat enough fat at lunch, which probably set me up for a fat overload after dinner. It's possible that the chocolate the night before also set me up for expecting something sweet after dinner last night. Although, it really wasn't as sweet (sugar was one of the last ingredients in the stuff) I guess that little bit of sugar was enough to do some damage, at least mentally.

Today's menu is as follows

Breakfast – 3 eggs, sweet potato and cucumber tomato salad left over from dinner last night, and coffee with coconut milk

Lunch is a chicken thigh, half a plantain, half an avocado, and an apple

Dinner will be taco salad with beef, sweet peppers, lettuce, salsa, and half an avocado

I woke up this morning thinking I don't have enough vegetables to make it to Friday, which is my usual shopping day. I think I can stretch what I have to make them last, but this is why I am having this apple for lunch.

Also, my sister is coming for a visit, bringing her baby, and my brother… so I am super excited. Sister said she is trying to be more healthy so I'm really looking forward to a weekend full of cooking, laughing, cooing over my nephew, and listening to my brother play the guitar.

Last time she visited, I roasted Brussels sprouts and she just won't stop talking about them. I see many caramelized vegetables in my future…

Today's menu:

Breakfast - 3 eggs and a plantain drizzled with coconut butter, and coffee with coconut milk

Lunch - baked chicken, salad, avocado? if it's still edible or raw cashews if it's not

Dinner - TBD

Today is family visiting day! Woohoo!!

Thanks Beets! The littlest is only 6 mos old, and a frustratingly smart and easily bored little overachiever... So we will probably be hanging around the house and taking lots of walks!

Last night got a chicken taco salad for dinner (with chips and cheese for the guests) and breakfast this morning was a feast of eggs, bacon, sweet potato/banana pancakes and coffee.

A break! Spent all day singing to the baby, and cooking here and there. My sister keeps talking about the healthy food, in a good way. Everyone told me at lunch that eating my cooking at home is much better than going out to eat in a restaurant. I am definitely feeling the love! I gave my sister my copy of iswf.

Lunch was leftover chicken taco salad

Dinner is fish and asparagus and Brussels sprouts, with rice for the guests. Maybe some chocolate for me :)

Tomorrow night Amy's family is coming for a big family party. Amy's mom is so eager to meet the baby! I plan on cooking chicken and having a big salad, and Amy got corn on the cob. We are going to the farmers market and I will probably look for fruit. People seem to enjoy my paleo meals, so I am going with it!

Wow, babies are exhausting. As an introvert, I find my adorable nephew sucks the life out of me. He is very fussy and needy... Poor guy is teething.

I went off road today. Let the guests choose breakfast from the farmers market and they brought back meat pies and fried dough with chives and a pie made of burger cookies. I had coffee and one of the meat pies, and later after dinner we had the pie. After breakfast I was very very tired, so for lunch I had sautéed kale with garlic and smoked salmon.

Dinner was the big family affair. We had baked chicken and beef BBQ and salad and corn... I ate chicken and salad. Later pie.

Tomorrow i am going right back to the meal template. However, I didn't do a proper reintroduction, so I will be on the lookout for possible consequences. Also not allowing myself to continue to off road. (Hear that, self??)

The family is on the road. I hate that they left but am also relieved. The coven is meeting at my house later. I may try to do some cooking and cleaning in the meantime... Or not. I don't know. One of the cats urinated in our bedroom last night so there is that irritation to deal with today... But so far, no sugar/gluten hangover...

Breakfast was 3 eggs, a slice of smoked salmon, and some tomatoes, and coffee with coconut milk.

I am slipping already. Yesterday was compliant, other than the late night dark chocolate, just because I wanted it. I'm frustrated with myself but trying not to dwell on it... Just picking myself back up and getting back on track.

Today it's hard boiled eggs for breakfast with fried plantain and coffee with coconut milk.

Lunch is chopped salad with more eggs.

Dinner is spaghetti squash with beef and tomatoes and mushrooms

Ssssh. Don't tell anyone but I can't stand babysitting other people's children. It's bad enough with your own. Also, babies are fascinating in small doses--but mostly draining. As my friend called them: needy little blobs that give you no feedback. Six months is starting to get interesting but its also brutal bc they keep trying to do things they cant do--and getting pissed off when hey can't do It (sit up, crawl, hold things, etc.). I much prefer toddlers.

Don't beat yourself up about the chocolate. You wanted it, you ate it. I hope you enjoyed it. If t becomes a problem, give or throw it away. But beating yourself up will get you in more trouble than chocolate.

I think that bit of offroading woke up the sugar monster... Last night after dinner I ate waaayyyy too many cashews. At least they are gone now and won't be tempting me today.

I am working on eating as much as possible in my early meals so I can beat these cravings. I had been doing so well and I want to be back there again.

Breakfast was half a fried plantain, 3 eggs, and cucumber, then coffee with coconut milk

Lunch is leftover spaghetti squash

Dinner is steak with sweet potato and sautéed greens

Also for dinner was mushrooms and banana with coconut milk. I'm not a fan of this pattern of eating sweet foods after dinner, and am working on it.

Breakfast today was 3 hard boiled eggs, tomato, cucumber, plantain, and coffee with coconut milk

Lunch is leftover spaghetti squash

Dinner I'm not sure about yet

Lunch ended up being a chicken and romaine salad with just a bit of dressing, a couple of olives, half a handful of raw pepitas, and some Brads Raw Kale Chips, piña kale-ada flavor. I love a pun, but the chips themselves are a little weird.

Congratulations on the success you've had so far and on your efforts to keep going with good habits. Please don't beat yourself up so much.

So, just a thought, could there be other forces at work in (or contributing to) waking your dragon? You seem to be in a pattern of having something sweet at breakfast (plantain or sweet potato). I think that's a trigger for some people. What about having your eggs with acorn or spaghetti squash instead and/or over sauteed or braised greens? Maybe also try adding some fat to your breakfast?

Thank you ABS for your suggestions! During my Whole 39 I had great success with the breakfast foods I am eating now, but I was eating more fat with that first meal. I am trying to find the balance again, between too little and too much. This week I appear to be in a cycle where I eat so much at meal 3, i am not as hungry for breakfast, which sets me up for another day of wanting to eat a lot at night.

Noticing this trend and making incremental changes is helping me get back on track with a minimum of complaining :) I am just so impatient with this process, it helps to be reminded to be nicer to myself.

Last night dinner was chipotle. They were so skimpy with the guacamole, I had a spoon of coconut butter after . It seemed to do the trick... I was full and without cravings last night, and woke up hungry this morning. Had eggs and plantain with coconut butter, and coffee with coconut milk. Lunch is a beautiful salad: I went to a fancy grocery store yesterday and they didn't have the kale I was looking for; I ended up with a 4-pack of fancy curly/bitter/sweet lettuces and some extra fancy smoked salmon, and a lovely olive medley. Those ingredients, plus half a yellow pepper and balsamic/evoo, are lunch.

I realized I didn't log food for the last few days. I've been focusing on eating compliant foods and sticking to the meal template. Nothing really out of the ordinary food-wise. We went to a family gathering last night where they had grilled burgers and put cheese on every single one. I simply scraped the cheese off (it was processed American, so it kind of maintained its waxy squareness even after melting and growing cold) and had some tomato on the side. There must have been – I am not kidding – 12 bags of potato chips in a variety of flavors. (Really, UTZ, BBQ Rib flavor? Who eats that?) Followed by a million different desserts. The kids were out of their minds. But it was a good time, lots of laughing and story-telling. I think the family is getting used to me saying “no thank you†firmly but politely. Got home and didn't feel hungry, but was tired, so I went to bed and read articles on my phone. At around 11:30 I started feeling hungry and decided to just go to sleep.

Woke up this morning before the 6am alarm and was awake and hungry. Got up and fixed plantains, eggs, smoked salmon, and coffee. Also made lunch. This week I am going “down the rabbit hole†with my food. When I went to the farmer's market yesterday I found a ton of delicious-looking greens that I could not pass by: arugula, kale, indigo frisee, and a variety called “asian stir fry mix†which tastes mustardy and bitter and good. Also got two bunches of radishes and asparagus, some cucumber and tomato and sweet potato. No peppers this week! So lunches this week will be salad with stuff on them. I'm still working my way through the “Divina†olives mix I got from Eddie's on Thursday. Something about the hot weather makes me crave bitterness.

Last summer we ate a lot of fruit and cheese plates for dinner instead of cooking. This year I'm thinking I will continue the trend, only instead of fruit and cheese, it will be raw veggies and olives and smoked meats/fishes. Looking forward to this!!

One out-of-the-ordinary food thing – I created this crepe out of mashed sweet potato and egg with water and spices. Baked it in the oven on a parchment paper and used one to make a “burrito†with shitake mushrooms, spring onions, and stir fry greens, with some beef strips and radishes, for breakfast. It was pretty good. By the time the filling was ready, the crepe was cold. Then for lunch I cut a crepe into 4 pieces and put them back in the oven and heated them separately. They were firm enough to make a sandwich of lettuce, mustard, and sliced beef. I had a cucumber/tomato salad next to that, followed by a few macadamia nuts. It was filling and fresh.

I find that since I've started eating this way, my period takes FOREVER to start. All of the signs are happening – especially the moodiness! – but so slowly. Hurry up!!!

Also, a small victory – I went down a cup size. All of the bras I have been wearing are in the wash so I had to grab one of the ones that used to be considered my “small†bras. And it fit. My shape requires a special size, so I am really looking forward (hopefully) to continued changes in this area.

Finally, we signed the lease on a new apartment that we'll be moving into in July. It's a few blocks from work and the apartment is just above a dear friend's. The kitchen is small, and has an electric stove, which I am trying not to freak out about. I am a cooking snob and feel that gas is the only way to go. But, in exchange for the close proximity to work, the reduction in rent, and the awesome neighbors, I will figure out a way to make it work.

The past few days have been wobbly as I veer off course with nuts and nut butters. I am staying with the template and compliant foods (can't believe it's not whole 30-style) with a few additions: dark chocolate 100% unsweetened. I threw away the nuts and nut butters, except the coconut butter, which isn't as tempting as it once was. I need to focus more on getting the fat with meats and eggs and veggies.

I made these "paleo cookies" with nut butter and the unsweetened chocolate, and they were food without breaks for sure... BUT after eating them I didn't feel unhealthy like when I used to eat sugary treats. I felt full and satisfied. But I threw most of them away after realizing how without breaks they were. It's good to see how sugar was really affecting me... Or maybe it was the flour...

Physibeth- what is funny: I did freeze most of them! Amy haaaaaaated them - she said the unsweetened chocolate was like eating an aspirin- so I froze them. They were really good even frozen. There was a little bit of honey in them, they were definitely not w30 compliant. To me they were pleasantly sweet, but I haven't had sugar in a while. My intention was to eat them occasionally, which turned into every night... I still have an unhealthy relationship with cookies, my favorite food without breaks :) I saw an unhealthy pattern starting and freaked out a little bit and threw the cookies in the trash. I am sticking with the unsweetened chocolate if I want a treat. It's so bitter I can barely eat one square. And there are no rebound sugar cravings.

As for the coconut butter, I stab it with a knife and put a chunk in a tiny bowl in the microwave. But yeah, too much work sometimes!

I tried that freezing trick once with mint grasshopper brownies. Turned out frozen grasshopper brownies are really really yummy. :)

Oh anything that tastes anything like thin mint would not survive frozen or otherwise for me. I think it is hit or miss for me on freezing. I really don't bake much as my husband isn't much of a sweets fan so why bother. I love my Theo's chocolate bars. Just a square is really nice. I have to be more careful though. I bought one that ended up having rice bran flour in it.

Oh, what a week!

I decided to stop logging food this week, and when I look back all I can remember are the indulgences: dark chocolate, southern BBQ with fixings, and last night... Frozen pizza and ice cream. Bless me, forum, for I have sinned...

But with the indulgences, are lessons: the sugar/grain combo not only makes me immediately fall into a coma but also makes my joints creak... My dark chocolate needs to be sugar-free... I need more fat at lunch.

This week I ate kale and eggs for breakfast. Once I had lox and once, bacon.

Several times for lunch I had raw veggies with canned tuna in olive oil or lox and a few almonds. Tons of food but not enough fat. This week I think I'll add avocado.

Getting plenty of sleep and playing outside. Overall good mood and energy. Reading more books and off Facebook except for during work hours.

Also I realized that what I thought was weird spotting last month was actually my period... The lightest it's ever been. Very mild Pms.

More and more of my clothes don't fit. Fun and annoying at the same time :)

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since my last update! I have mostly settled into a groove with cooking/eating habits.

Mid June I had my period and allowed myself to give in to those ice cream cravings... For almost a week. I started feeling really like crap-old issues with joint pain, inflammation, lethargy, etc resurfaced and desire for clean food hit me as soon as the period ended. I didn't even go through carb flu symptoms when I stopped the ice cream abruptly. Body was relieved to get clean food back.

Then last week I started getting bad stomach aches and realized... I was eating too many raw veggies! All of the raw veg for lunch plus salads for dinner really did not agree with me. So this week I cooked up a brisket and sautéed cabbage for lunches... Hopefully I can still eat salads for dinner now. It's too hot to cook every night after work so I have really enjoyed those salads :)

Speaking of cook up, I did the aforementioned brisket and cabbage: 3.75lb brisket with coffee/cumin/chocolate rub (recipe called for cocoa, which I don't have, so I micro planed a square of bakers chocolate) and 2 onions plus 2 green cabbages made lunch for 2 people for 4 days.

Also did 2 quarts of mushrooms under 2 super cute little chickens, with garlic-lemon-thyme. Saved the juices to make zucchini noodles to go with (I prefer my zoodles fresh, not reheated) on whatever day we'll have that for dinner. Everything fit in the nice lasagna pan my mom gave me for Christmas.

Then I did about 8 sweet potatoes, chopped and roasted, for breakfast... Just add sunny side up eggs and a banana.

Later this week I will roast the big pork loin and make spaghetti style zoodles, plus salads, for dinners.

I tried a new organic market this week and am thrilled with it. The brisket was $18 for what ended up making 8 meals... Grass fed local beef! The chickens were each $8 and will yield at least 2 meals, also local and happy chickens. The pork roast was $17 and should be enough for at least 8 meals, and is also from a local farm. The cage free local eggs were under $4 per dozen. AND there were 32oz jars of coconut oil for $5.99!!! I have been spending much more at the grocery store. They had other fancy oils that I am too frugal to buy right now, but I look forward to a future splurge. My total bill was $134 for most of what I'll need this week. The only down side is that they didn't have sweet potato so I did have to go to the Giant and spent another $40 on sweet potato, bagels, smoked salmon, bottled water, and fancy Popsicles... Most of which is for Amy. You couldn't pay me to eat a bagel!

All of the meat was frozen, so I let Amy buy food yesterday... A decision we both ended up regretting. Yet another reminder that there is a reason we changed our eating habits... Ugh.

This morning I woke up at 830 to find an email from the landlord to notify us that they were having an open house at my house from 10-3 TODAY. Instant panic turned into cleaning frenzy. We managed to make it to the farmers market to pick up some arugula and fresh strawberries and raspberries. There really is nothing like the real deal, in season fresh berries. It's going to be a fruity week, because the organic market also had fresh figs...yummmmmm!!

So I spent from 945-2pm doing my cook up, with random visitors wandering through periodically. The leasing agent was drooling every time... Eyeing up the brisket first time through... Then chickens and mushrooms... Sautéed cabbage and onions... Sweet potatoes. Of course it's now a sauna in the house after all that cooking, so I'm not sure people will want to move into such a warm environment. Oh well, not my problem. If they'd given more than 11 hours notice I could have scheduled my weekend differently, but they didn't.

Going to grab a salad with chicken and berries and evoo for lunch today... Then maybe some nature/swimming time! Feeling super accomplished today!

Archived