For those scared of Nitrates and Nitrites...

I thought foods with nitrates/nitrites as ingredients (not naturally occuring in the food) were not W30 compliant?

No. Sulphites are okay if naturally occuring. I think you may have them confused.

The Bacon Manifesto (http://whole9life.com/2012/03/bacon/) says nitrates and nitrites are not part of Whole30:

If you're on the Whole30, your bacon must be sugar-free. This means no added sugar in any form in the ingredient list – no honey, cane syrup or xylitol, even if sugar is listed as “0 grams†on the label. (And while we prefer all processed foods have as few additives as possible, nitrates/nitrites are not a part of the Whole30 “rules.â€) Sugar-free bacon is not easy to find, but it's out there. You probably won't find it at your local health food store – you'll likely have to search producers in your local farming community, or online.

I wasn't mixed up about sulfites/nitrites, I just thought they were both off limits.

I just read the Bacon Manifesto (www.whole9life.com/2012/03/bacon). Accorind to this, only pastured organic bacon is acceptible.

quote:

Summary: We cannot recommend consumption – even in “moderation†– of bacon from the factory farming system. If you want to enjoy bacon as part of your healthy, varied Paleo diet, you must take the time to seek out a pastured, organic source.

This is the statement from the manifesto that has me confused, probably because I overthink EVERYthing:

(And while we prefer all processed foods have as few additives as possible, nitrates/nitrites are not a part of the Whole30 “rules.â€)

Not part of the Whole30 rules, as in , there are no rules about nitrates/nitrites? Or as in, they are not part of the Whole30 plan?

This is the statement from the manifesto that has me confused, probably because I overthink EVERYthing:

Not part of the Whole30 rules, as in , there are no rules about nitrates/nitrites? Or as in, they are not part of the Whole30 plan?

As in they are not prohibited. :)

I wasn't mixed up about sulfites/nitrites, I just thought they were both off limits.

I just read the Bacon Manifesto (www.whole9life.com/2012/03/bacon). Accorind to this, only pastured organic bacon is acceptible.

quote:

Summary: We cannot recommend consumption – even in “moderation†– of bacon from the factory farming system. If you want to enjoy bacon as part of your healthy, varied Paleo diet, you must take the time to seek out a pastured, organic source.

Yes..that is because it is mostly fat. Unhappy pigs make unhealthy bacon. I do without most of the time but definitely when I cant afford organic grass fed.

Me, too! That is exactly how I came to think nitrates/trites were not allowed. I mis-read that statement.

And, for further clarification, the articles on the 9Blog (like the above manifesto) have a broader scope than Whole30. So, while we don't recommend ANY bacon that's not pastured and organic, that recommendation is not a part of the Whole30 program guidelines.

Archived