Friday Night = Pizza Night, right?

Suzgord

When I did paleo for about a month before starting my Whole 30 this last Monday, the ONE time--besides a tiny bit of sugar in my coffee--that I treated myself was Friday night with the family.

After my husband and I have been working/teaching all week, we don't want to cook, clean, or even THINK about what the four of us are eating. I generally only ever ate a couple of pieces, and I gave up the one sugar soda I was having along with it. It's clearly been a slurge night at our house because we often even had some chocolate candy for dessert. Pure decadence. Pure delight. Pure sugar when all that stuff hit my bloodstream.

So tonight after work, no pizza. Mama Mia! I don't want to do a zucchini equivalent or some paleo pizza wannabe, so the best way I can think to get ahead of pizza withdrawal and a big old pity party is to get some Chipotle take out. If I understand correctly, the pork there with all the guac and pico and romaine lettuce is plan compliant.

That way, I can still avoid the cook, clean, think. I can't avoid the pizza in my house, but I can try to satisfy most of my Friday night needs with this alternative.

Anyone else have such a weekly tradition that's hard to break? Any other Atlanta area take out options for the next three Friday nights?

Other options to avoiding cooking on Friday night are to make it a clean out the fridge leftover night or to throw something in the crock pot to cook Friday morning or Thursday night. I always make sure I have some leftovers in the fridge/freezer for when I don't feel like cooking so I can't make excuses.

Nice ideas, y'all. Well, maybe leftover and fridge clean out I will save for my last Friday night without a slice, but a deconstructed burger might be something I could throw together without leaving behind that Friday night feelin'. Thanks!

Hey, what's in your paleo mocktail? Lemon, lime, olives?

My kids love deconstructed taco salad. I prep all the veggies, mix up guacamole, and then all that needs to happen is cooking up the ground beef when it's time to eat. It's a quick, easy, compliant meal that is no biggie to make after a long day/week. :)

Glad to hear that about Chipotle. It's a favorite, and I was imagining just the meal you mentioned. Oh, and with fajita veggies. But then I wondered what they're sauteed in.

Good call about the fajita veggies. I understand they are done in a vegetable oil, so that would be a no-no for the Whole 30, I guess.

MEATZA! It does take some prep, but we absolutely love MEATZA. Well-Fed has the best recipe. We love to make it on the weekends w 2 lbs of beef, so we have leftovers. So Delish!

Just bought the book this past week, so I will give it a look while I'm doing my first cook-up tomorrow. Thanks!

Also, I came up with a decently tasty lunch or mini-meal that was, well, at least REMINISCENT of pizza.

Take Applegate Farms pepperoni and add pizza toppings you like on top of say four. I added roasted bell pepper, onion, and olives. I toasted the pepperoni-base mini "pizzas" in the toaster oven. Then I put two into a large romanie lettuce leaf and had a sort of pizza taco. It really wasn't half bad.

Glad to hear that about Chipotle. It's a favorite, and I was imagining just the meal you mentioned. Oh, and with fajita veggies. But then I wondered what they're sauteed in.

I think we discovered they use soy oil to cook the fajita veggies. That would be out. If it's canola, then its not desireable but not out.

• 2 years later...

Thank you for asking this question! I'm trying to eat "Whole30-ish" while waiting to actually start the Whole30 in January, after the holidays. But I gave in to pizza night tonight! Friday night it's family tradition to eat pizza at home. I like that I don't have to cook or prep anything but the salad, and tonight I just couldn't get past that. I think I'll try the "meatza" idea but also Chipotle is a good option for Friday nights when I just don't want to cook.

Anybody have any other ideas for a convenient, low or no prep meal on Friday nights that will compete with the kids' pizza? I'd love more ideas! Even reheating my Whole30 Italian meatballs (that I prepped ahead and have in the freezer) in jarred, compliant spaghetti sauce, just didn't cut it tonight. I need stuff I can just pull out of the fridge or freezer and not think about at all on Friday nights!

Lots of great ideas already.  Whatever you make Thursday night, make double! (If you can handle eating the same meal two days in a row).  Or buy some compliant burger patties (beef or turkey or whatever) to keep on hand.  I usually roast a few squash on Sundays and that's an easy re-heat option.  Pre-cut and washed salad is a huge timesaver.  Make some homemade mayo to have on hand at all times and have a burger patty with your favourite burger veggies (LOTS of them) and a dollop of mayo and compliant ketchup and/or mustard (the de-constructed burger idea).

This might scratch the itch for pizza (make sure your sausage and pizza sauce are compliant): http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-pizza-spaghetti-pie/

Cheers,

-Lauren

Archived