saying yes

missmary

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mixed results at my parent's house for dinner.

I was served (and I chose to consume) a tiny piece of steak, a green salad, the tabbouleh (above), strawberries and a glass of red wine. I just couldn't turn down this wine that was purchased to please me, especially not when I had already been accomodated in a whole host of different ways (special salad dressing--just olive oil and vinegar--made just for me, strawberries set aside so I would have something while everyone else was eating pie, etc.) I just had one glass.

I'm at peace with this choice. My whole 30 begins now.

DAY 1

pre-workout snack: a couple macadamia nuts, roasted turkey

workout: SUPERSET CIRCUIT, 3 times through.

A1=stepup and curl @ 10lbs e x 8 reps e

A2=pushup x 12 reps

B1=squat and press @ 15lbs e x 12 reps

B2=cable chop @ 22.5 x 12 reps each side

C1=cable row @ 44.5 x 12 reps

C2=Turkish getup @ 5lbs x 4 reps each side.

Goal here is to bring heartrate up to zone 4 with each superset. achieved for most, but not all ;) If I get really nerdy later I'll post the graph.

meal #1 (post-workout): 2 hard boiled eggs, half a small roasted sweet potato with ghee, steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, iced cold press coffee (black)

meal #2: Slow-cooker Korean Beef Shortribs with spinach and roasted asparagus. forgot the cilantro at home.

http://nomnompaleo.c...-fed-short-ribs

meal #3: Had to work very late unexpectedly, so came home hungry. had more shortribs with spinach and the rest of that little sweet potato from this morning, garnished with cilantro. Gingerade Kombucha.

OH! it was after dark, so I let the colleague I was helping out give me a ride home, so...no bike commute tonight, and not tomorrow morning either. I'm a bit bummed about that! I love that bike ride, and I'll miss it tomorrow.

DAY 2

meal #1 3 eggs, scrambled with a mess of spinach baby greens, half a small avocado, cherry tomatoes, scallions. iced espresso (black).

meal #2 roasted chicken legs, roasted asparagus. salad of cherry tomatoes, the rest of the avocado, sliced cucumber, olive oil and apple cider vinegar. cherries.

keep waking up conjested with itchy itchy eyes. I blame the window air conditioner blaring in the bedroom (it is SO HOT I need it to sleep). -will take a look at that filter tommorrow. in better news, the acne that appeared about 6 months ago is FINALLY clearing up. could it have been grains all this time?

One more post.

Looking at the acne comment above, it seems insane that this should clear up in one day BUT I actually gave up grains and my beloved hemp/pea/rice/chia protein powder about 3 weeks ago, doing a sort of "WHOLE 30 PREP" while I finished up some hummus in the fridge and got myself mentally prepared, so yeah, I've been at this for a while. :)

Lovely 5-mile bike ride home, followed by meal #3: zuchinni noodles, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, garlic, shrimp, all sauteed together in a little ghee with a squirt of lemon and a small handfull of marinated green olives. 1/2 of a gingeraide kombucha.

2 things I'm excited about today:

1. I realized on my ride home today that it's been a week or more since my last episode of exercise induced asthma (I used to have this every single day on the way home, Today I actually forgot my inhaler. and I didn't need it!)
  2. my green olives :) when I started my Whole30 I decided I needed to stop buying those lovely garlicy green olives from the bulk area in whole foods because I just didn't know what kind of oil that is, or any of the ingredients, really. So, I got a can of organic green olives, drained and rinsed and tossed with peppercorns, sliced garlic, red pepper flakes and a couple bay leaves, along with really good organic olive oil. they've been marinating in the fridge for about a week and they are starting to get really good!

ok, one more thing to be excited about today:

3. a coworker/friend when I explained that I would not be partaking in happy hour beverages, responded with "ok, do you think alcohol will be a part of your lifestyle again at some point in the future? or are you done?"...and then suggested that we should start going out dancing instead. I am SO HAPPY to have generally mostly supportive and open-minded people in my life.

DAY 3

meal #1: (Whole30 compliant) chicken sausage, lots of chard, red onion sauted in coconut oil with 1/2 a small roasted sweet potato and 2 fried eggs. Iced coffee (black).

Farmers Market quest for the day: W30 bacon! wish me luck.

ok, I need to plan a little better. I did my workout after breakfast, but didn't bring a snack with me. Decided to go the the farmers market straight from the gym anyway...did not go off plan, but was positivly ravenous by the time I got home.

meal #2: more chicken sausage, the second half of that sweet potato sauteed together, and eaten in haste :blink:

on the plus side, I picked up some beautiful carrots and beets, wild shitake mushrooms, and pastured eggs, along with grass fed ground beef and lamb, lamb kabob meat and (W30 compliant) bratwurst (no bacon, though). My freezer is full and happy.

the workout: DENSITY SUPERSET, 3 sets of each pair before moving on to the next exercise, 1 minute (or more!) of rest between supersets. Unless noted, I did the same number of reps/same weight for all three sets.

A1=DB Chest Press 8 reps w/30 lbs dumbells

A2=Pushup 12 reps, 8 reps, 8 reps

B1=BB Squat 8 reps w/155lb for the first set, 8 reps w/135lbs for the 2nd and 3rd (made the change for better ROM/form)

B2=Walking Lunges w/10lb plates in each hand. 12 reps each side.

C1=Assisted Pullup w/115lbs assistance. 8 reps.

C2=TRX (bodyweight) row. 12 reps.

The goal here was to choose a weight geared around 8 reps with good form for the first exercise, and to fail at doing 12 reps for the second, similar exercise. It felt good, although I obviously need to work on pullups...I'm not sure if it is a mental thing or a physical thing that makes them so hard for me, but at least I'm improving steadily each time. I'll take it.

Pull ups *are* really hard, esp for women. Well done on your weights, looks like a great programme.

Thanks Derval! I know you know a thing or two about weights, so it means a lot that you approve of my program.

The rest of today was pretty successful.

meal #3: carnitas over greens with double pico and a side of guac (who knew Chipotle could be so in sync with W30?)

meal #4: brat, veggie kabob (bell pepper, summer squash, onion, mushroom) and more guac at my brother's house. plain kombucha when I got home.

I have to say I'm pretty proud of how I navigated dining with the family this time. I brought brats, veggie kabobs, guac and chips to share (and so I would have something to eat!). I did not consume buns, or chips, potato salad (even the portion that was set aside especially for me) or pie. I did not consume gluten-free beer (even though they got it just for me). This was achieved without much fuss or discussion. I don't think anyone's feelings were hurt, and some people even seemed pleased to have some extra veggies from the grill.

I DID have to deal with some very intrusive (non-food related) advice from my sister-in-law, but I think I did ok with that as well. I KNOW that she just wants me to be happy, and honestly once again I am grateful for the vast majority of my friends and family and their ability to just roll with things and let me be who I am/eat what I want.

DAY 4

meal #1: egg salad made with farmers market eggs, homeade mayo, capers, red onion, chives. kimchi. cherry tomatoes. iced espresso (black). hungry two hours later, so...

meal #2: I had chicken sausage, sauteed with lots of spinach for my second breakfast. I love second breakfast.

That's awesome that your friends/family are purchasing stuff that's "just for you," even if they don't quite get it. At least they're trying! I think your meals look really good. :)

That's awesome that your friends/family are purchasing stuff that's "just for you," even if they don't quite get it. At least they're trying! I think your meals look really good. :)

I agree Amy. I've been gluten free/dairy free for a couple years, but the no alcohol thing is new, so it makes sense that it would take time for everyone to adapt. They survived me as a 16-year-old militant vegetarian :o , so I figure the whole30 shouldn't be too tough to take. and thanks!

meal #3: salad of tuna, red bell pepper, cucumber, cilantro, black olives, red onion, dressed with mayo/lime juice/olive oil

meal #4: cherries (HUNGRY day today. maybe because of yesterday's workout? "Density" often makes me hungry.)

meal #5: shitake mushrooms and shredded roast chicken leg sauteed with shallot, ghee, coconut milk. a few cherry tomatoes and chives thrown in at the end and a tiny spoonfull of (W30 compliant) chicken liver pate. I'm not sure why I made this pate if I was going to be so freaked out about eating it. Oh well. the cat enjoyed some raw chicken liver and I tried something new.

DAY 5

pre-workout snack: a couple macadamia nuts, roasted turkey

workout: TRX SUPERSET, 3 sets of 12 reps (completed all three sets before moving on to the next pair).

A1=pushup

A2=hamstring curl

B1=row

B2=sprinter

C1=tricep extension

C2=curtsy lunge

D1=bicep

D2=pike

Ran out of time to complete E1 and E2 (Y+T and single leg lunge). Hopefully I'll get three workouts in this week so the TRX can fall happily on a weekend day (when I have a bit more time) again starting Sunday.

meal #1 (post-workout): 2 hard boiled eggs, broccoli roasted w/coconut oil, cherry tomatoes, iced cold press coffee (black). forgot the roasted sweetpotato at home.

meal #2: turkey meatballs, carrot salad. adapted a couple old favorites from smitten kitchen. subbed coconut aminos for soy sauce in the meatballs (didn't make the dipping sauce), skipped sugar and feta in the salad.

http://smittenkitche...y-ginger-glaze/

http://smittenkitche...-feta-and-mint/

bike commute: 3.4 miles (the shortest possible route. I was too hungry to mess around, just had to get home)

meal #3: the ground turkey mix from the meatballs at lunch, sauted with onion, chard and beet greens, cubed sweet potato and a bit of mayo (the turkey was pretty dry).

ate and ate and ate, but still hungry. going to eat cherries now.

DAY 6

meal #1: 2 hard boiled eggs, leftover roasted broccoli, cherry tomatoes. iced espresso (black).

meal #2: leftovers of meal#3 from yesterday (turkey, onion, chard, beet greens, sweet potato).

meal #3: zuchinni noodles with saute of red onion, red bell pepper, chicken sausage. a few big spoons of green goddess dressing as a sauce.

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/08/05/vegan-green-goddess-dressing-vegan-recipes/

DAY 7

pre-workout snack: hardboiled egg

workout: SUPERSET CIRCUIT, 3 times through.

A1=stepup and curl @ 12.5lbs e x 8 reps e

A2=pushup x 12 reps

B1=squat and press @ 17.5lbs e x 12 reps

B2=cable chop @ 22.5 x 12 reps each side

C1=cable row @ 44.5 x 12 reps

C2=Turkish getup @ 5lbs x 4 reps each side.

Goal here is to bring heartrate up to zone 4 with each superset. achieved for most, but not all.

post-workout snack: 1 hard boiled egg, small roasted sweet potato, cherry tomatoes (eaten right away, pre-shower, etc.)

meal #1: 3 prosciutto wrapped asparagus spears, iced cold press coffee, black. I was excited about this breakfast (and found sugar-free prosciutto, etc) but not really hungry. I guess with post-workout snack/breakfast being so close that makes sense.

http://nomnompaleo.c...sparagus-spears

meal #2: monthly office lunch. requested the balsamic chicken chevre, hold the balsamic and chevre, SO, chicken breast strips, strawberries, walnuts and greens. I was planning on bringing some dressing (the balsamic dressing seems to have sugar and who knows what else), but I forgot. It was fine.

Archived