saying yes

missmary

usual commute, managed to not get rained on, despite ominous skys.

meal #4. farmers market brats, removed from their casings and sauteed in coconut oil with lots of mushrooms, red bell pepper and the last of the spinach. served with a little salad of cherry tomatoes/avocado and a spoonful of macadamia nut oil mayo...because I just made it, and well...yum. half a kombucha. one dried apricot.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DAY 15

another Dr's appointment this morning and a work-related social event this evening, so no workout, no bike commute.

meal #1. some of the leftover sausage/veggie mix from last night, scrambled with eggs, topped with cherry tomatoes. iced coldpress (black)

meal #2. curry chicken salad (chicken breast and thigh, roasted and pulled, celery, red onion, apple-juice sweetened cranberries, macadmia nut-oil mayo, lemon juice, penzeys singapore seasoning), served with baby salad greens and a sprinkle of walnuts.

It's funny, I used to think of myself as a big planner, but I'm really flying by the seat of my pants throughout this whole 30.

-headed to a function straight from the office with no plan and no snack. Stayed there until about 8pm, drinking bottled water and eating nothing (the food didn't appeal to me. at all). When I got home I needed to return a call to a friend, so ate a small meal quickly...

meal #3. little bit of leftover sausage/veggie mix with some cubed sweet potatoes (maybe 1/3 cup?)

...talked on the phone for an hour or so, then had another small meal.

meal #4. left-over slow-cooker pulled pork with kimchee.

I'm determined to do a little better on meals (over the weekend at least), but happy I was able to comply with the program and remain pretty steady (if a little headachy) despite being hungry. In happy news, one friend I saw tonight insisted on gifting me with a huge bag of her garden produce, so I've got home grown chard and kale and cucumbers and squash and...I'm not sure what else...to enjoy, like my own private CSA. yum.

DAY 16

plans after work tonight, so I'm driving again (I figure not being so much of a social hermit is good for me, and probably offsets the 25 minutes of moderate cardio) not working out either. just a bunch of foam rolling to make sure I'm super fresh and ready for my personal trainer session tomorrow. yay for moderation!

meal #1. hard boiled eggs, smoked turkey, a little cubed roasted sweet potato, steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes.

meal #2. same as yesterday [curry chicken salad (chicken breast and thigh, roasted and pulled, celery, red onion, apple-juice sweetened cranberries, macadmia nut-oil mayo, lemon juice, penzeys singapore seasoning), served with baby salad greens and a sprinkle of walnuts] + cucumber.

hmmm, DAY 16, first "off-plan" craving. Standing in line for my espresso over ice I found myself wanting one of those awful muffins with the sugary top. I think my weird small meals last night made for a hungry morning.

anyway, I didn't get one, and my eggs and broccoli are tasting really really good right now.

meal #3. dinner party with some friends, I gave fair warning of my restrictions in advance, so there were a few things that worked for me to eat: muhamara (a dip of roasted red pepper, walnuts, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice) which I had in a little bowl instead of the baguette. olives. salami. then morraccan meatballs (more like sliders--no breadcrumbs or binder) and carrot salad which might have had a little honey? either that or carrots are really quite sweet to me now. water with lemon wedge all night long.

It was fun and good, although I missed the social ease that comes from a glass or two of wine...and I stayed out/up a bit later than I probably should have, considering my appointment with my trainer at 9am. better get to bed.

Sounds like a good night, have a good session this am.

Thanks Derval! it was good. :)

DAY 17

pre-workout. hard boiled egg, iced espresso

workout: AGILITY CARDIO with Max. we did 2 sets of each exercise.

Footwork

side-to-side x 9 cones

forward-backward x 9 cones

ViPR (as a superset)

Squat w/#6 x 15 reps

Clean and Press w/#10 x 10 reps

Jump (reps for heart rate--zone 4)

side-to-side

front-to-back

4-square

This was great. I always have fun with Max, and I think we have a good plan for my program in the next 4-weeks or so.

post-workout. um, didn't have any roasted sweet potatoes, eggs or turkey left. didn't bring anything to the gym with me. so. treated myself to a fresh green juice (cucumber, celery, lemon, parsley) at the co-op.

After stocking up on meat and eggs at the farmer's market, and more veggies and chicken sausage at the co-op I came home, totally ready for meal #1.

meal #1. eggs scrambled in coconut oil with chicken sausage (Blinski's spinach/garlic. no sugar.), spinach, and a big handful of alitab's arugula :). topped it with some cherry tomatoes, avocado and a little of my own sriracha. amazing (or maybe I was just extra hungry from my workout?).

meal #2. green curry chicken (chicken breast and thigh, roasted and pulled, broccoli, summer squash, red bell pepper, carrot. all simmered in a sauce of coconut milk, chicken broth*, fish sauce**, lime juice, green curry paste. topped with basil, cilantro, scallion, cherry tomato).

realized that I forgot the mushrooms and peas, but still prettty good.

*my own broth from the freezer

**red boat. (no sugar)

DAY 18

meal #1. a whole lot of chard from my friend's garden*, sauteed in coconut oil with chicken sausage and sweet potato cubes (pre-roasted). topped with a fried egg. espresso.

*I'm loving the variety of yummy fresh veggies in my fridge right now :) . must plan to raid friends' gardens and csas more often.

workout.

easy bike ride downtown to the gym

then HEAVY PUSH-PULL 3 sets of 8 reps with approx 1 minute of rest between sets, completed all three sets of each exercise before moving on to the next one. -used the same weight/setting for all three sets unless noted.

Machine Chest Press #6, #6, #5

Machine Row #5, #4, #4

Machine Leg Press w/180lbs

BB Squat w/135lbs

Lat Pulldown #12 (70)

DB Shoulder Press (incline bench) w/25s

BB Deadlift w/95lbs

Hamstring Curl #60

Front Plank 60 seconds, 45 seconds, 45 seconds

Side Plank 45 seconds, 30 seconds, 30 seconds (each side)

Bridge 60 seconds, 60 seconds, 60 seconds

(shorter rests between planks, blasting Kelly Clarkson's Stonger in the earbuds throughout :rolleyes: . don't judge!)

meal #2. stopped by the office to get a little work done and eat the lunch I packed: leftover green chicken curry from last night with lots of mushrooms and broccoli added. iced cold press.

planning on taking the long way home in an hour or two. lots to do, but concentration just wasn't there, so I finished up lunch and got on the bike. all told, about 13 miles of riding, 9 of those on wooded paths and around lakes :).

meal #3. pot roast (farmer's market beef, carrot, onion, mushrooms, fire roasted tomatoes, garlic cooked in the slow cooker) over mashed cauliflower (cauliflower, garlic, ghee) with a massaged kale salad (kale, avocado, cherry tomato, apple cider vinegar, olive oil). half a gingerade kombucha.

DAY 19

pre-workout snack. hard boiled egg.

workout: AGILITY CARDIO 3 sets of each exercise.

Footwork

side-to-side x 9 cones

forward-backward x 9 cones

ViPR (as a superset)

Squat w/#10 x 10 reps

Clean and Press w/#10 x 10 reps

Jump (reps for heart rate--zone 4)

side-to-side

front-to-back

4-square

This was fun and good, if a little long...might skip the ViPR next time to get it all done before work.

post-workout snack. none. just waited for breakfast at the office.

meal #1. leftover chard mix from yesterday (sauteed in coconut oil with chicken sausage and sweet potato cubes), another hardboiled egg. iced cold press.

meal #2. leftover pot roast, salad, etc. from last night. strawberries.

bike: 3.6 miles

food: meal #3. shrimp, summer squash "noodles," broccoli, cherry tomatoes; with arugula/basil pesto.* sparkling water with lime.

*formula is 1 part sprouted almonds, 1 part olive oil, 2 parts arugula, 2 parts basil, lots of garlic (no parmesan, etc.).

That pesto sounds great, what are sprouted almonds?

Sprouted almonds are regular almonds that have been soaked until they germinate, then dehydrated. This makes the nutrition in the almonds more bioavailable (reduces phytic acid), and for me anyway, it means they don't give me a stomach ache...also, they taste a little more sweet/less bitter. You can sprout your own, but I usually buy them at the co-op.

DAY 20

meal #1. 2 eggs, scrambled in coconut oil with lots of spinach, and some roasted turkey. 1/2 of a small avocado. a couple strawberries. iced espresso.

meal #2. green curry chicken (chicken breast and thigh, roasted and pulled, broccoli, summer squash, red bell pepper, carrot. all simmered in a sauce of coconut milk, chicken broth*, fish sauce**, lime juice, green curry paste. topped with basil, cilantro, scallion, cherry tomato). added a bunch more broccoli as on Saturday. super spendy herloom cherry tomatoes have bloomed with black mold, so grumbling a bit about that.

So, 2/3rds of the way done. Things are going pretty routinely, and I am feeling pretty good. Energy is picking up a tiny bit (maybe from the DHEA?) and I feel like sleep is deeper, even if I still wake up multiple times in the night. At least I'm dreaming. strange strange dreams (last night it included reasoning with a pair of horses and trying/failing multiple times to get a co-worker's soup order right--was it Ramen? or Pho? etc. somehow these two events were linked. odd).

Off to a wet/rainy/muddy job site visit. no workout or bike commute today.

Your meals sound good for being on the fly and your workouts seem really good too. Keep up the great work. ;)

keep it up, you are rocking the whole30!

Thanks! I had a hungry afternoon today. I think I better eat a little more food or pack some snacks for tomorrow.

"snack #1" unsweetened iced green tea mid-afternoon

snack #2. 1oz piece gourmet grassfed (bold original) jerky* while shopping for a few groceries.

snack #3. hard boiled egg while getting my act together for dinner.

meal #3. roasted salmon with basil/arugula pesto. mashed cauliflower. mushrooms and kale sauteed in a little coconut oil. a few (new! now without black mold!) cherry tomatoes. pellegrino with lime.

*testing this for possible use on a backpacking trip in a couple weeks--it was good! (if a little salty). salty is actually perfect for backpacking.

DAY 21

pre-workout snack: a few macadamia nuts

workout: DENSITY SUPERSET, 3 sets of each pair before moving on to the next exercise, 1 minute (or more!) of rest between supersets. Unless noted, I did the same number of reps/same weight for all three sets.

A1=DB Chest Press 8 reps w/30 lbs dumbells. 8 reps per set

A2=DB Pushups. 10 reps, 8 reps, 8 reps

B1=BB Squat 8 reps w/135lb

B2=Single Leg Squat. 12 each side

C1=Assisted Pullup 1st set: 8 w/115lbs assistance; 2nd set: 8 w/115lbs assistance; 3rd set: 6 w/115lb assistance

C2=Machine Row* w/#4. 10 reps, 8 reps, 8 reps

*should have been body weight row w/TRX, but someone was using it.

The goal here was to choose a weight geared around 8 reps with good form for the first exercise, and to fail at doing 12 reps for the second, similar exercise. good.

post-workout snack: some roasted sweet potato cubes and roast beef (applegate) right after the workout.

meal #1. more roasted sweet potato cubes and roast beef, 2 hard boiled eggs, broccoli, cherry tomatoes. iced cold press.

oh and I realized I haven't been logging this consistently, but I've been foam rolling before every workout lately, trying to keep my knee happy (rolling the quad helps this).

meal #2. salad of baby greens, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, scallions, avocado. with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, dijon dressing. grass-fed beef burger.

appointment downtown after work meant a quick bike ride home in the rain and almost dark, and another burger once I got there.

meal #3. grass fed beef burger. handful of cherry tomatoes, spoonful of macadmia nut oil mayo, bubbies pickle, kimchee. half a gingeraid kombucha.

DAY 22

woke up later than planned, so had a crazy morning rushing around. forgot a pre-workout snack.

workout: HILLS/BURPEES.

took Max's advice and did some barefoot hill intervals at Gold Medal Park this morning.

literally barefoot. ran* up the hill, walked down x10 reps.

*only in my world could this be called a sprint, but I ran as fast as I could.

then Burpees. 3 sets of 5 reps in the grass (on the flat).

then biked to the gym for a post-workout snack (some roast beef and sweet potato cubes) and a shower.

This met my criteria for cardio with flying colors (should feel like play, not like work. must not be boring/feel like I'm wasting my time.). I LOVED running in the dewy morning grass and the sunshine. so great :) .

meal #1. exactly the same as yesterday: more roasted sweet potato cubes and roast beef, 2 hard boiled eggs, broccoli, cherry tomatoes. iced cold press. have I mentioned the broccoli is lightly steamed? always. unless I mention that it's roasted.

meal #2. zuchinni noodles, shrimp, cherry tomatoes, more broccoli with basil/arugula pesto.

Archived