No, Chipotle, NO!!!!

Is this like the Mongolian restaurants that have a big round grill?  I would think that grill would be highly contaminated with soy and grains from all of the other dishes.  When I eat out, I ask for my meal to be grilled plain in a clean pan.  Amazing how good it can taste to simply get back to the basics.  Anyway, I'd worry about just about any grill at this point.  They all seem to be seasoned with soybean oil these days.

Also, the seasonings at my Mongolian place all seem to be suspended in an oil of some sort.  Canola...OK, I guess, but what if it is vegetable (Ie, corn or soy).  Maybe I will call and see what I can learn.  The veggie options are fun and I could add some cashews on top after having it grilled.

Yes that's the type of restuarant. The one I go to will spray the segment of grill down with water before cooking my food. IDK how much it helps, but at the point I'm at now (day 32), I'm not going to sweat something as minimal as that, all things considered. We're all on our own journey and being a busy working mom & wife with two kids (a non-W30 family), a job, and a house to maintain (as many of us do), there are some things that I can't mentally afford to stress over. I'd already gone through my first 14 days unknowingly having canned tuna that contained soy, partially why I'm extending now, and that stressed me out a lot. So if there are some particles of soy floating around on a grill at a restaurant that I've eaten at twice since starting W30, then so be it. :ph34r:

AHHHHH!!!!  That makes me very sad!  My weekly visits to Chipotle are now no longer.. I feel like I've had my heart broken. 

I just wrote them an e-mail begging for them to go back to their old formula for their carnitas, and any other meats to be soyfree..

Well, it was good eating with them while it lasted. 

Oh my I feel exactly the same! I'm so sad - I really looked forward to my weekly Chipotle salad :( Although me and my husband (aka fellow Chipotle fiend) were having a very in-depth discussion last night about how we think their portions are getting smaller...might be time to boycott...

Has anyone tried Qdoba? I think their carnitas is okay, if I'm reading there nutrition board correctly? I hope so!

http://www.qdoba.com/downloads/Qdoba_Allergen_Info.pdf

http://www.qdoba.com/menu-nutrition/mango-salad-menu-nutrition

Oh my I feel exactly the same! I'm so sad - I really looked forward to my weekly Chipotle salad :( Although me and my husband (aka fellow Chipotle fiend) were having a very in-depth discussion last night about how we think their portions are getting smaller...might be time to boycott...

Has anyone tried Qdoba? I think their carnitas is okay, if I'm reading there nutrition board correctly? I hope so!

http://www.qdoba.com/downloads/Qdoba_Allergen_Info.pdf

http://www.qdoba.com/menu-nutrition/mango-salad-menu-nutrition

Doesn't appear to be compliant. :(  All of their seasonings that they use on all of their proteins have sugar or sweeteners in one or more forms. :(

Doesn't appear to be compliant. :(  All of their seasonings that they use on all of their proteins have sugar or sweeteners in one or more forms. :(

OMG I just looked further down the list! Sooo many nasties in the seasonings arrrghhhh!

:( :( :(

Basically I wont be eating out anywhere for the next 23 days of Whole30...

So, they're moving to rice bran oil instead of soy b/c of the whole "non-GMO" movement it sounds like.

However, their ingredients list for carnitas still lists the same ingredients (ie, no soybean oil)... so do we trust the ingredients list or the allergen matrix?

Yeah I wanna know this!

Well...this sucks.....day 2 I took 4 sips of a smoothie then tossed it thinking it was too sweet to be paleo.....then that night I think Texas Roadhouse did my steak in butter when I said put anything on my food....today I find out the veg/canoila mix at work has soy in it.....and I ate at chitople twice thinking it was safe......so 5 slips in 5 days......it's SUPER hard to follow Whole30 to the letter when you travel. It's really upsets me but nothing I can do about it.....i'll except it as a learning experience and move on.....

Either way I think I'm getting results bc I've barely worked out and I can tell I loose a few around my middle :D

Here's the link for Moe's Southwest Grill.  I guess the only option there is fish.  :angry:  

http://www.moes.com/food/allergens/

And where exactly is the fish on the actual menu?  Nowhere!  Not listed as an option.

Rant:  Why do places go out of their way to offer 100% grass-fed beef, then cook it in soybean oil, or add dairy to it?

I'm curious -- I keep seeing people say Canola oil isn't compliant but they seem to think it's okay nevertheless...

It's a seed oil, and ISWF says it's one to avoid. W30 is NO seed oils, right?

Canola oil is allowed during the whole30, as are seed oils, actually, they just aren't recommended or encouraged. It's soy, corn and peanut oil that are not allowed (keep in mind that "vegetable oil" is likely soy or corn).

Seed oils generally have a bad omega 6 to 3 ratio as well as being quite unstable. They're definitely on the list to 'limit' but having them occasionally wouldn't mean you had to start over, though, obviously it's beter if you can avoid them. Eating out. especialy, it's not always possible.

I got this e-mail from Chipotle:

Thank you so much for directing us to the allergen card. As it turns out, a number of customers have pointed this out. The information there is inaccurate. The red check mark next to meats should be a blue check mark. The only soybean oil in the carnitas is a trace amount of soybean oil in some of the spice blends. We are working to switch this over to rice-bran oil. In the meantime, the highly refined soybean oil used in the carnitas is excluded as an allergen.

Here is a link to our ingredient statement, which enumerates the ingredients in each of our recipes: http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/ingredients_statement/ingredients_statement.aspx

• 4 weeks later...

Archived