Has anyone tried to take jars of baby food on an airplane? Did they let you? Two adults are traveling (no kids), so I don't know if that makes a difference either. Years ago, I tried to take a small container of peanut butter (within the allowed number of ounces), but it was confiscated (maybe because it was an international flight?). We will be traveling domestically.

"Medically necessary liquids and gels, including medications, baby formula and food, breast milk, and juice are exempt from the 3-1-1 rules, and are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding 3.4 ounces (100ml). They are not required to be in a zip-top bag.

Officers may ask travelers to open these items to conduct additional screening and passengers should declare them for inspection at the checkpoint.

Please be advised that passengers going on long trips should only carry on the medically necessary liquids and gels needed for their infant/toddler's immediate comfort during the flight. Please pack larger amounts of liquids for the remainder of the trip in a checked bag."

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/index.shtm

The rule is posted above, but if you're not travelling with an infant it could be a problem. TSA agents will be suspicious of someone carrying baby food or formula w/out a baby and might not allow you to take it on board.

(I travel probably 2x a month for business in the "on" season. I'm infinitely familiar with the weirdness of the TSA process. ;) )

I have travelled with baby food/milk/juice, but I had my toddler with me. You will need to establish "medical necessity" to carry liquids through with you. I don't think the TSA considers baby food a necessity for an adult, but maybe with a note from a doctor? Different airports/TSA agents are also different in how they screen you when you have these items. Even with a kid with me, I've had to go through extra screening in some airports and none in others. It just depends who you get.

I think peanut butter was some weird special case for a while, too, because it looks like plastic explosives on the scanners. I can't remember exactly, but I remember there was a peanut butter-related scare of some stripe.

I would probably just bring something else to avoid the hassle of TSA questions.

I think the thing about tuna is that the cans are sealed. It's pretty easy to tell if you've opened a can of tuna. :) Baby food, you could open, put something in the jar, and then reseal it in boiling water and no one would ever know.

But yeah, for the most part it is luck of the draw. If you have a TSA agent with common sense, then you're fine. If you get someone who can't think for themselves, then ... oh well.

Ice packs are generally ok if they are totally frozen...at the height of TSA weirdness I used to freeze oranges for my ice packs...I'm a flight attendant and never had a problem with them. I would think the baby food is a no-go if you are not traveling with a toddler or infant.

Archived