Pacific Northwesterners- I found awesome stuff at Win-Co!!

cupkayke

I was there today, picking up some produce and stuff for my non-Whole 30 family. I found Italian Tuna packed in olive oil, no soy; AND mustard with no sugar- Plochmann's Stone-Ground. I can't wait to make some "tuna salad" with the no-sugar-added dill pickles from Trader Joe's. The tuna was only $1.69 per can which seems really reasonable. 

That is awesome. You know..every time I go there, I wonder why I don't shop there more often and put the savings toward better beef and lamb. Wild Planet at Costco is about $2 a can so that is a really good choice. Do you by chance know the brand?

It looks like Genova- that's what the label says. Ingredients are: wild caught, solid light tuna, olive oil, salt.

WinCo can be great for staples, their bulk section is absolutely phenomenal- but I tend to steer away from most of their produce, especially things like pre-packaged greens and stuff. I've had some bad times with bagged salad mixes and so forth from them. I love that they're employee-owned, and headquartered in Boise, which is, in my mind, more local than Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.

I also really like Portland Fruit Company; they have locations on the west and east sides, lots of locally-grown and organic stuff too. 

Holy smokes. I didn't know Portland Fruit Company existed outside of their cute trucks that deliver to restaurants. Unless they are the ones that have been around forever on the Eastside close to MLK and one of the bridges. I havent been there in years. I will check them out. I dont buy meat or fish from Win Co. I tried once but it was pretty awful.

Two new places to shop. :)

Zuppans is across the street from me and New Seasons and Trader Joes 1/2 mile away. Albertsons is next door to my apt. It's easy to stick with those but definitely visiting Portland Fruit this weekend.

Susan- it's a different company than Pacific Fruit. There is one location on Beaverton-Hillsdale and one on Foster and 82nd. They have locally grown apples (not organic, I'm afraid, but I peel mine anyway) for as low as $.39/pound! They also carry local berries- there were wonderful organic strawberries the last time I was there.

I agree with you on WinCo meat- but I do occasionally get a huge pork shoulder and do pulled pork overnight in the oven. I put a rack under it so the fat drains away. I know it's not the best but it is So Good.

SpinSpin- I love their bulk section but I know that if I get coconut flour I'll be tempted to bake and then it'll be all over! I was a pastry chef/baker for years and years so this has been a little rough on me. 

I think I am probably thinking of a different company on the Eastside. They most probably are gone. It was over in the Warehouse district.

I watched the video. I eat fruit so rarely..as in pretty much never..or nuts. I'm assuming they have lots of veggies too? I saw lots of potatoes and onions. Kale, wild and other mushrooms, broccoli, asparagus and cauli would be up my alley. :)

I also have a Parsons Farms produce stand within walking distance. They are starting to have a good selection now. So many choices of food shopping in this town.

I am going to check out Portland Fruit because I am going in hunt of baby octopus at Uwjiama.

It's a food weekend. :0)

Oooh, I live near Parson's too! What neighborhood do you live in?

I need to go to Uwjiama; supposedly they have sweet potato noodles there! If you happen to see them, will you let me know?

I am in Lake Grove. My Parsons Farms is on Carmen.

You know the yam noodles are the ones with very little nutrition correct? They aren't banned but have you tried zucchini noodles? I am totally in love. I salt them and let them sit for 15 minutes. Then rinse and squeeze the water out. They have such an awesome texture when you do that. I will still investigate the noodles though. :)

Hey Portland ladies!

Susan, you're thinking of Sheridan's Fruit Co.  MLK and Oak.  Still there, going strong!  Love that place.  

Was just at WinCo last night, wish I checked for tuna.  Was also at Target-- they have Wild Planet tuna at Target, and also Sunbutter for 5.99.  Darn if I could find ANY bacon there with no sugar-- someone here said they got some that was Target's brand without, but on the packages I found third ingredient was, of course, SUGAR.

Hey, Portlanders!

Susan, my Parson's is on Multnomah- I live on Capitol Hwy. by PCC. I'm waiting for my spiral cutter to start making zoodles- don't worry about the Yam noodles if they're bad- I can wait until Tuesday for fake noodles! Plus I've got some spaghetti squash to get through as well.

@unchainedbrain- supposedly New Seasons has bacon without sugar, and I got some at Tails and Trotters in NE- it's really good but REALLY salty- I've been using it in recipes rather than as a breakfast side meat. Plus I found Turkey Keilbasa at Trader Joe's that is compliant, as well as some of their chicken sausages. What neighborhood are you in?

I have never seen no sugar bacon at New Seasons unless its the stuff they cure and make themselves which is awesome but at least my New Seasons told me they use "a little sugar". I really just use bacon as a condiment these days so I havent asked lately and only use it when not on a W30.

Cupkayke maybe I am just lame but I had the hardest time with my Zoodle maker at first. There is a little notch on the opposite side from the crank that you shove the veggie on to keep it stable. There was nothing about that in the directions. I had to Youtube it. :)

When it gets here, I'll make sure to look up the video.

I've never asked about the sugar in New Seasons bacon- someone who works in their meat department told me that was so; it's second hand info for me. 

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I'm in Portland too and I just started my first Whole30. Lots of great resources here, thanks for posting!

Have you checked out knowthyfood.com? I think it's the best resource for local pastured meat, farm-direct produce and lots of other great stuff. Pick-up is at the Warehouse market in the SE Brooklyn neighborhood.

I get a lot of my pantry staples at winco, lite olive oil for mayo, canned olives, tuna, anchovies, tomato sauce (classico tomato basil is compliant), and bulk stuff. I tend to get some of the cleaner items in their produce section, avocados, onions, garlic, stuff like that, but I try to get my "dirty dozen" at the farmer's market. Much of Winco's produce seems like it's not very fresh, I've seen some of it going bad right there on the shelf, so I tend to really pick and choose what looks fresh and get other things elsewhere.

Archived