Fat demons

I'm on day 16, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't doing this for weight loss, because if I step on the scale at the end of this and haven't lost weight I will have a total meltdown!

That aside the first two weeks were pretty kind to me, today is the first tough day. I had breakfast, went for a long walk with my dog and then lunch was rushed, which ended in me not eating enough protein and being hungry and crabby all afternoon. I came home and snacked on nuts (not good - but my first 'bad' thing on this whole 30)

Then for dinner - and my reason for writing this post. I just had a cauliflower pilaf with tilapia fried in coconut oil - so the pilaf was fried in coconut oil and the fish - now the fat demon is nagging me - telling me there was too much fat in that meal, how can I possibly lose weight eating all those calories from fat?

How do I shut him up? I know fat is supposed to be my friend, and I've been good so far, including fat at every meal - so how do I stop mentally calculating the calories in coconut oil and making myself feel like I'm failing?

To be honest I would say there was not enough fat in that meal especially if you didn't get enough fat/protein at lunch. 

Your very first sentence concerns me. I want to lose weight too. But at the end of the day I would much rather be healthy with a little extra weight. I would encourage you to look at all of the health factors in your life and write out where you have seen improvements. How are you sleeping? How is your energy? How is your digestion? How is your mood? How is your skin? How do your clothes fit? 

Our weight is simply a measure of our relationship with gravity. It really is such a poor indicator of our overall health.

If you have not read this article yet I highly recommend it. 

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

Making peace with the scale and your weight before the end of your W30 will be a huge success and will greatly improve your post W30 life.

• Moderators

Physibeth is right!

Now work with us here. You go light on protein at lunch, snack on nuts because you are hungry, and then worry that you ate too much fat at supper! The problem in your day was lunch and your afternoon snack.The oil from frying veggies and fish is probably not enough fat for a meal. I am glad you ate something when you were hungry - that is the right thing to do. The problem is that nuts are a bad choice. A mini-meal with protein, fat, and veggies is the ideal.

Tomorrow is day 30 for me. I primarily wanted to lose weight too. I know how you feel. I am a slave to the scale, (or at least I was ) however I did put it away for the month and wont bother with it until day 31. I was concerned with eating fat and way too many questions running in my head.

I finally thought just trust the process and the template. Don't question anything until after my 30 days are up. Easier said than done I know.

I had to try to shove my thoughts out of head and learn not to think so much.

It took 3 weeks to figure it out and realize I have been feeling good and I now love the way I look in my clothes and it is working.

So trust in the process.I highly recommend you read It Starts Wtih Food, if you haven't already.  Think of all the positives you may achieve besides weight loss. Read the forums, you are not alone. If you need a bit of encouragement, please post it and don't be shy to say how you really feel. We are all here to support one another throught it.

Thanks guys - today is a new day, and I'm going to really try and just go with the flow - problem is years and years of counting calories and eating low fat foods because they are 'good for you' doesn't just go overnight - but then that's why I'm doing this right?

The first week of the whole 30 for me was amazing with me dropping a lot of my baby weight that I've been totally unable to shift since I had her a year ago - my clothes are loose and suddenly I'm scared that somehow I'm going to start putting it back on if I eat too much fat! I know it's my insane brain, and I need to let it go. I am starting to see how protein and fat together keep you full - and it's amazing that I'm just eating 3 meals per day (sometimes a mini meal mid-afternoon) and no snacks!

I really want to embrace this whole process - it has made me realise how toxic my diet was, so I'm determined to stick with it and see it through - I'm reading It Starts With Food.

Yesterday's problems had a lot to do with my cupboards being depleted - when I have tons of fresh delicious ingredients to hand it's not such a problem - another lesson learned :)

You might be mentally calculating how many calories are in your coconut oil, but are you subtracting all the calories that are in the pasta or bread you aren't eating? The ice cream you aren't having after dinner? The glass of wine you aren't drinking with it? 

While it does take some getting used to to eat so much fat, you have to get your calories somewhere when you cut out all the carbs.

What's really helped me is to change the way my meals are structured. Instead of eating a skimpy breakfast and lunch and a big heavy dinner (I used to see a big dinner as a reward for making it through the day) ... now I have a big heavy breakfast (full of protein veggies and fat) and a reasonable lunch and a smaller/lighter dinner. The big breakfast keeps me from getting hungry all day, and since my largest meal is early in the day I know I have plenty of time to use it all up, even though it seems like a ton of food. I have been slowly losing weight, so I can see this method working for me. It did take some time to change my habits ... Definitely the hardest part! Just try to remember that food is fuel, and your body needs it to run. There's also the fat adaptation aspect, which suggests that your body will burn more fat if you feed it more fat.

Archived