Day 12 and feeling kind of bummed

This is day 12 of my first Whole30. Overall, this has been a great experience. I'm not having terrible cravings and I've seen a big improvement in my energy levels.

I know it's not just about weight loss, but I have to confess I'm starting to feel a little discouraged that I'm not seeing more of a difference in the way my clothes fit. I'm almost 7 weeks postpartum with my fifth baby. Before I got pregnant with her, I had finally lost all the weight I gained with my first pregnancy, and was back in the same size I was in college. Which was still not a tiny size, but a huge improvement over where I had been, and I was feeling really good about it. I gained about 40 lbs during my pregnancy. I'm not sure how much I had lost of that before I started Whole30, but I would estimate probably 20-25.

I've seen so many people talk about amazing results from their Whole30 - the weight just failling off, clothes becoming ridiculously big by the second week.

Even though I told myself repeatedly this was not just about weight loss, I guess I really thought in the back of my mind that I would see a difference in the way my clothes were fitting pretty quickly. I definitely have some weight to lose, I was eating a lot of crap before, drinking a root beer or two a day, lots of sugar in my coffee, candy whenever I craved it, and so forth.

The baby didn't sleep well, and I just feel kind of crabby and emotional today. I guess I just need a pep talk. My husband thinks this whole thing is pretty crazy, so I can't ask him to encourage me.

My husband thinks this is crazy too. And you are not crazy, I promise!!

I am in day 13 and I have seen a change in the way my clothes fit, but not a huge one.

I was a healthy water before I started and I guess that's part of it.

Are you sleeping well, that plays a major role in our body chemistry.

Hopefully the weight will come off for you in the last 2 weeks.

Good crud always make us girls feel better!!

And I'm sure a little of it is all the post pregnancy hormones.

Hang in there, even if your weight doesn't change, you are healthier and that is what really matters.

It's so different for everyone, it seems! Personally I didn't notice much change in my body until about Day 17, then I plateaued again until almost Day 30. And my overall weight loss by the numbers was fairly minimal. I think literally each person's experience with Whole30 is different, because our bodies are all unique. The main thing is that you feel better now than before!

Holy toledo! 5 kids, including a newborn??!!!

I would cut yourself some slack.  You've got so much going on with your body right now, plus you're not even half-way through the Whole30.  

Take it one day at a time, stick with the plan, and do your best. 

What GFChris said, times a million.  If you survive to the end of every day, you've got this life thing hacked way better than about 99% of the human population.  Give yourself a massive break.  And don't be wishing for drastic weight loss with a newborn.  That just ain't healthy.  You'll get there.  But not this very instant.  Big hugs.

Thank you so much everyone! I woke up on Day 13 and it was a new day. I'm still not thrilled with the fact that my jeans aren't feeling better, but I think day 12 was a bunch of things teaming up to create a melt down. Kill all the things stage, no noticeable weight loss, lack of sleep the night before, and feeling like all I do all day is cook, and my kids are still hungry all the time and complaining about the food I've worked so hard to fix.

I have some better perspective now. I'm not in this for just 30 days. I've spent almost 30 years (my birthday is Thursday!) trashing my body. The nine months before I was born weren't to hot either ;) This isn't going to be fixed in 12 days. Or 30. I'm trusting that my body is healing, and the weight loss part of that may not happen immediately.

I also let me kids finish off some of the "junk" that was still in the house, so they could stop asking for it. And I'm realizing I may not be able to completely fix their diets overnight either, but we will get there.

Thanks again for all the encouragement!

Here's my experience, for what it's worth:

I was a sugar-burner when I started my first Whole30. Because of this, I often ate more than I really needed during my first Whole30 because I was HUNGRY and my body wanted sugar, sugar, instead of fat and protein. As a result, I ate more fat and protein than I needed to feel satisfied - and ya know what, I think this was totally ok for my first Whole30. I was at a fairly healthy weight to begin with - and I probably added a pound of two during my first Whole30. (This made me panic a bit - but I tried my best to focus on the other benefits I experienced)

Round 2 of Whole30 (6 months later) was way different! I felt more satisfied with less. I became more of a fat-burner and could (for the first time ever) go on long runs with sustained, even energy throughout. I could eat 3 meals a day and not feel like I was starving between meals. I truly believe I was building upon the results and changes that happened during my first Whole30.

Now I eat a primal/paleo diet - basically a Whole30 with dark chocolate and wine, occasional cheese, butter and yogurt. I no longer have afternoon slumps in energy. I fall asleep fast and wake up feeling less sluggish. I can workout and I don't feel nearly as sore as I used to. I don't have the mysterious low back/ankle aches and pains that I had when eating a SAD diet. I look less "puffy". I've probably lost a few pounds and gained some muscle - but more importantly, I feel great and my mood is positive and steady.

Stick with it - this is a major change for your body. It often takes much more than 12 days for your body to become a fat-burning machine ;)

Archived