~Support Thread for Week of July 7th Starters/Continue-ers

sunnymama

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(I should have said I eat a lot - but mountains of veggies. Literally mountains....I love them!) meat portions aren't excessive...

That's me too....I love veggies, so eating lots of veg and salads is no issue for me, meat is also moderate. The only fat I'm really using is a teaspoon of coconut butter to cook, some nuts here and there, or a bit of olive oil to dress, and then a bit of avo...mostly at breakfast. 

That's me too....I love veggies, so eating lots of veg and salads is no issue for me, meat is also moderate. The only fat I'm really using is a teaspoon of coconut butter to cook, some nuts here and there, or a bit of olive oil to dress, and then a bit of avo...mostly at breakfast. 

I don't think that sounds like a lot of fat at all - perhaps too little according to the template?

I figure i'll give it 30 days - like you, I want the benefits of health and healthy eating. if the body composition changes are ones i'm not happy with, i'll work it out after that :P I think our bodies will go through a lot of changes over the 30 days - going to try and focus on the health benefits at the moment and just enjoy the food and the process!

It's a big change for most of us. Part of the program is to not obsess over fat or weight or even looking pudgy. I am sure most of us have been on some kind of whacky diet where you see some results right away (which are usually just loosing water) and then just gain it all back because the diet is unrealistic. I think I could live with this diet. I am eating more food at meals. But, I'm not snacking. I would always have a snack before bed, otherwise I would be too hungry to sleep. I don't do that now. And I'm not crazy starved in the AM either. I have to take my thyroid pill in the am and then can't eat for 1 hour (which is right about now!) and I am hungry, but don't have the shaking type of hunger pangs I would before. Same with lunch and dinner.

It's a big change for most of us. Part of the program is to not obsess over fat or weight or even looking pudgy. I am sure most of us have been on some kind of whacky diet where you see some results right away (which are usually just loosing water) and then just gain it all back because the diet is unrealistic. I think I could live with this diet. I am eating more food at meals. But, I'm not snacking. I would always have a snack before bed, otherwise I would be too hungry to sleep. I don't do that now. And I'm not crazy starved in the AM either. I have to take my thyroid pill in the am and then can't eat for 1 hour (which is right about now!) and I am hungry, but don't have the shaking type of hunger pangs I would before. Same with lunch and dinner.

haha- try telling a couple of bodybuilders not to worry about looking pudgy :P I think i'm doing well to let go of the scale, and food monitoring....but i'll be the first to admit I critique my physique a lot. i'm not here to lose weight, but i'd like to at least maintain what I do have!! I spent many years trying diet after diet, before adopting a huge lifestyle change that enabled me to lose 25kgs of fat, maintain it, then build muscle and prep for competitions. i'm very conscious of ending up back where I started...it's not about a number anymore, as I weigh about 5kgs more than the lowest weight I reached, similar size but with a lot more muscle and less fat - I do know how i'd like to look and feel though, and pudgy doesn't cut it!

Hello every one,

Great to see all this going on. I started yesterday 11th and wondered if it´s ok if I jumped in here too. ? 

This is my second attempt  First one being in May when I stupidly gave in on the 26th day. I didn´t really lose weight back then (but maybe "time of the month" ) had something to do with what the scales said and my giving in. 

The main thing was that after the first week I felt so good and I want to get back that feeling. 

Look forward to getting to know you all.

Hi Chati! of course you can jump in :) maybe you can help out us newbies with your experience from your first attempt...

do you think you lost size on the first one? and do you think you experienced intial "pudginess" like a couple of us have mentioned?

hope you're going well so far!

Bet - agree, loving that I am not snacking in between meals, and not having that crashing sugar levels dropping must get something into my mouth NOW feeling. I have an sluggish thyroid so also on meds, but doctor told me I have to wait only 15 mins before eating. It is a pretty low dose though. 

Amberino - I hear you and for a person who sounds like they were hyper controlled about what you eat, this must be quite challenging, but also quite liberating? We need to just enjoy the process and go with it...and give ourselves a break. We're doing great, so just keep on keeping on!

Thinking back to my 1st Whole30 in January, I'm pretty sure i felt pudgy before i felt smaller. I didn't lose a load, tbh, but i did develop a chronic addiction to Parma ham...! This time around, I'm making an effort to snack less, but it seems to have taken longer to get to the "oh look, my trousers feel looser" stage, hence my keeping it going. It does happen!

Not sure if it's what I'm eating, but I have had a great reduction in tummy woes, bloating and pudginess.  This is coming from a soda, sugar and carb addict though.  I know the rules, no weighing, but I just had to step on the scales this am and there was a 4lb difference between Monday and today (most of which I assume is water weight).  Reason #1 for me was to try and help my body get my GERD/IBS straightened out and hoping for 2ndly a weight loss and better fitting clothes.  So far, so good.  

Jen, I also feel much better as far as my tummy is concerned. I don't feel bloated and swollen as I used to. I didn't weigh myself, but I don't look smaller either and my clothes don't seem to be any looser. However, my primary goal is not to lose weight (although I REALLY don't want to gain weight/inches either).

Good morning! Meal one three eggs, raw 'kraut, tomato & zucchini mix sautéed, and sweet potato. (Eggs and veggies cooked in coconut oil.) Green drink.

This week I've had coffee two days of five so far. I'm trying to cut back as I'm concerned about toxins in the coffee I usually drink. Located Crio Bru as an alternative so the days I had coffee I had one cup coffee, one cup Crio Bru. This change has brought back headaches but I'm sort of okay with that and will just ride it out.

Not craving anything sweet wise this week, almost scared to type that for fear of jinx. So that's good.

Working on time management as much as staying compliant as I REALLY need to start working out. So that's my where I'm at and where I need to go.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Good Morning:  It is day five for me, feeling ok.  A few times yesterday I really wanted a coke.  I settled for another glass of water.  Just got to work and walked past the donuts in the kitchen.  They are going to be there all day aren't they, making eyes at me, flirting with me...saying hey come and get me. 

I got news for those temptress donuts, I am not biting (literally)

Ate a fantastic asian crock pot roast last night.  So yummy.  So easy.  Dinner was nearly ready when I got home, I just had to cook the vegetable.  Recipe is below.

5 lb boneless chuck roast
3 tablespoons Chinese five-spice powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
14 oz can organic beef broth (I used a little more than this to make sure the roast was covered)
¼ cup coconut aminos
---------------------------------------------------------------
1½ lb fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed
¼ cup coconut aminos
¼ cup spicy brown mustard
2 tablespoons sesame oil
¼ teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon pepper

Rub roast with five-spice powder, salt and red
pepper. Place in a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker;
add broth and coconut aminos. Cover and cook
on Low 6 hours or until tender. Shred with 2
forks before serving. Note: Cool and seal any
remaining roast in a zip-top freezer bag. Freeze
up to 1 month.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss peas,
coconut aminos, mustard, oil, salt and pepper in
a roasting pan. Roast 12 minutes or until
tender

That's so great Elizabeth! Donuts in offices are my pet peeve even as a sugar addict... why sugar crash the staff?!?! So unhelpful!

Good for you for staying strong!

I'm with you on that one. Recently they set up a snack machine in our office - you'd be really hard pressed to find ONE item which is healthy even by "conventional wisdom" standards - candy, energy drinks, "juice" full of high fructose corn syrup, instant soups... Yuck :P BTW, today is the first day when I didn't get the afternoon crash :) I'm not sure whether it's from food or just because I'm more busy than usual, but I'll take it.

Not sure if it's what I'm eating, but I have had a great reduction in tummy woes, bloating and pudginess. This is coming from a soda, sugar and carb addict though. I know the rules, no weighing, but I just had to step on the scales this am and there was a 4lb difference between Monday and today (most of which I assume is water weight). Reason #1 for me was to try and help my body get my GERD/IBS straightened out and hoping for 2ndly a weight loss and better fitting clothes. So far, so good.

Jen, that must be a fantastic feeling - it will be water weight, and from coming off the processed food/sugar/soda etc, but you'll get even better results as you go on and your body will love you :)

Are you suffering any cravings or withdrawal symptoms?

I dont think ive been as bloated, but had a pretty "clean" diet to start off with so not expecting huge changes in body composition. It is quite liberating to not care so much, after monitoring what I've been eating for so long. In the past few months I've had to monitor to make sure I was getting enough food to get the results I was aiming for, before that, I had a set diet for comps. I eat for health as well, and I want to try and work "better". It's funny, I stick to rules easily - while the whole

30 is more relaxed in a lot of ways, I can still be quite strict and stick to the rules :P

I'm with you on that one. Recently they set up a snack machine in our office - you'd be really hard pressed to find ONE item which is healthy even by "conventional wisdom" standards - candy, energy drinks, "juice" full of high fructose corn syrup, instant soups... Yuck :P BTW, today is the first day when I didn't get the afternoon crash :) I'm not sure whether it's from food or just because I'm more busy than usual, but I'll take it.

The only thing crazier is the same stuff in SCHOOLS! Congrats on the lack of crash! :-)

The only thing crazier is the same stuff in SCHOOLS! Congrats on the lack of crash! :-)

School canteen and staff rooms....equally as bad! One school I teach at has a couple of fruit bowls. Everything else is processed, refined flour, full of sugar etc.....we don't have so much of the HFCS problem, but so much "food" served is full of rubbish. It makes me mad!

Jen, that must be a fantastic feeling - it will be water weight, and from coming off the processed food/sugar/soda etc, but you'll get even better results as you go on and your body will love you :)

Are you suffering any cravings or withdrawal symptoms?

I dont think ive been as bloated, but had a pretty "clean" diet to start off with so not expecting huge changes in body composition. It is quite liberating to not care so much, after monitoring what I've been eating for so long. In the past few months I've had to monitor to make sure I was getting enough food to get the results I was aiming for, before that, I had a set diet for comps. I eat for health as well, and I want to try and work "better". It's funny, I stick to rules easily - while the whole

30 is more relaxed in a lot of ways, I can still be quite strict and stick to the rules :P

Yesterday I made my hardest trip to the grocery store yet.  I have to shop for my mother-in-law and her list of course included bread, saltines and strawberry ice cream.    The craving for sugar and carbs is always in the back of my mind and sometimes jumps to the forefront.  My slip-ups include of course the Tums incident yesterday, licking icing off my finger while taking the paper off a cupcake for my son at a birthday party and testing his mac n cheese to see how hot it still was and licking my finger after.  Both times I caught myself and spit what little taste I got into the sink because I do not want that monster to rear his ugly, sugary head at me full force.  It's been very hard at home as well.  Every turn I'm surrounded by pretty much junk and it's really starting to make me sad.  You don't realize how much crap you pick up at the store until you stop eating it.  No more junk food for me and during my grocery trip yesterday I decided to keep my LO out of the grocery store and try to transition him to a less "added sugar" lifestyle.  

My breakfast made up for any bad feelings I was having yesterday, oh and last nights dinner was pretty tasty too so all in all today is good, minus the sore throat and fatigue this morning.

That's so great Elizabeth! Donuts in offices are my pet peeve even as a sugar addict... why sugar crash the staff?!?! So unhelpful!

Good for you for staying strong!

The donuts are singing to me:

"Don't you want me baby, Don't you want me oh oh oh."

I am ignoring them.  I don't want them, I dont even like them that much.

Today is Day 6 for me.  This morning I awoke from my first sugar dragon dream!  In the dream I had just finished a healthy W30 meal and my son handed me a half pint of chocolate chip cookie dough frozen yogurt and I mindlessly put a big spoonful in my mouth.  I took one bite and then realized my crime and spit out the rest, with my family laughing at me.  I woke up in a panic!  In real, waking life I've been doing great, not really having too many cravins.  My friend asked me if I was feeling deprived and I realized I don't because I'm actually giving my self, my body, the best treatment I can give as far as I can tell.  I never felt this way counting calories or tracking points.

Last night's dinner was a big salad and the No-fuss Salmon Cakes from ISWF and they were GREAT. I used coconut flour instead of almond flour because it's all I had. 

The donuts are singing to me:

"Don't you want me baby, Don't you want me oh oh oh."

I am ignoring them. I don't want them, I dont even like them that much.

I've found things don't usually taste anywhere near as good as I think they will (or want them to)!! Keep ignoring...,your health is more important than a cold soggy doughnut.

Great job, congrats on facing the donuts so bravely :) However, Whole30 does strange things to people and sometimes you crave things you don't even really like. During my first attempt I woke up one night craving coke. Normally I drink coke maybe 5 times a year, only in some fancy cocktails and never after waking up at 3 AM ;) I honestly don't like the taste and yet that night all I wanted was coke ;)

Today is Day 6 for me. This morning I awoke from my first sugar dragon dream! In the dream I had just finished a healthy W30 meal and my son handed me a half pint of chocolate chip cookie dough frozen yogurt and I mindlessly put a big spoonful in my mouth. I took one bite and then realized my crime and spit out the rest, with my family laughing at me. I woke up in a panic! In real, waking life I've been doing great, not really having too many cravins. My friend asked me if I was feeling deprived and I realized I don't because I'm actually giving my self, my body, the best treatment I can give as far as I can tell. I never felt this way counting calories or tracking points.

Last night's dinner was a big salad and the No-fuss Salmon Cakes from ISWF and they were GREAT. I used coconut flour instead of almond flour because it's all I had.

I had weird dreams last night, they weren't food related though! I haven't remembered having dreams for a while....last nights were strange!!

I don't understand the "deprived" statement - you're eating so many good things, there's no room for the crap! Your dinner sounds lovely - it's too cold here for a lot of salads, we've been having more warm dishes. I love the freshness of salads though!

I know, I definitely don't feel deprived at all doing the W30.  But "dieting" in the past has definitely felt that way.  Good job "not liking" the donuts Elizabeth!

Lunch will be compliant chicken sausage and kale sauteed in olive oil, me thinks. And maybe half a sweet potato.

This weekend is my first big test.  Going to my parents lake house where we often go on summer weekends.  Lots of food, lots of wine.  My mother is very supportive and said she'd even abstain from wine with me!  I don't even care though.  I think I'm on a high from this new feeling of treating my body like the temple it is!  Wish me luck--Days 7 and 8 by the lake may be the trickiest yet.

Well done Elizabeth! I find that if i just ignore the naughties, I'm ok! I'm finding that pastries, sweets, desserts etc are less and less appealing. I had to go into a French patisserie today to buy my other half some rye bread (he's not doing ISWF) and I didn't even give the macaroons and pastries a second glance! Yay me! I also paged through a mag with lots of recipes and pix of savory tarts, and I was so fine.

Still.....I know this weekend (day 6&7) will be challenging, no glass of wine, but that's ok too when I think about how I would feel the morning after with my allergies going crazy!

Archived