~Support Thread for Week of July 7th Starters/Continue-ers

sunnymama

Elizabeth, are you eating 4-5 meals? I'm pretty sure BF women are supposed to eat more to ensure the nutrients are getting in!

I've felt rubbish for most of today.....headachey....nauseous....foggy. We had a friend over for dinner, and I had planned on having some fruit as kind of "dessert", but couldn't even face it! It wasn't missed though :) friend loved her zucchini/carrot noodles and kangaroo bolognaise - even went back for more noodles. We did have some Parmesan in the freezer, so she had some of that on top.

Fiona, if you're getting enough starchy veggies, you shouldn't be in ketosis? I'm not exactly sure how low carb you need to go....but I'd presume if you were eating enough veggies your carb intake would be high enough to not get in to that state?

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fiona, if you're getting enough starchy veggies, you shouldn't be in ketosis? I'm not exactly sure how low carb you need to go....but I'd presume if you were eating enough veggies your carb intake would be high enough to not get in to that state?

Hmmm I think you might be right. I think I'm getting enough in, prob not enough at breakfast and lunch though, so I shall be a bit more conscious of that.

Any comments on whether a coffee / cocoa with coconut milk in between meals counts as a snack? I'm trying to keep those and my 2 fruits to within the same hour that I eat my 3 meals, as I remember reading somewhere that snacks in any form are not great for your hormones / insulin but does coconut coffee / cocoa count as a disruptive snack?

My boyfriend and I made the paleo (whole30 compliant) sausage egg mcmuffin  (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/53107778638/paleo-sausage-egg-mcmuffin) this morning. It was simple, fun to make, and most importantly, delicious! We used the breakfast sausage I had ordered from US Wellness. I highly recommend US Wellness, by the way! I think it's great for the hard-to-find meats with no sugar in it.

Good day today, again  :) As someone who's had mild depression for about 27 years, being in such a good mood for days at a time is worth fighting off any number of biscuit cravings! (Can someone please remind me i said that, next time a craving hits? Ta!)

Breakfast - mince, pumpkin/butternut squash, roasted meditteranean veggies & a duck egg, with some sauerkraut

Lunch - my family were all having a takeaway pizza, i respectfully declined (i spent the whole afternoon semi-conscious last time i "indulged"), so i made this instead: mince, mediterranean veg, greens, olives, preserved lemons & homemade ketchup.

Snack - macadamias & dried figs. Gotta watch those figs  :ph34r:

Dinner - kahlua pork (it's been in the slow cooker since 6am* & it smells lovely!) with red cabbage & apples.

*the old me is shaking her head & saying "you were up at 6am cooking pork?", to which i smile & say "No, i got up at 5:30am"  B)

Day 5 done :) I just need to clean the flipping mess I made in the kitchen ;)

Today I felt worse than yesterday - generally tired and cranky...

Foodwise the day was OK. I ate a tsp of almond butter while I was making it, but surprisingly I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I felt heavy after eating it so I had some wild blueberries to un-heavy myself and it helped :) I also made my own ghee.

Tomorrow is going to be hard - I go to my dad's birthday party. I asked my parents to make something compliant, but we'll see what they come up with. I may end up having to eat last minute scrambled eggs or something. My parents are not very respectful of my "crazy diets" (to justify them... there have been A LOT of crazy diets in my life). I hope for the best though :)

BTW, do you know how there are no slip ups on this program unless you trip and fall into a box of donuts? So I had a slip up today. For real :) I didn't fall into donuts, but while I was making dinner I reached to the cupboard for something and I knocked down a box full of sprinkles (you know, the colorful sugary bits for decorating cakes). The box fell down, broke open and some of the sprinkles landed in the pan with my cauliflower risotto ;) I didn't want to throw it all away so I took out the "decoration" as best I could, but maybe I had 0,1 gram of sugar with my dinner today ;) Not to mention effing sprinkles all over my kitchen ;)

Day 6 whole "30"number 2

I was going to keep a food log and make all my meals photo worthy ... But I am too tired this time around 😢

Too tired even, to kill all the things...

I think menopause may be rearing her "ugly" head....

I did my first whole 30 in April ...as a non smoker this time around!!! and iI did Paleo + an occasional sweet treat, corn tortillas, OJ and beer through June 26.... When the slope got CRAZY slippery!

(Beer, buttercream frosting, buttermilk biscuits, .jr mints etc)

and feeling, sleeping, looking like crap (acne, deep dark circles under my eyes,stuffy nose, bloating and noticeable weight gain, and I am a moody hot mess... Again )

I really think wheat is a BIG problem for me.

I believe my body and brain REQUIRES that I eat Paleo / whole 30, so I am using my July 8-July 31 whole 23 ( ??)

To hone my skills and make the hard part of Paleo /whole 30 easier( less exhausting/time consuming) for me ( shopping, planning, food prep, cooking and cleanup) and do the official whole 30 in August.... And beyond ...In style. 😄

Day 6 whole "30"number 2

I was going to keep a food log and make all my meals photo worthy ... But I am too tired this time around

Too tired even, to kill all the things...

I think menopause may be rearing her "ugly" head....

I did my first whole 30 in April ...as a non smoker this time around!!! and iI did Paleo + an occasional sweet treat, corn tortillas, OJ and beer through June 26.... When the slope got CRAZY slippery!

(Beer, buttercream frosting, buttermilk biscuits, .jr mints etc)

and feeling, sleeping, looking like crap (acne, deep dark circles under my eyes,stuffy nose, bloating and noticeable weight gain, and I am a moody hot mess... Again )

I really think wheat is a BIG problem for me.

I believe my body and brain REQUIRES that I eat Paleo / whole 30, so I am using my July 8-July 31 whole 23 ( ??)

To hone my skills and make the hard part of Paleo /whole 30 easier( less exhausting/time consuming) for me ( shopping, planning, food prep, cooking and cleanup) and do the official whole 30 in August.... And beyond ...In style.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Glad you're here, Bethann.  And a super huge congrats on the quit smoking.  I am a former smoker also (quit for good two years ago) and also think Paleo is something my body needs to first heal from the neglectful damage I've caused and then to maintain and reach optimal health.  Wishing you all the best!      

Good compliant day but I was really tired all day.  I mean REALLY.  I think it was from dinner last night.  We were at a co-worker's gathering and instead of a pasta dish they prepared I had sausage and peppers and peaches.  I only had one sausage because I was hungry and needed the protein but tend to steer very clear of conventional meats and I wasn't sure if it was or wasn't conventional and didn't want to grill the hosts.  There were definitely no grains or cheese, it was just a crock pot with sausage and peppers and maybe onions in it.  

Anyway, next time I will just go without protein rather than eat something I'm unsure of.   Had it not been a work day I would have eaten before I got there but I didn't think about it enough in my rush to get kids and go over there. Lesson learned and moving on :wacko:               

I am having peaches and cream!!!

Relax, it's just coconut milk with fresh sliced white peaches. Not bad.

We've had coconut milk on frozen berries a couple of times - it kind of sets! And is yum...although nothing dessert like about it.

And peaches!! Yum...not in season here :(

Day 5 done :) I just need to clean the flipping mess I made in the kitchen ;)

Today I felt worse than yesterday - generally tired and cranky...

Foodwise the day was OK. I ate a tsp of almond butter while I was making it, but surprisingly I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I felt heavy after eating it so I had some wild blueberries to un-heavy myself and it helped :) I also made my own ghee.

Tomorrow is going to be hard - I go to my dad's birthday party. I asked my parents to make something compliant, but we'll see what they come up with. I may end up having to eat last minute scrambled eggs or something. My parents are not very respectful of my "crazy diets" (to justify them... there have been A LOT of crazy diets in my life). I hope for the best though :)

BTW, do you know how there are no slip ups on this program unless you trip and fall into a box of donuts? So I had a slip up today. For real :) I didn't fall into donuts, but while I was making dinner I reached to the cupboard for something and I knocked down a box full of sprinkles (you know, the colorful sugary bits for decorating cakes). The box fell down, broke open and some of the sprinkles landed in the pan with my cauliflower risotto ;) I didn't want to throw it all away so I took out the "decoration" as best I could, but maybe I had 0,1 gram of sugar with my dinner today ;) Not to mention effing sprinkles all over my kitchen ;)

Rainbow risotto sounds delightful :)

I was also tired...can I have some energy back, please?

Hope the party goes well - fingers crossed there's something you can have! I always ask if I can take a dish to parties so at least I know there'll be something I can eat. Either that, or we take our own food! We're used to it, our friends think its normal or doing the same....

Could you pack a meal just in case?

Uhmmm... Had a very early and very rough morning... I was up at 4:45 AM (not my idea of a weekend morning) and was in no mood for cooking at all... I got hungry but couldn't even think of meat or eggs... So I had a technically OK breakfast of fruit, almond butter, shredded coconut and coffee. I feel a bit guilty, but hey, at least I didn't inhale yogurt and cereal, which I also considered briefly.

About 3 hours later I got hungry again, but this time I was really good and had 2 eggs, a tomato, 1/4 avocado + more coffee. I'm really determined to stay complaint although I start having those pesky thoughts along the lines of "why the hell can't I just eat like everybody else???"

Uhmmm... Had a very early and very rough morning... I was up at 4:45 AM (not my idea of a weekend morning) and was in no mood for cooking at all... I got hungry but couldn't even think of meat or eggs... So I had a technically OK breakfast of fruit, almond butter, shredded coconut and coffee. I feel a bit guilty, but hey, at least I didn't inhale yogurt and cereal, which I also considered briefly.

About 3 hours later I got hungry again, but this time I was really good and had 2 eggs, a tomato, 1/4 avocado + more coffee. I'm really determined to stay complaint although I start having those pesky thoughts along the lines of "why the hell can't I just eat like everybody else???"

Magda, I've had the same thoughts myself......it's not even that I want rubbish, just something else!! I must admit, we never had massive issues prior to starting so when the changes aren't massively obvious it's hard to stick to sometimes. like tonight when I could quite happily have dinner then dessert!

I am noticing a change in attitude towards food though, and loving not thinking about food or eating constantly. not weighing and measuring is also a great change. I think these are the main benefits i'm going to get out of the whole 30 experience - I will plan on reintroducing foods just to see if anything does cause issues. i'll try and avoid these these things, but I think have a more relaxed plan. perhaps the rest of the whole 30 will uncover even more positives!! :)

Hi all,

Beginning of Day 7. I'm having a great experience so far but woke up feeling pudgy, read the days email and have resolved to make a few changes:

Cut out snacking entirely - I've allowed myself small psychological but compliant snacks through the first week

Eat nuts only occasionally - a road trip last week resulted in me eating almost all of a bag of pistachios

Exercise more - 2x this week, aiming for 4

More veggies - I'm eating lots but my ratios of protein:fats:veggies don't feel like they are where they should be

Day 7, I have a headache and post nasal drip. UGH. I do think that has more to do with the weather (overcast and humid) than food. But I was hoping doing AI, along with eliminating dairy would help on that score.

MAGDA and AMBERINO, I definitely get what your saying, especially coming off a weekend with family where my eating was different. But AMBERINO you were saying that your attitude about food and toward food is changed for the better and you've eased off on yourself (not measuring, counting, obsessing). THAT, for me, is a huge improvement. It's true for me too, and I like that change so much, I'm already wondering how will I eat when I'm off the Whole 30? And I'm only 8 days in now!

I'm sure you've both visited NomNom Paleo, but if you haven't, her recipes really mix it up and make food exciting.

Day 7, and I'm feeling good. Had a 3 egg omelette with salmon and Avo for breakfast, with some grapefruit pieces, and 6 hours later I was still feeling ok! I had a very late lunch of a small tuna salad with carrots and olives, I need to make me that mayo! I bought a slow cooker on Friday, and got it on the go this morning with a shoulder of lamb for supper. Probably with some sweet potato. Yum can't wait!

Still not drinking enough water, I really battle with that in winter, particularly on the weekend. When I'm at my desk during the week, its much easier with that 2 liter water bottle!

Like a few have mentioned, I'm having that why can't I just eat what everyone else is eating *stomps feet* but it's short lived. Physically, I'm feeling lighter, both in body composition (that pudgy feeling is gone Amberino!) and in my constitution.

This week I need to get back to excercise after a weeks absence due to being sick. Looking forward to that and will also be interesting to see how my body copes with energy requirements vs what I'm eating.

Overall, I feel much more in tune with my body, and that is a very good thing!

Oh cclarkthirty thank you for the nom nom paleo referral. I just checked it out-- great stuff!

Sunnymama, i can't believe you've survived this far without visiting nomnompaleo  ;) May i also recommend PaleOMG - terrible name, tasty food, plus she also has a cookbook out now.

Another most excellent day  :D

Breakfast - mince, kale, sweet potatoes & a duck egg, with sauerkraut

Lunch - leftover kahlua pork, red cabbage & apples & bbq sauce, with gingered carrots. A few cherries after

Snack - a few dried figs & some macadamia nuts

Dinner - shallot tarragon cherry chicken & sweet potatoes & greens

Had a splendid afternoon with the kids & their cousins in the park, topping up the old vitamin D levels  B) Plus i've made up another batch of breakfast sausage for the next few days, woohoo! And i have pork skin in the fridge ready to be baked to crispy perfection, double woohoo!!  :lol:

Day 6 done :) I stayed strong during dad's birthday dinner. Luckily they made a compliant main dish - baked salmon with dill and lemon + seasonal salad. Everybody else also had potatoes, but I just skipped them. I also skipped cheesecake and ice cream :( Had some cherries for dessert instead. I feel slightly puffy today... Otherwise it's OK.

Can I have a recipe for tarragon shallot cherry chicken please? :)

Well I found out my coconut milk isn't compliant, it has sulfites in it. So I'll have to find another. I wonder if that's why I was head-achy and stuffy this morning, I had some last night.

I made breakfast and lunches for the week. Breakfast is again ground pork and shredded sweet potato fritters. I also nuked 2 packages of chopped frozen spinach that I can warm up and have as a side. Lunch is a rotisserie chicken split up and two different sides. On is a quickie butternut squash 'soup' which is just microwaved cooked squash with coconut milk and salt and cinnamon in it (tastes just like Pumpkin Pie! Too SWYPO?). The other is a spaghetti squash that I baked and I will now scrape the contents out of. I normally love it with butter and romano cheese, but I'll have to settle for coconut oil and salt.

Somehow I missed that sulfites weren't compliant. I bet my red wine vinegar has 'em. Need to check that. I'm feeling pretty proud of myself for today. I am sitting in the airport waiting for my son to arrive, and I've been out since 11 this morning, having spent the middle of the day at my cousin's bridal shower and before and after that in the car! So when I left this morning, I packed a cooler with more compliant food than I could possibly eat. Before I went in to the shower I munched on leftovers of grilled salmon and kale sauteed with onion and sweet potato. At the shower I picked at raw veggies and a few nuts, but not too too many. I drank water the whole time while everyone around me was drinking wine and this incredibly yummy looking punch. Then in the parking garage before I went in to the airport, I ate a couple of hardboiled eggs and some left over salad (with avocado and tons of veggies in it). My energy has felt even all day, which is incredible. And airports are, for some wierd reason, a real trigger for me. Usually, I think I use travelling as an excuse to eat poorly so I associate airports with sugary, carby food choices that make me feel good short term. But today, I walked past it all with my head held high! Is that the smugness someone mentioned?

I'm having fun creating all my own things - I never looked in to "paleo" eating before this, but I'm creative in the kitchen and we've been loving all the meals I've made :)

Day 8...I think? Felt so much better yesterday, woken up feeling ok today - and hungry! Off to make some eggs :) Fiona, I'm feeling a little less pudgey too - slimmer round the middle I think. G and I both notice we're more calm, after attending a wellness seminar on stress yesterday it kind of made me realise how this way of eating negates many of the bodies natural "stress" reactions.

Cclark - I definitely think the attitude change is a huge benefit, and I'm sticking to the whole 30 - I'm good at sticking to things, so once I've set myself the goal it gets done! I'm looking forward to seeing what others changes happen during the rest of the time.

Archived